Keyboard membrane problem on issue 2 16K Spectrum

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Sabreman64
Drutt

Keyboard membrane problem on issue 2 16K Spectrum

Post by Sabreman64 »

I've owned my issue 2 16K Spectrum for about 40 years. Three years ago I bought a 48K upgrade pack to upgrade my Spectrum, as I thought it was about time I upgraded it with the necessary chips instead of messing about with that stupid Cheetah RAM pack all the time.

I didn't get around to fitting the chips in my Spectrum. However, like a lot of other people, I received my Next from the second Kickstarter last week. This prompted me to dig out my Spectrum for the first time in years to check that it still worked. So I set it up yesterday and turned it on.

Unfortunately my Spectrum has a fault. Although almost all the keys work, the right-hand half of the top row of keys (6 to 0) don't work. Since it's one half of a row of keys, I'm guessing the fault is with the keyboard membrane. I'm also guessing that this is a fairly simple repair job - replace my 40-year-old keyboard membrane with a brand new one.

As I live in the UK, can anyone recommend a reliable UK seller of new good quality Spectrum keyboard membranes?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Keyboard membrane problem on issue 2 16K Spectrum

Post by Alessandro »

I bought some from Data Serve Retro years ago:

https://www.dataserve-retro.co.uk/conte ... brane.html

They are of very good quality. However the website says that "The website shop is currently closed due to illness and you will not be able to buy products. We hope to be back selling in the New Year. Sorry for the inconvenience."
Redgatemodels
Drutt

Post by Redgatemodels »

I’ve fitted one of these to my Issue 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324185843979
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I use membranes from RWAP, as sold on Sell My Retro https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... brane-2502

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Retroleum are always highly regarded:

https://www.retroleum.co.uk/keyboard-parts-spectrum

Their kit gives you a soft plastic wedge ideally shaped for raising up the faceplate without damaging it, which saves you searching for something suitable in your drawers.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Sabreman64
Drutt

Post by Sabreman64 »

Thanks for the various suggestions. I decided to order the membrane from Retroleum today (they reopened today after Christmas), because they had a couple of other things I ordered at the same time - some double-sided tape strips for reattaching the faceplate and some replacement new rubber feet for the Spectrum, power supply, Interface 1 etc.

As well as replacing the keyboard membrane and fitting the chips for the 48K upgrade, I need to fix one other problem which is a common one with issue 2 Spectrums, and a problem I've had pretty much ever since I've owned my Spectrum - changing the white in my Spectrum display from yellow to white. I know that I have to adjust the two variable resistors, but I've read that a non-conductive screwdriver is recommended. Does anyone know where I can buy a small non-conductive screwdriver that will fit the holes in the variable resistors?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

You don't need a non-conductive screwdriver to adjust the two variable resistors ("presets" VR1 and VR2). A metal (but non-magnetic) screwdriver should be fine. Keep in mind that it's very small movements that are needed.

Try not to touch the metal shaft though. Hold by the plastic handle.

It's the variable capacitors (TC1 and TC2) that should be adjusted with a non-conductive screwdriver. But my recommendation is not to adjust these unless you have a very good reason. Thermal drift means that whatever you do, it's not realistic to expect an adjustment of these to "stay good" for long.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.