To type or not all programs from the book "20 Best Programs for the ZX Spectrum" by Andrew Hewson

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

To type or not all programs from the book "20 Best Programs for the ZX Spectrum" by Andrew Hewson

Post by Neil Parsons »

Hi!

I was wondering if all BASIC programs published in this Hewson Consultants book could be added to ZXDB as I pretend to type in them whenever I can. As I own the original UK book release, I could submit everyone of them separately once copied and checked, or at least unify all of them in one single TAP or TZX file, to be added with book's corresponding entry. Whatever you want, I'll do it.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Re: To type or not all programs from the book "20 Best Programs for the ZX Spectrum" by Andrew Hewson

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Oh I thought this was about "20 best machine code routines" book (maybe it is)... which is not that great and people have been moaning abut the new version too (not geared to modern development environments etc.).

Many of the routines in that book are compromised so as not to use too much space/memory since it was geared towards relocatable code and typing in hex manually, whereas nowadays we can assemble to any address and waste loads of memory (and copy/paste) :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: To type or not all programs from the book "20 Best Programs for the ZX Spectrum" by Andrew Hewson

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @Neil Parsons,

Please submit each one separately, and in the notes field add:

'Please link to book name, page number', then @Einar Saukas will do his magic to link everything.

Peter
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:25 pm Thanks @Neil Parsons,

Please submit each one separately, and in the notes field add:

'Please link to book name, page number', then @Einar Saukas will do his magic to link everything.

Peter
OK. Thanks!
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

All programs typed and checked! Soon to be uploaded each one of them to the archive. :dance :dance :D
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Neil Parsons wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:30 pm All programs typed and checked! Soon to be uploaded each one of them to the archive. :dance :dance :D
Wow, you are fast! Nice job! Do you type directly into a Spectrum/emulator, or are you using some type of utility to type then upload to an emulator?
I'm curious because I'm also on a bit of a type-in mission with Sinclair Programs type-ins.
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

cmal wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:46 am Wow, you are fast! Nice job! Do you type directly into a Spectrum/emulator, or are you using some type of utility to type then upload to an emulator?
I'm curious because I'm also on a bit of a type-in mission with Sinclair Programs type-ins.
Thank you! :) As 20 programs are quite short in length, I could type them using Spectaculator 8 emulator. Creating TAP/TZX files for everyone of them was also easier.

It all depends on the font used to print BASIC listings every one can see in magazines and books. If using ZX Printer or a similar one, Spectrum font is quite difficult to be processed with OCR, due to its low quality. In other circumstances, even with better printers, I try to scan pages with OCR option, get the type-in in a text form, edit it to correct a lot of mistaken characters (it can happen most of times) with Windows Note Pad and then use Paul Dunn's BasiN and, once checked type-in free of mistakes, transfer BASIC code into a TAP or TZX file.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

:ugeek:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Neil Parsons wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:35 pm Thank you! :) As 20 programs are quite short in length, I could type them using Spectaculator 8 emulator. Creating TAP/TZX files for everyone of them was also easier.
Why not use BASIN instead though? I would think it a lot more convenient to type in BASIC listings but hey, whatever works!