NEW GAME - Shoplifting boy

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
gazj
Drutt

NEW GAME - Shoplifting boy

Post by gazj »

Manbiki Shonen (AKA Shoplifting boy)

ZX-Shoplifter

Way back in 1979 in Japan, Hiroshi Suzuki programmed a game for the Commodore PET that many consider the first-ever Stealth game: Manbiki Shounen aka Shoplifting Boy. Predating Castle Wolfenstein, it's a game in which a young shoplifter attempts to clear a supermarket of all items on the shelves without being caught.

It was Robin's 8-Bit show and tell YouTube channel that bought this game to my attention. It looked like such a fun game, that I thought that I would try to convert the game line by line to Sinclair ZX spectrum basic.

Code
The zx spectrum code is a line by line conversion into ZX Spectrum basic as well as I could convert it. The original CBM PET code is provided for reference. Some elements of the game had to be changed. This is due to the Spectrum only having 32 columns of text compared to the 40 of the CBM PET, but it still plays just like the original game.

Controls
- S - Start game
- P - Up
- L - Down
- Z - Left
- X - Right
- SPC - Steal item

Downloading and playing
Download the either the shoplifter-original.tap or shoplifter-enhanced.tap file and load it up in your favorite ZX Spectrum emulator to play the game.

Shoplifter-original is as close to the pet version as I could get it.
Shoplifter-enhanced adds colour for the spectrum version
✓ PROCESSED
DH 03/03/2024
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: NEW GAME - Shoplifting boy

Post by R-Tape »

gazj wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:15 pm Manbiki Shonen (AKA Shoplifting boy)

Ta for the heads-up. Great conversion @gazj! I'd never heard of Manbiki Shounen before. The cut scenes are the best bit. Original green on black for me :dance

Sending you a PM.