street fighter trd files

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

street fighter trd files

Post by kegnkiwi »

Hi everyone,
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to play these games on the ngo and if so how to get them to work. I'm not even sure its possible. I think is from a ZXuno.https://zxonline.net/game/fighting-street/
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: street fighter trd files

Post by bob_fossil »

No, you need a ZX-EVO machine which is an advanced version of the Spectrum originating from Russia. It was the next Spectrum before the Spectrum Next. :)
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Post by kegnkiwi »

oh that's a shame it looked like a good game.
Z80
Drutt

Post by Z80 »

In fact, it runs in the "TS-Mode" offered by the ZX Evolution.

Honestly, it feels similar to Jim Bagley's "RAMS" core for the Next (in short, it's a full 64K RAM, 320x256 full screen, full colour mode that can run 8080 / Z80 based original arcade games), and I'd really like someone to make a core for the Next bringing full TS-Mode compatibility, because there are quite some nice games already available.

Note that NedoPC also provides interesting sound improvements. They're initially intended for the ZX Evolution / ATM because they use the ZX Bus inherited from the Pentagon, but it's almost the same as the regular ZX Spectrum expansion bus (with multiple slots and IDC connectors instead of the wobbly edge connector), so they can easily be connected to a regular ZX Spectrum.

First they issued the TurboSound FM that uses a pair of YM2203, which is an improved version of the classical AY-3-8910/YM2149. The YM2203 is actually compatible programmation-wise, with added commands for the FM functions, so the existing 3 x AY that are built inside the Next's FPGA could just be replaced by 3 x YM2149 without losing anything in terms of compatibility, and I'd really love to see this done. Hardware wise, the YM2203 doesn't have internal DAC converters (they probably lacked room on the chip), so external chips must be added, usually the YM3014BF (one per YM2203).

Then they added a General Sound extension giving astounding results, but honestly, just the TurboSound FM is fantastic already, and its compatibility with the original TurboSound would make it an extraordinary improvement to the Next, if there are enough remaining free circuits...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@Z80,

I'm sure that if the ZX-Evolution had a distributer in the UK or western Europe it would have been bigger than the Next. It's a very exciting machine, but outside Russia there is sadly little interest. It's not really been picked up by the Spectrum scene outside of Russia

I was told (before the world events) that Russia does not have access to Kickstarter or similar, but if you are in contact with the developers maybe suggest linking up with a supplier so it has availability like the ZX-Uno, then maybe English language support and take-up would grow.

I'm in contact with Vitality about the price to purchase from Russia, and once the world events have settled I'm looking at purchasing one. I'm happy to proof read any English language documentation.

@Pegaz suggested a ZX-Evolution forum section, if interest in the platform increases, I think it's a great idea.
Xela
Drutt

Post by Xela »

Z80 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:06 pm Then they added a General Sound extension giving astounding results.
General Sound existed long before NedoPC and ZX Evolutoin.

And by the way, I connected General Sound to the ZX Spectrum Next, just as it was connected to the ZX Spectrum/+2/+3 before me.
SaNchez
Drutt

Post by SaNchez »

@PeterJ It's actually a very good idea to make a section about ZX-Evolution. There are several firmwares out there, and the adherents of the two most popular ones, Pentevo and TSConfig, hate each other. That should spice up this forum ;)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Agree with @SaNchez I know nothing of these machines and it seems such a shame.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:52 pm Agree with @SaNchez I know nothing of these machines and it seems such a shame.
May I suggest you to read the Spectrumpedia, Vol. 2 ? ;)