Guess the screen$

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Guess the screen$

Post by stupidget »

Morkin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:24 pmJasper?
Correctamundo :dance

I was hoping that people would think it was Kokotoni Wilf.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Woop...!

Don't have one to hand so anyone can jump in.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

This might be really easy or really hard.

bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

THEATRE EUROPE
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

bluespikey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:21 am THEATRE EUROPE
I knew it'd be really easy. :D
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Its annoying that copying from the website makes it all appear in caps like I'm shouting. But if I typed it myself then you'd all laugh at my inability to spell Theater.

Anyway, similar vein, but much more obscure :

ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Theatre is correct unless you're one of those American US English spellers.

Both are allowed in UK Scrabble of course. I'm used to seeing theater (which gets underlined as a typo with my windows settings) because of Civilization IV (which I would spell as Civilisation IV ;) - but both are ok - Oxford dictionary seems to really like ize instead of ise for some reason, I'm not a big fan). Abe Lincoln's city advisor in civ suggesting I should build more theaters was a good moment of irony though, considering where he was assassinated ;)

I'm also used to seeing color in most programming languages. And normalize (which again is an allowed variant but I always spell it as normalise myself).

"meter" for a unit of distance is definitely evil though (again the US spelling, why do they redefine the spelling of SI units? Probably too French for their liking).

I'm also disappointed the scientific community seems to have adopted US spellings aluminum, phosphorus and sulfur now though. :(
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:24 pm Oxford dictionary seems to really like ize instead of ise for some reason, I'm not a big fan). Abe Lincoln's city advisor in civ suggesting I should build more theaters was a good moment of irony though, considering where he was assassinated ;)
-ize is, despite often being assumed American, originally the English spelling. There was a weird period on history where words were changed in an attempt to eradicate the "unnecessary" letter Z - it didn't pan out but some aspects have persisted, such as -ise now being commonplace. Actually a lot of "American" spellings are really just historical English spellings which we've since changed (there is no good excuse for Aluminum though).
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

bluespikey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am Its annoying that copying from the website makes it all appear in caps like I'm shouting. But if I typed it myself then you'd all laugh at my inability to spell Theater.

Travel with Trashman?
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:24 pm I'm also disappointed the scientific community seems to have adopted US spellings aluminum, phosphorus and sulfur now though. :(
I've never seen any spelling other than "phosphorus" anywhere, ever.

When I was about 13 I made a joke that the Yanks would probably try to change the spelling to "fosforus", change the symbol to F and change fluorine to Fl just to hammer the point home. They've had three decades to do it, and I'm slightly surprised they haven't, yet.

At least we have Sarah-n-Tuned on our side as far as "aluminium" is concerned, though she usually pronounces it "alu-mini-um" as if it has a small car in the middle. That might grind her countrymen's gears a bit, for which I will laugh at them. Then again, she is very fond of deliberately-mispronounced words, to the point where there could be a drinking game every time she says "schport", "schteel", "alu-mini-um", and two drinks for the lesser-spotted "cabron fibrei". Also, she likes very short skirts. Just thought I'd mention that.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Aluminum is particularly bad since -ium is a standard ending for metals (and helium!) but they decided to change the pronunciation and ending for aluminium only! You would have thought they would also change Americium and Californium as well since they are named after America and California FFS).

I may have been was wrong about phosphorous for the element although phosphorous is of course also a word :)

phosphorous: (adjective) containing or characteristic of phosphorus. phosphorus: (noun) a multivalent nonmetallic element of the nitrogen family that occurs commonly in inorganic phosphate rocks and as organic phosphates in all living cells; is highly reactive and occurs in several allotropic forms.

lol

EDIT: Anyway sorry for going OT... theater is definitely incorrect in UK English though.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Oloturia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:43 pm Travel with Trashman?
Not Travel With Trashman (or should that be rubbish man?) , though the yellow on blue BBC identity does look similar.

It's a wargame by one of the usual suspects. You've got to be able to put up with flashing characters to play it. (Crank the emulator speed up to 400% and it's still quite good fun).
WallyX
Drutt

Post by WallyX »

bluespikey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am Its annoying that copying from the website makes it all appear in caps like I'm shouting. But if I typed it myself then you'd all laugh at my inability to spell Theater.

NATO Alert?
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

WallyX wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:17 pmNATO Alert?
That's it, well done. I must have dozens of hours of enjoyment on this. 90% of them was watching the flashing screen waiting for something to happen.

Anyways, your turn.
WallyX
Drutt

Post by WallyX »

Behold! Some pixels.

WallyX
Drutt

Post by WallyX »

Well no guesses yet, so zooming out.

First hint, it's not an adventure game but an arcade game.

WallyX
Drutt

Post by WallyX »

Released in 1986 by a well-known publisher.

worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

No idea but it looks nice.
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

WallyX wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:06 pm Released in 1986 by a well-known publisher.

Streethawk?
WallyX
Drutt

Post by WallyX »

Van_Dammesque wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:57 pm Streethawk?
That's it, congrats. Released in 1986 by Ocean Software and got average reviews.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4938

Over to you.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

↑ I wasn't too familiar with Streethawk but it seems this gorgeous little graphic pops up several times during the game. Would be nice to have a whole game in this style.
WallyX
Drutt

Post by WallyX »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:42 pm ↑ I wasn't too familiar with Streethawk but it seems this gorgeous little graphic pops up several times during the game. Would be nice to have a whole game in this style.
Definitely. When I was choosing this one for an entry I was wondering if I was "cheating" a bit by taking a screencap from a lesser-seen part of the game. It's not that easily googlable. Seeing great graphics like this, we can often think in retrospect, that there was so much more that could have been done with the Spectrum, but that is with the knowledge we have today. Back then the perspective was probably very different depending on where you were in time and what was built on before and what was thought of as possible.
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Is that the whole game? Ride around town on a motorbike and execute some kids robbing an off-licence :shock:
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

Evil Genius wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:44 pm Is that the whole game? Ride around town on a motorbike and execute some kids robbing an off-licence :shock:
Yep very boring and disappointed when I bought this game!

blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Hammerfist?