SHEEPISH-so much violence in the world of herding!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: SHEEPISH-so much violence in the world of herding!

Post by R-Tape »

gabriele amore wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:30 pm no that is "Hungry like the wolf" by Duran Duran :D
When Peter mentioned it further up the thread, I thought it meant the intro music and it was a classical reference :oops:
RichardHallas
Drutt

Post by RichardHallas »

gabriele amore wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:11 am the new version should be ok now ... at least THAT bug should have been taken care for
Great! Thanks a lot for squashing these bugs so quickly.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

As for game bugs, one of the problems Gabriele had with AGDx Mini was that the final game only runs on 128k machines (despite being >48k). If anyone knows an easy fix then please let him know.

And to clarify about the music… The in-game tune is indeed "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran - this is specifically what @gabriele amore wanted for the game. But I've made plenty of changes, making the track into a unique remix. Every other tune is original for the game - complete all 10 levels to hear everything! :-)
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

gabriele amore wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:05 am it has 10 levels plus a boss level (plus a training level)
you can see each one by pressing N to skip
(Q+A to restart if you need it )
Thanks very much for that, and I absolutely love the cover of Hungry Like The Wolf, too :D

Got some gameplay here, but I kept dying on level 4, so I don't know when I'll get to No.10 :)

Daveysloan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:41 pm I don't know about having to reveal how many levels there are, there seems to be a rush to have walkthroughs & spoilers for absolutely every single element of pretty much every brand new Speccy game within moments of release (especially when Devs have spent months crafting them), so it's nice to retain some mystery, even if it's only for a few hours.
Don't watch them, then? I like to know, as it's not always a straight 10 or 20, and depending on time available to play the game, if I can only get to level 15 out of 16, for example, without knowing I'm near the end, I might call it a day, but if I know there's 16, I'll stick it out some more.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

DVDfever wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:18 am when someone posts a new platformer, PLEASE state how many levels there are! :)
Personally, I agree. While I obviously don't want all a game's secrets spoiled before I've even started playing, I can definitely enjoy a game more when I have some idea of its size. Are we talking 5 minutes or 5 hours to complete? Knowing the length doesn't spoil it. It's like when you read a book, you always know how far through you are. Or when you check how long a movie lasts so you can plan your evening. It doesn't spoil the film! :dance
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I've uploaded the soundtrack on ZX-Art :-)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Another review. This time from TJ. Thanks for the mention!

Old-User
Dizzy

Post by Old-User »

Lee Bee wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pm As for game bugs, one of the problems Gabriele had with AGDx Mini was that the final game only runs on 128k machines (despite being >48k). If anyone knows an easy fix then please let him know.
Do you mean the game could run on 48K machine with AY card?
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:39 pm Another review. This time from TJ. Thanks for the mention!
This video cracked me up :lol: especially when TJ swore.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:39 pm Another review. This time from TJ. Thanks for the mention!
This guy aleawys makes me chuckle! He Is so much fun!
However, something weird was happening during the play, i wonder of It Is a problema with the next, since i never saw this happening to me (parts of the backdrop being disrupted during the gameplay)...well that is why it is good to have the restart option..
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I tried playing again on my Next and after many tries, was able to encounter the bug that shows in TJ's video (attributes on the edges of the play area go funky). I could only see it happen on level 2 and it only happened once out of many tries. FYI, I'm playing on the latest version - downloaded yesterday and I also used kempston while playing. Also tried using the keyboard but did not see the bug happen.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Oops, I ran into another bug. This one causes you to have to reset the computer or skip to the next level. It can be reproduced on the Next as well as on an emulator.
It happens on level 1. Here's how to reproduce the bug:
1. On level 1, pick up any sheep
2. Get yourself in front of the ACME truck, then move left so that you wrap onto the right side of the bottom level.
3. walk over the gap and you will become an ever-changing jumbled animated mess. I couldn't get out of this except by pressing N for next level.

gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

oh!... that is annoying :(
Anyway some of these issues can probably be solved by making some change in the backdrop (for some reason haveing hole close to the edge of the screen crates problems..)
Last edited by gabriele amore on Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

gabriele amore wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:53 am oh!... pfff!
had I noticed all these problems I would have not released teh game... :(
Fear not Gab - I completed it and didn't notice any bugs!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Agree. These are minor bugs which don’t affect the awesome gameplay in any way. I completed the game with only a couple of small graphical errors popping up.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

cmal wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:40 pm Oops, I ran into another bug. This one causes you to have to reset the computer or skip to the next level. It can be reproduced on the Next as well as on an emulator.
It happens on level 1. Here's how to reproduce the bug:
1. On level 1, pick up any sheep
2. Get yourself in front of the ACME truck, then move left so that you wrap onto the right side of the bottom level.
3. walk over the gap and you will become an ever-changing jumbled animated mess. I couldn't get out of this except by pressing N for next level.

ok one problem may be due to the fact that i am using AGDxmini which uses 8x8 sprites to draw characters that are wider (16x16 or even 24x16 in the case of the wolf holding the sheep, using 8x8 bloxk around the 8x8 sprite).. so when they are on the edge of platform the script checks if part of the "characters"is touching the platform or not (in which case the whole character does not fall even if the the 8x8 sprite is not touching the platform). This works ok as long as you don't do sudden movements, but if you go on the edge and quickly change direction, everything gets messy... probably i should use this way of making characters (using blocks) with another AGD engine that uses 16x16 sprites...i will see about that next time. .. as far as this game goes i don't see a good way to fix the problem
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

That review is hilarious and TJ is great fun. 18 minutes just to get past the first level! :lol:
Lee Bee wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pm One of the problems Gabriele had with AGDx Mini was that the final game only runs on 128k machines (despite being >48k).
Old-User wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:47 pm Do you mean the game could run on 48K machine with AY card?
Yes, theoretically. I put a lot of effort into optimising my music to keep the game under 48k. Pity the final game doesn't run on 48k.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

small update: i uploaded a newer version with a small modif of lev 1 (to avoid the problem of the circling grafics)
could you please upload it to the database? tnx
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I will do this @gabriele amore

PROCESSED
PJ 21/04/2024

gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

another review, this time form Nick Jenkins
(I always like it better when people talks during the review)