Robot Santa (???) a MIA game?

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Robot Santa (???) a MIA game?

Post by Ralf »

Some very weird case here.

I have a game image on my hard drive called Robot Santa. Actually it's just the name of the file as there isn't any title in the game itself and the loader is just called RS. The file date is 2014.

I don't remember where I got it and Google returns nothing.

Some pictures:

And the game download:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/07syv7

IMaybe it's not a full game, but rather some work in progress.
Anybody recognizes it? It is a MIA that should be added to the database?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Robot Santa (???) a MIA game?

Post by R-Tape »

Aah I remember that. It was SimonLCFC's game, he started to become a bit of a graphics wizard but went quiet (on forums at least).

I don't think it was ever fully finished, it deserves a ZXDB ID though.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Aah I remember that. It was SimonLCFC's game,
Great to see it solved!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Lovely and colourful technique, but trying to make out the white sprites on the bits of yellow background was a real eye-strain.
The technique might have worked better with larger sprites (Heartland, Yesod) and at least placing their feet a few pixels higher on those platforms.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I think if the author is not longer active, it worth preserving. It's playable and looks lovely!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Definitely worth preserving.

By the way I read the original topic on WOS and it's a bit sad. A man writes a game, has it 95% done or so. Says that he needs just to polish a few bits, add loading screen and game menu... And then he disappears and never touches his project again.

If you've done so much already, do the final effort and finish your job. Applies not only in programming ;)
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Ralf wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:18 pm If you've done so much already, do the final effort and finish your job. Applies not only in programming ;)
So much easier to say than do. I was about 90 or so percent finished with Vallation 128K but due to various reasons I just could not finish the last few percent. I was also creatively burnt out with it even though I still had tons of ideas left for it. That, along with paid pixel work - “free” stuff is always going to take a back seat to that - and just life in general no matter how much I wanted to finish V128, I couldn’t. So I had to let it go, and that was incredibly difficult, and I packed up all the extra graphics that I had done for it. It was soooo close, and I simply archived them. Nobody will ever see those graphics. I don’t even want to look at those graphics even though I think some of it is absolutely fantastic.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I can only speak for myself here, but if I release a nearly finished demo, it's because I've started working on something else or I can't be arsed to finish it (the latter being the reason Pushbot has been graced with a ZXDB ID :mrgreen: ).