Forum ranks poll

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.

Which of these should be the forum ranks?

Machine types
38%
Elite rankings
23%
Game characters
40%

Total votes: 40

R-Tape
Site Admin

Forum ranks poll

Post by R-Tape »

Okay here are the suggestions, let's give it an appropriate amount of time and see if it's decisive.

Machine types:
ZX80
ZX81
Spectrum 16k
Spectrum 48k
Spectrum+ 48k
Spectrum+ 128k
Spectrum+2
Spectrum+2A
Spectrum+2B
Spectrum+3
Spectrum+3B

Elite ranks:
Harmless
Mostly Harmless
Novice
Competent
Expert
Master
Dangerous
Deadly
Elite

Game characters:
Berk
Dizzy
Microbot
Manic Miner
Dynamite Dan
Rick Dangerous
Bugaboo
Spud
Manic Miner

Re: Forum ranks poll

Post by Spud »

Neither, I like them as they are. :oops:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Blast, I've just changed it and it's removed the first 3 votes.

Sorry please vote again. I'll post the full list of game characters too.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Okay the list's are up again.

Just to reiterate: THE FIRST THREE VOTES WERE DELETED BY ACCIDENT, PLEASE VOTE AGAIN.
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

1) And after a long and perilous journey, ZX Spectrum +2 becomes ZX Spectrum +2A, whereupon a lot of stuff stops working.
2) 3elitist5me. (These are sorta an obvious choice really).
3) It's funky and the last rank is Bugaboo. What else can you ask for? Idk who is mister Microbot though. Berk is I think from the Trap Door series? (... What, no Fred?)

Aaand so 3 it is I'd say. Or custom titles indeed, but that sounds a bit 1998 in a way when everyone wanted to be that spesshul pink unicorn.
Inactive account
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

The most valuable part of a rank is to implicitly or explicitly define a sorting/order/sequence.

To be useful, the sequence must be implicitly obvious for everyone, so that anyone can compare two ranks and know which is higher and which is lower.
Having too many ranks/levels can work against the "obvious" part.

Having said the above, I believe that:.

1) Is more or less common knowledge on this community.

2) might not be obvious, on all steps, for everyone

3) sequence/order is not obvious and could even be considered controversial

I would suggest to have less ranks/levels would be easier.

Using some well-known scale like unit scale: pico, nano, micro, mili, unit, kilo, mega, giga, tera
attached to some defined unit (ZX, bit, byte, gamer, dev, etc...) might work better.

Alternatively any other implicitly known scale, will work too.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RMartins wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm 1) Is more or less common knowledge on this community.

2) might not be obvious, on all steps, for everyone

This sums up my feelings on it, so I went with machine types.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Hikaru wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:27 pm Idk who is mister Microbot though. Berk is I think from the Trap Door series? (... What, no Fred?)
Microbot is from a (lesser known?) game of the same name. It came to my mind because I played it so much BITD, more than it deserved really.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Love the look of the poll!
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

In you add SAM Coupé as level above all the attribute clash crippled machines, then I’m in :lol:
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm
RMartins wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm
This sums up my feelings on it, so I went with machine types.
How many ranks can you have? If 26 then they could be in alphabetical order from Agent X through Bugaboo to Ziggy....... if you want a complete list I can try to come up with one later.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Evil Genius wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm How many ranks can you have? If 26 then they could be in alphabetical order from Agent X through Bugaboo to Ziggy....... if you want a complete list I can try to come up with one later.
It looks like you can keep adding them and the manual doesn't mention a limit. I like the sound of it but I wish it arose in the suggestions thread as voting has already started. People voting 3 aren't necessarily voting for that. Let's see how this goes, if 1 or 2 gets it then game characters would be out anyway.

This is really 'arrrrd.
Uto
Drutt

Post by Uto »

I voted 1 as I think is the only one that is easily understood by everybody. Not everybody played/liked Elite and there doesn't seem to be a reason for game characters order that may be accepted by everyone.

Not sure what the Amstrad clones are doing in first list though, isn't this forum about Spectrum? :lol: (just kidding).
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

RMartins wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm The most valuable part of a rank is to implicitly or explicitly define a sorting/order/sequence.
<...>
Not necessarily. To begin with, it's a derivative of the post count, which is visible on its own. So you might want to keep it at that, or you might regard it more as something else and less related. Like a for-fun 'achievement unlocked' sorta thing for the users, with little to no order and the ultimate title requiring an insane number of posts says you're an Advanced Lawnmover or something. :) Either way is legit, and nothing gets lost.

(Wb!)
Inactive account
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

I voted game characters, i like being Berk. Globbits...
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Hikaru wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:25 pm
RMartins wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm The most valuable part of a rank is to implicitly or explicitly define a sorting/order/sequence.
<...>
Not necessarily. To begin with, it's a derivative of the post count, which is visible on its own. So you might want to keep it at that, or you might regard it more as something else and less related. Like a for-fun 'achievement unlocked' sorta thing for the users, with little to no order and the ultimate title requiring an insane number of posts says you're an Advanced Lawnmover or something. :) Either way is legit, and nothing gets lost.

(Wb!)
Squij would be the ultimate rank I think. You could do famous authors. Everyone would start as Harry S. Price and work their way up.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Just bumping this, 18% turnout so far.

Let's see if it's looking decisive at the end of the week.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Don't think we have a decisive winner yet, and we haven't reached the giddy heights of 30% turnout.

Let's give it another week.

EDIT - let's say poll closed on Friday 1st December 12.00 UTC.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Just voted for the game characters (though I hadn't heard of Microbot either).

Once this poll is done how about another one to define what the ranks will actually be..? :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Morkin wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:23 pm Just voted for the game characters (though I hadn't heard of Microbot either).
That’s the problem. Many people haven’t played quite a few games, plus some of the games are not unique to the Spectrum. Even if we isolate Spectrum-specific game characters, their use as a form of ranking is arbitrary at best and whimsical at worst. Machine names are (a) unique to the platform, (b) readily recognized by the majority of the members, and (c) have a more direct correlation with ranks (the latter being a function of the number of posts).

Having said that, I still maintain that the post count and join date should be sufficient to hint at a person’s standing within the community.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm That’s the problem. Many people haven’t played quite a few games, plus some of the games are not unique to the Spectrum. Even if we isolate Spectrum-specific game characters, their use as a form of ranking is arbitrary at best and whimsical at worst.
I don't see what's wrong with whimsical. I'm surprised people are voting for game characters when it's such a wonky list of them though!
Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm Machine names are (a) unique to the platform, (b) readily recognized by the majority of the members, and (c) have a more direct correlation with ranks (the latter being a function of the number of posts).
Agreed.
Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm sufficient to hint at a person’s standing within the community.
Nah it's just a bit of fun :)
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

It is all a bit meaningless. Post count doesn't really give any indication of community standing, just that someone has probably taken more photos of their lunch and posted it in the OT section than anyone else. Hardly a useful measure.

If the game characters option wins (and I hope it does), open another thread for people's suggestions for one character, then draw them out of a hat, or do a vote to figure out which to include. I don't think the order really matters.

Having said all that the current finger in the wind list and order is fine as far as I am concerned.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Spud wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 pmPost count doesn't really give any indication of community standing, just that someone has probably taken more photos of their lunch and posted it in the OT section than anyone else. Hardly a useful measure.
:shock:

Probably a good indication of their state of malnourishment/lardiness though.. :lol:

Nah, I agree, it's just a bit of fun. I agree with the sentiment that if the games characters win it would be quite good if there were some ZX-specific ones, though I don't really have particular objections to Speccy characters that were ported to other machines. Also I didn't mind some of the WoS ones like "Elite" and stuff which was fine.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Spud wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 pm It is all a bit meaningless.
You mean life?

I'm cool with whatever wins. Let's see where we are next Friday, it doesn't seem fair that if #3 wins then people like yourself don't get the list they voted for.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:55 pm
Spud wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 pm It is all a bit meaningless.
You mean life?
No, don’t be silly. It’s 42.

Also,
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.