Battle ships

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Dal1980
Drutt

Battle ships

Post by Dal1980 »

Hi

I was looking for Encore titles and I thought I had them all. The search brings up 46 (regardless of it being strict search or not).

There is no Battle ships within this list. Is this game from Encore?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?pubr=encore&pg=0

https://worldofspectrum.org/archive/sof ... ips-encore

Cheers
✓ Reviewed
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Re: Battle ships

Post by toot_toot »

It was originally released on the compilation Best of Elite Vol 2, which might explain why it’s down in the DB as originally published by Hit Pak (which was Elite’s brand for some of their early compilations like 6 Pack Vol 1 and Vol 2)

Then a couple years later, it was indeed re-released (or maybe even originally commercially released) by Encore as a standalone title. You can see the inlay scan on this list.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... ttle_Ships

It looks like one of the first titles released under the Encore label from this promo ad

So maybe the DB needs to be updated to reflect this?
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Oh if you’re collecting Encore titles (great idea!) then I don’t know if this also counts, it was a cash in, sorry commemorative re-release of Frank Bruno’s Boxing for his fight against Mike Tyson. I think the only difference was the cover, but still called Frank Bruno’s World Championship Boxing

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

toot_toot wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:34 pm So maybe the DB needs to be updated to reflect this?
Looks like the Encore release was deleted when the original release was changed to be the Hit Pak compilation a couple of years ago. I've added it back on the preservation tools with the release date and price from the advert above.

(@druellan)
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:39 am Looks like the Encore release was deleted when the original release was changed to be the Hit Pak compilation a couple of years ago. I've added it back on the preservation tools with the release date and price from the advert above.
Perfect, I was waiting for your input, thanks Stoob. I can also see we need to update the uploads elements so they are pointing to the correct release.
About the releases, we can assume the Encore release was BEFORE the EDOS one?
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:01 pm About the releases, we can assume the Encore release was BEFORE the EDOS one?
Yes, the EDOS release is definitely last. They don't seem to have existed until the 90s.
✓ Reviewed