Crash magazine 16bit special.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Crash magazine 16bit special.

Post by ZXDunny »

Hey you lot -

I recall Crash did a special in one of the issues where they look at 16bit games (Amiga mostly) and featured F/A-18 Interceptor and Ferrari Formula 1. I can't find it though; google is heavily polluted these days.

Anyone got any kind of clue here? Cheers :)
+3code
Manic Miner

Re: Crash magazine 16bit special.

Post by +3code »

Sure it was Crash? Not one of The Games Machine like https://magazinesfromthepast.fandom.com ... ne_Issue_5 ?
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

MatGubbins wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:12 pm Issue 55 August 1988 Great Giana Sisters cover
Pages 70,71,74,75
Given that we found out the Crash editor of that time was very partial to giving advertisers a favourable portrayal, could this 16-bit special's existence be down to advertisers such as Atari (pages 72-73 - right in the middle of the special) and Evesham Micros (page 89)? I'm surprised the ubiquitous Silica Shop wasn't in this issue, always punting the evils of the 16-bit computers with their many colours, higher resolution and um... alright Populous 2 was and still is frickin' amazing.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

It was that issue and article that finally convinced me I needed to upgrade to 16-bit. November that year I got an ST.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Vampyre wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:32 am It was that issue and article that finally convinced me I needed to upgrade to 16-bit. November that year I got an ST.
Same. Saved up my paper round money over the summer and bought my stepdad's A1000 off him. Best purchase I ever made.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Vampyre wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:32 am November that year I got an ST.
Ah, so in the end you didn't upgrade. ;-)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 am Ah, so in the end you didn't upgrade. ;-)
:lol: :lol:

I had a lot of good years out of that ST - starting with the awesome Dungeon Master and ending with Frontier - up until I upgraded to my first PC in 1994. A 486 running at a whopping overclocked 33MHz. Getting the latest Automation and Pompey Pirates hacks. Great days.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/