WOOT 2023 released!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Re: WOOT 2023 released!

Post by EdToo »

Tapeworm is so simple (only one key) and yet so tough, my brain struggles with the concept of direction change. 4 feeds and I'm done.
Roasty just seems to want to bounce into the enemies or refuse to jump when needed. This could be a frustrating Xmas :snowman
deanysoft
Dizzy

Post by deanysoft »

I've played through some this afternoon - some great stuff here and I've still got a lot more to play.

Jeff's Christmas Tat is supposed to be hard! but not so that you can't beat it. I guess I played it too much. People can always snapshot (bah! cheating!)

I see my shooty demo didn't make the final cut - that's not a complaint, only an observation - it can always be added to the archive though.

I too had difficulty with Roasty (nice spud graphic) which refused to do what I wanted after turning the oven on (why is the isolator switch so far from the oven!) (BECAUSE THAT'S THE GAME!) :santa
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

EdToo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:34 pm Roasty just seems to want to bounce into the enemies or refuse to jump when needed. This could be a frustrating Xmas :snowman
deanysoft wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:30 pm I too had difficulty with Roasty (nice spud graphic) which refused to do what I wanted after turning the oven on (why is the isolator switch so far from the oven!) (BECAUSE THAT'S THE GAME!) :santa
Best technique is to remember that you don't jump when you're walking, so walking on the spot gives you control, and you can walk and pause at the right moment to jump when you like:

Still not easy though!
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Exactly where I was stuck I'll try again tomorrow I don't want to let a spud down if they are eager to fulfill their Xmas destiny.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I also go stuck here.

But die hard is on now, so I'll try again later:)
C.Born
Manic Miner

Post by C.Born »

Hello and happy and peacefull christmas wishes for the whole wide world.
the giga tape is best viewed in the retro virtual machine or perhaps a real machine? its reported that Spin does a good job in steadyness aswell?
btw my name is without an 'e' , it wont hinder. :snowman.

peace on your path where ever you go
deanysoft
Dizzy

Post by deanysoft »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:19 pm Best technique is to remember that you don't jump when you're walking, so walking on the spot gives you control, and you can walk and pause at the right moment to jump when you like:
aha! sneaky.. ;)

I will try again...
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

That WOOT tape magazine is certainly a long one, but there's a lot to check out :)

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Sorry for not participating this year—was too busy with other things. Looking forward to checking out this year’s issue!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Rosetta solved. It is wonderful! ;)
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Andre Leao wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:03 pm Rosetta solved. It is wonderful! ;)
It is a fun puzzle.
Last edited by EdToo on Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Andre Leao wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:03 pm Rosetta solved. It is wonderful! ;)
Congrats. It took me several takes to get my Egyptian Pharaoh voice right ;-)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

So far, I think I’m most impressed with the methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl . . . demo. :shock:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Just downloaded it, I am sure it will be as excellent and hilarious as the previous instalments! And maybe even more! :dance
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I did consider contributing some little mini-game for Woot and got into thinking about it a month ago. All kinds of ideas, like a daft UDG-based one-screen platformer or an Adrian-Mole-style multiple-choice text adventure based on one of the greatest moments in television history. But as is always the case with me, never had the time and as things got nearer and I felt last week would have been the time to get it done, bang, a very heavy cold took me out!

Anyway, very very pleasantly surprised to learn that, without doing any coding or anything creative really, I've ended up kind of contributing to this year's Woot! Really chuffed at how the Titin demo has come out. However, I spotted a typo at byte 92784 and this has really ruined everything and I demand that this be pul... nah, only pulling yer leg! Thanks for doing this!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

SCREEN$ reAImagined. Spectrum art made with AI. Looks cool! :)

equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Very enjoyable as always. Thanks everyone.
I have done RZX solution recordings of some of the games:

* Blocktor Woot
* Colour Fusion
* Crazy Christmas
* Operation ROTADACI
* Pepe's Day Out
* Roasty!
(and I may possibly decompile and solve that GAC space adventure some other day)

Maybe somebody would be kind enough to drop me a reminder when these titles are added to the SC archive, so I can upload the RZX files?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Maybe somebody would be kind enough to drop me a reminder when these titles are added to the SC archive, so I can upload the RZX files?
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ew_rzx.php

It was made as temporary solution but it seems that it will last for years ;)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Ralf wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:21 pm https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ew_rzx.php
It was made as temporary solution but it seems that it will last for years ;)
Yup -- but the game has to be listed in the main archive before that form will work.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I've just solved the first puzzle in Imprisoned, and I needed a clue for that. I won't tell you how long I've been faffing around in the dark :oops:
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:05 am I've just solved the first puzzle in Imprisoned, and I needed a clue for that. I won't tell you how long I've been faffing around in the dark :oops:
Enjoy the light while it lasts :snowman
C.Born
Manic Miner

Post by C.Born »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:18 pm Yep @C.Born recommends Retro Virtual Machine. It works in SPIN too.

If flickers badly in Spectaculator.
https://retrovirtualmachine.org/

hi
pitty for such payed for emulator !!

the problem with many emulators is actualy the same as for creating a stable view for a gigascreen simulation.
its T-state counting.
eg Fuse has a single program box with every thing has to happen inside. If you use F4 for speed at 10% or 0% then literally the whole window gets slower. even in GTK mode.
RVM has a different solution. they create a stable "floor" which apears tstate precise and on that floor they build the emulator.
I work on linux and do the fast program work with pasmo and fuse and the showing with RVM.
RVM is a bit silly in its tape use, if you click the STOP button twice it completly ejects the tape and you have to re-select it with the openmenu ...
not handy i think.
but for your eyes its a great and VERY steady emulator, promise!!
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

C.Born wrote: I work on linux and do the fast program work with pasmo and fuse and the showing with RVM.

but for your eyes its a great and VERY steady emulator, promise!!
RVM is a very different experience. The other emulator I tried flickered badly.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Just discovered there is a checkbox for gigascreen under display settings in ZXearUX which removes all of the flickering.

Combined with smart load makes this a very different experience.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I will get round to this wonderful bundle... eventually. Maybe the 29th, maybe as late as early January. But I'll do it, and I'll do it on the Next (apart from the Gigascreen thing).

I might start planning for next year's offering already - there must be something I can hold back from the CSSCGC that might otherwise have condemned me to host the competition a second time...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!