Riding motorcycle through the forest

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
LtCmdWilliams
Drutt

Riding motorcycle through the forest

Post by LtCmdWilliams »

Good morning everyone!

Please help with a black hole in my memory. Many (MANY!) years ago there was a game for Spectrum. The player was riding a motorcycle, it was a first-person perspective. I think that at the beginning you were riding through the woods because I do remember squealing trying not to hit trees. For a small me the game was super good-looking but also playing super fast. But I can't seem to find the title!

Anyone? Anything?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Riding motorcycle through the forest

Post by stupidget »

dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

It may be sacrilegious around these parts to admit it, but I've never seen the appeal of Deathchase. You just accelerate to full speed, hold down fire, then dodge the trees until one of your bullets hits a target, which eventually it will. Once you get over the amazement of 3D tress whizzing past in 16K, it's pretty tedious. Or is it just me?
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

You can actually travel slowly and carefully and do far better, but nobody does that. I can see how it was appealing in the early days of the Speccy as it's as close as you could get to playing the speeder bike section of Return of the Jedi.

I'm not quite convinced it's appeal is as lasting as some would suggest though. I enjoyed a quick blast on it when it came onto the YS covertape, but didn't play it for long and don't have much of an urge to try again.
Robbeasy
Dizzy

Post by Robbeasy »

I always found the later levels to be much more engaging - it didnt do anything but add in more trees, but man when theres a lot I still find myself bobbing and weaving in my seat even to this day..

There was repitition in the shooting yes - hey 16k couldn't fit much in, but if you ever needed an example of fitting so much gameplay into so little space, Deathchase is right up there , imho.. :D
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

@LtCmdWilliams I like this brilliant Video Review "Binni's Retro - Deathchase (ZX Spectrum)" from Binni of 3D Deathchase:
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Deatchase is not my cup of tea...
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I think this game has a nice tension between taking it slow and wanting to push it, leading to death.

It maybe doesn't look the best, but it's very playable.
Tan Coul
Dizzy

Post by Tan Coul »

dfzx wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:53 am It may be sacrilegious around these parts to admit it, but I've never seen the appeal of Deathchase. You just accelerate to full speed, hold down fire, then dodge the trees until one of your bullets hits a target, which eventually it will. Once you get over the amazement of 3D tress whizzing past in 16K, it's pretty tedious. Or is it just me?
We always reversed the scoring - the idea was to get as far into the game as you could, with the lowest score, as you could rack up endless points on the first level by just not shooting... it also meant rationalising the helicopters and tanks on the horizon as allies that cost you more points if you destroy them with friendly fire, which added a bit more of a spark to the game.

But if you don't think dodging the trees on level 8 isn't a totally Zen experience, then... wow...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Another Youtube-Review:

blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

dfzx wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:53 am It may be sacrilegious around these parts to admit it, but I've never seen the appeal of Deathchase. You just accelerate to full speed, hold down fire, then dodge the trees until one of your bullets hits a target, which eventually it will. Once you get over the amazement of 3D tress whizzing past in 16K, it's pretty tedious. Or is it just me?

Agreed. It did nothing for me.