2023 Game of The Year : Group Four voting

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.

Choose your favourite 5 games from Group Four of Game of The Year 2023

Poll ended at Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:14 pm

Manic Miner 40th Anniversary Tribute
4%
Imprisoned
1%
The Mandarin 2
3%
ZX Terror House
5%
Ghostly Capers
3%
Pacman
5%
SudokuNY
1%
Rondure Sorcerer
1%
Pirate Captain Creed: Adventure on Hallowe'en Island
2%
Johnny The Ghost
5%
JeT SeT JnR aNd ThE CuRsE oF ThE PhArAoH
0%
Shangri-La
1%
Train Your Brain
0%
The Mijadore Vase
6%
Bell of Witch
No votes
Eclipsia
1%
Tobit
1%
Orbol Von
2%
Tapeworm
0%
Parsley Sage and the 7 Bins of Sunak
3%
Rosetta
1%
Pepe's Day Out
No votes
Face Punch Deluxe
1%
Cursed Castle
8%
Duck Tales - Family Comes First
2%
LOS ANILLOS DE SATURNO
0%
The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor
2%
Blue Diamond
0%
Poker
0%
Covidians Extended
No votes
Super Cobra
1%
ZX Futbol
2%
La Cueva
1%
BorielRACE
1%
León Willy
0%
The Cult
2%
Chromanoids
3%
Space Invader 2023
2%
Retrotrivial
1%
Andres y su Fusil de Aliespres
0%
Lunar Lander
No votes
Jetsbot
2%
Time Sniper
1%
ParaZXLand
No votes
Barco de Papel
0%
Misterio
2%
The Dragnet Case Re-Release
2%
Teseo
No votes
Matar al César
1%
Asteroides Color Power
0%
Tenebra 2
5%
5 Keys
2%
Haoken
5%
The Dark Veil
2%
Clone Zoo ZX
2%

Total votes: 242

Mpk
Dynamite Dan

2023 Game of The Year : Group Four voting

Post by Mpk »

Manic Miner 40th Anniversary Tribute
2023 marked 40 years of Manic Miner, still possibly my favourite Speccy game. I even finished it in 2020 ( September 10th, to be precise ). But it's clearly not hard enough, and this is a lovingly balanced harder-but-not-too-hard tribute. Same 20 screens, but reimagined. Sort of like one of those recent Disney movie remakes, but not awful. .

Imprisoned
Classy text adventure that starts out in darkness and slowly reveals itself and its protagonist.

The Mandarin 2
Pretty nifty citrus-themed Star Wars game where you'll be jumping and shooting and flying sometimes.

ZX Terror House
Another Game and Watch, this one with a fast moving horror theme and multiple levels. Sword-fight bats and Frankensteins and mummies and what-not.

Ghostly Capers
RetCon is haunted? Sure, why not. Bright and musical platformer, with an extraordinary death animation.

Pacman
There are already 51 Pacman games on ZXDB, one of them an actual emulator running the arcade machine code. So this has work to do to stand out - and makes pretty a darn good stab at it. Excellent.

SudokuNY
Cute single-level Sudoku, using the 9 letters of Hap New Yor instead of numbers.

Rondure Sorcerer
Pretty nifty citrus-themed Star Wars game where you'll be jumping and shooting and flying sometimes.

Pirate Captain Creed: Adventure on Hallowe'en Island
Mrs. Mojon must be very proud of her boys. Another wildly colourful and eminently playable platformer from the Twins.

Johnny The Ghost
Smooth and devious puzzler, remaking an Atari game

JeT SeT JnR aNd ThE CuRsE oF ThE PhArAoH
A Jet Set Willy mod, starring Mr. Williams' son, Jet Set Junior. Do I need to say that this is astoundingly difficult?

Shangri-La
Good-looking GAC adventure by Luis Perez, this time adapting a 1937 movie and casting you as a diplomat on a plane about to crash in the Himalayas.

Train Your Brain
Brain training with simple puzzles.

The Mijadore Vase
Super-smooth movement, a double jump and a killer soundtrack all elevate this very tricky platformer. A bit of a treat this one, although you can expect to be restarting a lot.

Bell of Witch
The second text adventure in the group to start off in pitch darkness, this translation of a 1995 Slovak original has a peculiar parser and simple language, but has just the right difficulty level.

Eclipsia
Ambitious 3-part GAC text adventure in a mysterious fantasy setting.

Tobit
Biblical mini-games, based on less well-known arrow-dodging, corpse-burying, desert-wandering, fish-wrestling, demon-shooting Old Testament sources.

Orbol Von
There's a lot going on in that loading screen, huh? Typically professional platformer from Mojon Twins, where you have to jump on zombies.

Tapeworm
Oh Lordy, not another Snake game! But! This one has a unique (lack-of-)control system, and is a welcome addition as a result. Has a little something extra for Limahl fans as well.

Parsley Sage and the 7 Bins of Sunak
Politically charged and finely presented Cookie-style arcade action. There can't be many games with such a finely digitised 'Arse!'. Perhaps this is what the UK needs right now?

Rosetta
A single cypher puzzle with a absolutely thrilling payoff.

Pepe's Day Out
Frogger, but backwards. Ruinously unresponsive, but perhaps that's a metacommentary on making a Pepe the Frog game in 2023.

Face Punch Deluxe
A simple, colourful boxing game, with 2 player support.

Cursed Castle
Fast moving and eminently playable exploratory platformer. Little bit Ghosts and Goblins, little bit Jet Set Willy.

Duck Tales - Family Comes First
Pogo-stick platforming action with the World's most valuable still-under-copyright duck.

LOS ANILLOS DE SATURNO
Another aventura conversacional which I cannot understand. Maybe I can learn some more languages as a New Year resolution?

The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor
An exceptional, well-written and atmospheric text adventure.

Blue Diamond
Platform maze game with dedicated buttons for jumping left and right. Unusual.

Poker
This makes 18 games on ZXDB simply called 'Poker'. Incredibly, several of them are dice games. This one manages to be card game, which is a fine start.

Covidians Extended
Impressively smooth for a BASIC game, this is a straight-up Asteroids clone. No excuse for that loading screen though.

Super Cobra
Fast and playable Scramble clone from the Boriel Basic competition.

ZX Futbol
Football Manager, but 128k only and in Spanish.

La Cueva
The Cave', I reckon. A turn-based Snake where the trick is to collect all the goodies without boxing yourself in, and leaving a path to the exit - which you can't see until you've collected everything. Nice idea.

BorielRACE
Smooth sideways-scrolling driving game. Rudimentary if short-lived fun, helped by the inclusion of some slippy-slidey ice levels.

León Willy
More tricky JSW action. This time, Willy's a lion-man.

The Cult
Smooth, fast-paced mazey arcade adventure. Sadly, none of the NPCs sell sanctuary.

Chromanoids
Fun little single-screen actioner with multiple levels. Your little slug-thing has to eat the aliens, but only when you're the same colour as them. Nifty and unique.

Space Invader 2023
An homage to the first ever hand-held video game, apparently. It's a decent Game&Watch style Space Invaders in the end. Lovely.

Retrotrivial
Multiplayer Trivia with Speccy-themed questions. Who wrote this? What year did that come out? Who published the other?

Andres y su Fusil de Aliespres
Imagine Space Invaders, but you can't see the aliens. So you're shooting blindly at the sky, like that bit in Point Break / Hot Fuzz.

Lunar Lander
Straight forward, no frills Lunar Lander game. That makes 11 games in ZXDB named 'Lunar Lander' by my reckoning.

Jetsbot
Hover about in space in this arcade adventure. Personally. I was hampered by what appears to be Airwolf-level difficulty.

Time Sniper
Travel through time, sniping soldiers with your cross hairs as they dash in panic across an open plain.

ParaZXLand
A Boriel BASIC competition entry. Guide your little dudes onto an island. Avoid the floating bombs. Could not be simpler. Inlay cover art apparently created by an AI with no concept of how parachutes work.

Barco de Papel
This one's a pleasantly noisy Flappy Bird, in BASIC. Featuring a paper boat for some reason.

Misterio
Hey, cool, A board game. Looks like Cluedo with monsters in. But it's in Spanish, and I don't know what's going on.

The Dragnet Case Re-Release
A 're-release' of a game that never got released. A gumshoe detective text adventure, now nicely remastered in DAAD and illustrated

Teseo
Admirably ambitious maze game, where you must guide your weird little humunculous thing around a multi-screen labyrinth, avoiding beasties and traps to collect coins. It's in BASIC, and does not handle quite as responsively as it needs to.

Matar al César
Roman Empire-themed text adventure with nice line art. In Spanish, so that's all I can say.

Asteroides Color Power
I feel like if you call your game 'Asteroids', people are going to be expecting a game like Asteroids, which this is not. Instead, it's more of a colour-based Tempest, if anything, where you can only shoot a particular colour when attached to the corresponding wall. Nice idea, but in BASIC and there's no enemies / lose condition. Also the high-pitched beeping on the unskippable instructions page hurt my ears.

Tenebra 2
Terrific puzzle sequel that looks like a rogue-like but isn't. My only complaint about Tenebra was there there wasn't enough of it, and now there's more of it. Huzzah!

5 Keys
Puzzle-platformer with lovely presentation of its single-character graphics. One of the more impressive BASIC games you'll see.

Haoken
Slashy, dashy, double-jumping ninja platform action. Adds enough to the basic traversal to make this stand out from the platforming crowd.

The Dark Veil
Gorgeously illustrated multiple-choice CYOA text adventure. Light on the puzzles, with some insta-death, but it's a Lovecraft game, so thats fine.

Clone Zoo ZX
Zookeeper was my most played Nintendo DS game, so I had high hopes for this. Hopes which are partially met, but a lack of redefinable keys hampers it. WASD-Space? Yikes.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: 2023 Game of The Year : Group Four voting

Post by R-Tape »

1 - Chromanoids
2 - Pacman
3 - Parsley Sage & the Seven Bins of Sunak
4 - Johnny the Ghost
5 - Five Keys

I found this one trickier than most. There's lots of good ones without a single one standing proud.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

A whopping 55 entries in this one. Hopefully I haven't missed anything.

It's a tough call, but for me, the 5 are
The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor - This is an absolutely stellar adventure. Good story, excellent writing, in the Infocom engine so rock-solid there. Needs to be in the final if there's any justice in the world.
Johnny The Ghost - Sometimes puzzle games are a little clunky, but this is buttery smooth. Tough, but very satisfying.
The Mijadore Vase - There's a few nice platformers in this group, but this is the one that calls me back.
Tenebra 2 - Just a top-class puzzle game with a unique look.
The Dark Veil - This could have been Eclipsia or Imprisoned or Shangri-La in a second text adventure slot for me, but I like the stylish prose and the graphics in this one.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Pengomini was released in this time period.
Although i didn't plan to release it initially, it was eventually advertised as such so you might include it in the list ..
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

gabriele amore wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:06 pm Pengomini was released in this time period.
Pengomini ? No sign of that on the DB - do you have a link? It's too late to add it now I'm afraid.

Is it different from Bomber Pengo? That was in Group one, and finished 3rd, so that at least will be in the Grand Final round next week.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Mpk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm Pengomini ? No sign of that on the DB - do you have a link?
I thought Gab's recent releases were at the demo stage so held back. @gabriele amore can I add them?
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Mpk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm Pengomini ? No sign of that on the DB - do you have a link? It's too late to add it now I'm afraid.

Is it different from Bomber Pengo? That was in Group one, and finished 3rd, so that at least will be in the Grand Final round next week.
Yes it is another game but never mind, the game list is big already :D
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:39 pm I thought Gab's recent releases were at the demo stage so held back. @gabriele amore can I add them?
no that's ok, don't worry about it
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Mpk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm

oh! well i lost track of that, that is nice!
bechasny
Drutt

Post by bechasny »

1-Cursed castle
2-Manic Miner 40th aniversary tribute
3-duck tales
4-pacman
5-the mandarin 2
disoba
Drutt

Post by disoba »

I playera all this year, top without specific order.

Haoken, chromanoids , mandarín 2, cursed and jetbot
I think always that don't have categorizaton is a mistake
Fransouls
Drutt

Post by Fransouls »

They should post the Goty in the first entry of the forum, it is hidden between messages and no one can see it, greetings
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Did I mention all* votes for Parsley Sage and the 7 Bins of Sunak win a £3.4 billion government contract and a peerage? No pressure. :snowman

*some, probably.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Really need to play more of these... Keen to play some of these text adventures, as I'm curious to see how I get on with them these days. When I was younger, I didn't have much luck with them, didn't really understand what I was doing.

Of course, I had to vote for Ghostly Capers... the other members of the RetCon crew would never forgive me if I didn't :lol:
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

HEXdidnt wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:45 pm Keen to play some of these text adventures
The Ghosts of Blackwood Manor is a cracker. Throw it a vote, trust me! There's still hope...
Desnortado
Drutt

Post by Desnortado »

In order, I vote for:
The Mijadore Vase because it has transported me back to my childhood, reminding me of games like Sir Fred or Profanation.
HaoKen, a small console-style video game on our ZX, and
The Mandarin 2, humorous and very entertaining.

:D
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Less than 24 hours to go on this final qualifying round and Nothing is Certain!
Now is the time to submit / amend your critical votes.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Back in the announce thread, I set one rule for voting. Just one.
'But Mpk,' you ask, 'aren't public polls prone to vote-stuffing, trolling and sabotage?'
That's true. Don't be a jackass, everybody. Thanks.
Maybe the message didn't get across. There have been clear voting patterns in breach of the jackassery provision above, particularly in rounds 3 and 4. After consulting with the site admins, the suspect patterns are confirmed on the database. We've taken pains to sanitise the voting as fairly as we can and are left with an adjusted top 5 for Rounds 3 and 4 as follows :

Round 3
EXO-TICAL
FOREST ESCAPE - A KNIGHT'S QUEST
Tuerkas the White Cat
ZX Robots
Area 51 - The Roswell Incident

Round 4
Johnny The Ghost
Haoken
Pacman
Tenebra 2
The Mijadore Vase

My intention for this entire set of polls was to spotlight the excellent creativity and craft of the developers who put so much time and passion into creating these games, mostly for free. Every game is someone's best effort and deserves to be seen and played. I was hoping that everyone would treat those developers and their games respectfully. Sadly not everyone has managed that basic level of decency.

So if you feel like your vote might have been unfairly discounted, or a game that you really like has been removed from the finals, or if your game was in the Top 5 but isn't anymore then you have my condolences, but not an apology. You can seek that from the jackasses who just couldn't behave themselves. I've taken every effort I can to make the results fair and to reflect the votes of the forum members.

I don't have infinite time for this stuff and trying to clean up data is a load of dull work that I don't enjoy and I don't want to bother the admins any further so here's a heads up : Voting for the final, if there is one, will be restricted to members who were registered before Dec 25th last year. This will doubtless be unfair on some of you new members, but hey, this was never about the votes. Play the games, stick around, join the chat and maybe we'll try again next year.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

It would have been fairer and friendlier for the developer to have removed the suspicious votes.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

An important clarification : I'm confident that none of the games developers themselves are to blame here.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

We had the very same problems years ago with some polls we created at Planeta Sinclair. That's the reason our GOTY has a jury and only the jury can vote on the games.

And yes, I have a very clear idea of the persons behind this...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Mpk wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:27 pm An important clarification : I'm confident that none of the games developers themselves are to blame here.
Neither the creator of the ZX Game Maker engine. But it's not difficult to find the people behind it. ;)
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

I demand a recount in group 1 then lol :)

Not really. I considered drumming up support for SJOE on the other site but didn't get around to it... probably would have got me a few more votes :)
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Andre Leao wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:04 pm We had the very same problems years ago with some polls we created at Planeta Sinclair. That's the reason our GOTY has a jury and only the jury can vote on the games.

And yes, I have a very clear idea of the persons behind this...
I had oddly thought of the PS awards like the Oscars and this more like the MTV Awards. I think there's room for both.

As for who did what, I have no interest or energy for pursuing that.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Yes, all GOTYs are very welcome. It spreads the Speccy word around the globe... :)
Last edited by Andre Leao on Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.