DCP Interspec BUS Expansion Adaptor

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
ChasL001
Drutt

Re: DCP Interspec BUS Expansion Adaptor

Post by ChasL001 »

Kiwi wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:53 pm Hi, that's great - thanks again for the info and pics.

It looks like the NAND gate is simply used as a buffer for the CPU clock signal and the rest of the inputs are pulled up via the 2K2 resistor. The adjacent cap now looks like a decoupling cap.

Would you mind checking if pins 1 and 12 are connected on the LS93 ? And where the ADC clock i/p (pin 10) connects to on the LS93 ? It's probably pin 8 or 9 on the LS93. This should complete the clock gen cct.

I think all the ceramic caps are 47nf but would also mind checking and letting me know the values of the electrolytics ?
Gosh darn it, I’ve just put it back together, but I will check. Forgot to include the Capacitor values. Ceramics are 47nF @ 10V, Electrolytic's are 10uF @ 16V.
There are only 10 types of people in the world – those who understand binary, and those who don’t. :?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

If the diodes have the same colour bands (yellow, brown, yellow, grey) as the diodes on the bottom right on this ZX81 board, then they are 1N4148 diodes.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
ChasL001
Drutt

Post by ChasL001 »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:02 pm If the diodes have the same colour bands (yellow, brown, yellow, grey) as the diodes on the bottom right on this ZX81 board, then they are 1N4148 diodes.

Mark
Yes, thanks. I didn't notice the grey band before, double checked and they are the same :)
There are only 10 types of people in the world – those who understand binary, and those who don’t. :?
ChasL001
Drutt

Post by ChasL001 »

Kiwi wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:53 pm Hi, that's great - thanks again for the info and pics.

It looks like the NAND gate is simply used as a buffer for the CPU clock signal and the rest of the inputs are pulled up via the 2K2 resistor. The adjacent cap now looks like a decoupling cap.

Would you mind checking if pins 1 and 12 are connected on the LS93 ? And where the ADC clock i/p (pin 10) connects to on the LS93 ? It's probably pin 8 or 9 on the LS93. This should complete the clock gen cct.

I think all the ceramic caps are 47nf but would also mind checking and letting me know the values of the electrolytics ?
Pin 1 of the LS 93 is connected to pin 12 and then they read 120R to the 0V but only in the positive direction (+ to pin 1), so there must be a diode effect there within the IC. Cannot find any other connection to these pins.

Pin 10 on the LS93 connects to pin 7 on both LS02s.

I won't box it back up yet in case you need more info.
Kiwi
Drutt

Post by Kiwi »

Thanks ! One final thing,where does Pin 10 of the ADC0809 connect to on the LS93 ? I think it's probably pin 8 or 9 on the LS93 but could also be pins 11, 12, 14 or 1.
ChasL001
Drutt

Post by ChasL001 »

Kiwi wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:17 pm Thanks ! One final thing,where does Pin 10 of the ADC0809 connect to on the LS93 ? I think it's probably pin 8 or 9 on the LS93 but could also be pins 11, 12, 14 or 1.
Pin 10 of the ADC goes only to Pin 9 of the LS93. :)
Kiwi
Drutt

Post by Kiwi »

Thanks for checking that :)

I think that finishes what I can do from the photos and without having the actual hardware in front of me. I've updated the schematic and the revised version is here: https://github.com/ZXQuirkafleeg/ZX-Int ... 20v0.2.pdf

Most of it is fairly straightforward but, at some point, the address decoder cct will need to be checked. I've pulled what I can from the photos, and think it's right, but the real check will be running a meter over the original device to check the connections - and building a copy of the hardware.

Let me know if there's anything you find in the schematic that's wrong or looks odd!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The schematic looks reasonable to me.

The I/O ports as depicted in the schematic are:

Code: Select all

I/O    Ref  Function
address
1F      Y0  ADC
3F      Y1  4 bit switch inputs and 4 bit relay outputs
5F      Y2  8 bit input port and 8 bit output port
7F      Y3  DCP Expansion Connector
9F      Y4  DCP Expansion Connector
Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
Kiwi
Drutt

Post by Kiwi »

Thanks for checking Mark. I'll build a version of it when I get chance and see if it works as expected.