ZX Vega+ Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: ZX Vega+ Discussion

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Morkin wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:06 pm
I've got a DS lite and occasionally play games ZXDS games which I find pretty good... But let's face it, a lot of Speccy games were hard. And crikey, they're so much harder on a small screen.
3DS/2DS XL is a much better option (I first played in a DS model, it was OK, then 3DS XL, amazing, so going back to the first model was hard! :))
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Daren
Manic Miner

Post by Daren »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:24 pm
Morkin wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:06 pm
I've got a DS lite and occasionally play games ZXDS games which I find pretty good... But let's face it, a lot of Speccy games were hard. And crikey, they're so much harder on a small screen.
3DS/2DS XL is a much better option (I first played in a DS model, it was OK, then 3DS XL, amazing, so going back to the first model was hard! :))

Yep, you have the joystick on the 3DS/2DS XL models, which makes diagonals a breeze. And the screens are bigger. Love ZXDS on my 2DS XL.

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

djnzx48 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:07 am Advanced ZX Vega+ Simulator
At first I believed that my emulator hang :lol:
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

djnzx48 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:07 am Advanced ZX Vega+ Simulator
Impressive! As responsive as the original!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ersh wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 pmI play pretty much all my spectrum games on the ZXDS and I've managed to complete a lot of them (30+) over the last few years. There's only one game that gave me some problems, the trench lasers in 'Death Star Interceptor' are too quick for my DS lite screen and they pretty much blur into the background (a new 2DS XL should have a more modern screen and the problem may not exist there).
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:24 pm
Daren wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:36 am
Yep, you have the joystick on the 3DS/2DS XL models, which makes diagonals a breeze. And the screens are bigger. Love ZXDS on my 2DS XL.

I did wonder about the XLs. I think I probably need to consider an upgrade ("...my eyes are poor, my nose is knackered..."). I did manage to get to the third screen on Batty though, which is about as far as I've ever got in the past... ;)

At the moment it's not a major issue as I tend to use it most on long bus journey, and I just end up playing Chaos 90% of the time. :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I've just received notification via Companies house email alerts that Paul Andrews and Chris Smith are now directors again at RCL.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:45 pm I've just received notification via Companies house email alerts that Paul Andrews and Chris Smith are now directors again at RCL.
That is remarkable. There's a lead-time before records at Companies House are updated, so this happened at least a few days ago. This is the first mention I've seen of it. Though, granted, I haven't spent much time in the Facebook group recently, and the last statements from Paul Andrews and his colleagues are that things were happening that they couldn't talk about yet. I assumed it was around courts, but there should have been another RCL Shareholder Meeting at some recent point, and nothing has emerged from that.

I'm curious about whether anything RCL-related is salvageable at this point. Also, whether Levy has managed to extricate himself.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Wow, that's great news...I think.

I can only assume at this point that they have plans to "save the day"...otherwise why would you want to take over. Could be great news for backers....obviously some sort of financing would need to happen as all the money is gone but a commercial product might help secure new financing.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I can only assume at this point that they have plans to "save the day".
Assuming they are not crazy, what could be their plans?

The current situation as far as I know is:

- about 100 people of over 2000 got crappy, unsuable prototypes
- the rest of backers got nothing
- money was wasted on legal suits and other stuff

So what are they trying to achieve, except a satisfaction from a victory over their enemy ???
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Maybe build a commercial unit (a bit like the C64 mini which has been successful) and then also fulfill the backers orders. Those guys who backed the C64 mini initially backed a handheld device and a full sized C64 recreation...that was then "changed" to the C64 mini with the promise that backers would get a 'free" mini and STILL get their full sized creation when it was done...so they are basically getting 2 devices, one free, on the back of the commercial success of the mini.

Seems like a possible solution with the "free unit" for the Vega+ backers being the one they didn't get...if you get what I mean.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Looks like the directors change isn't that obvious as you could believe:

https://twitter.com/ghalfacree/status/1 ... 85/photo/1

They'll probably fight with each other until the last drop of blood :twisted:

EDIT: the link says you cannot load something but just click it anyway
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Chris and Paul's appointments have now been termimated.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

by who?, themselves?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]beanz[/mention]

There is no mention of that information.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Interesting...maybe they just closed everything down then fired themselves. Guess we'll see.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Or someone contested their appointment in a filing to Companies House.
One party seems to be claiming they were not appointed by the board, the other that they were instead appointed by a majority of shareholders.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Instead of these crappy legal battles they all should actually meet in some dark alley and resolve it once for all
in a manly way, like in Renagade or Double Dragon ;)

The winner gets the company, the princess (ups, no princess this time) and ...obligations to deliver Vegas to the backers ;)
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

Don't forget to check out Slope's Game Room's epic "KickScammers: The VEGA+ Scandal" whilst you can. Daniel posted earlier to say that it will apparently be deleted tomorrow at midday (UK time) "due to a few issues behind the scenes"...

18/12/2018 - Post edited by PJ - Link deleted as no longer exists as mentioned in the post.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

If you want to download the above before it gets deleted you can use the following on Windows or Linux to download non copyright videos from YouTube. It's free with no nasty ad-ware:

https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... downloader
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Oh dear. It seems I am no longer a part of the VEGA+ 'Legal Action' Facebook group. They'll just have to go on taking their legal action against RCL without me. Apparently, according to Darren Melbourne, my 'calm' and 'carefully selected' words were far too 'inflammatory'. I can only assume that I didn't resort to sufficient back-biting, name-calling and internet bullying to qualify as a member of the true circle of incubated sycophants.

It's amusing that I was continually accused of holding Jonathan Cauldwell up as an unassailable saint by someone who basically did everything he was accusing me of, point-by-point, in his pandering to absolve Paul Andrews of any possible criticism for his part in this debacle. I merely commented that Jonathan saying he was leaving the scene was a sad turn of events, whilst I found the gloating over it in that group quite distressing. And then it all kicked off, as it does in these selective little echo-chambers of the internet.

Unfortunately I never got to ask if Mr. Andrews was still available to assist in court cases against the company he now asserts to be director of, or if that would (or would have) constitute a 'conflict of interest' (heaven forbid). Nor did I last long enough to see an answer to my question of whether he thought it acceptable, hypothetically, to make personal use of a company's list of business partners after one has resigned from said company.

Still, I'm sure someone will happily cut and paste this post into the group without the slightest hint of hypocrisy, even after accusing me of being a spy and doing exactly that for others, in the knowledge they have a safe padded playroom in which to lambast me with no redress. Charmed to have made their acquaintance, if only so briefly.
Last edited by Joefish on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Huh?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Seem to have been booted from a Facebook group for differing from the groupthink. Sorry, I thought a flouncy rant about such things was traditional? :lol:

Tl;DR - Apparently Jonathan Cauldwell has said he's sick of the whole Speccy scene and is packing it in; Melbourne has been hassling him into making some sort of publicly penitent 'apology' for being seen to help out RCL under Levy's tenure; and those who like to gloat over such perceived 'victories' don't appear to respond well to dissenting opinions.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Joefish wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:02 pm Apparently Jonathan Cauldwell has said he's sick of the whole Speccy scene and is packing it in.
I was wondering why he disappeared from Twitter. Too bad he took it to heart. I (kind of) understand his frustration, but why such a drastic “I’m done with the whole Speccy scene” move? Is there a scene? There are people who grew up with the Speccy and love it. Some of them are not particularly pleasant individuals, but wouldn’t it have been more productive to ignore them, rather than completely pull out of something that you’ve held dear most of your life?
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.