Cesare The Somnambule

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Cesare The Somnambule

Post by PeterJ »

https://zxamaze.itch.io/cesare-the-somnambule

Welcome to our tribute to the expressionistic master piece from Robert Wiene: "Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari".

A fair comes to town: You are 'Cesare The Somnambule', who is the big attracion of the show. The illustrious Dr. Caligari is the one who controls your life (awake and asleep). You want to escape from this constant nightmare and break teh hypnotic influence of the evil doctor.

You will start in a room within the Asylum. Try to stay awake and find a way to escape. Next find the newspaper to get updated and follow your plan to expose Dr. Caligari to the authorities. Don't fall asleep or you will be lost forever!

Navigate through the woods! This is not that easy as the mysterious forest pathways change between day and night. Can you escape the evil?

Follow the voice in Cesare's head, his thoughts are displayed and will guide you through the game (Press 'L' to display Cesare's latest thought!).
PROCESSED
DH 29/03/24
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Re: Cesare The Somnambule

Post by Andre Leao »

Never expected to hear Peter Murphy and their gang on a speccy game. Looks amazing!
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

I can't say I got too far, but it's fun :)

Solaris104
Drutt

Post by Solaris104 »

Very nice game. Can coffee beans be collected? I finished it, but I almost fell asleep :-)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Solaris104 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 pm Very nice game. Can coffee beans be collected? I finished it, but I almost fell asleep :-)
Yep, but you need another object to put the beans. I guess you didn´t find the object yet.

There are two endings :)
jorgegv
Microbot

Post by jorgegv »

Wow, you beat me on this one! I was going to post the announcement on SC but @PeterJ did it before me!

Well, all us on Team Moritz hope that you enjoy the game, it's an adventure game in the spirit of classic Lucasarts/Sierra, unrolling a plot and getting/using objects, etc.

And it's the first big game to use my RAGE1 engine.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Awesome. Very stylish game! With this and Dr. Acula, I'm starting to think Halloween has come 7 months early this year!
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

Lee Bee wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 pm Awesome. Very stylish game! With this and Dr. Acula, I'm starting to think Halloween has come 7 months early this year!
Well, in the UK at least, Late Night With The Devil is in the cinema at the moment, and that's the best Halloween-set film I've seen in a long time. Far more deserving of that slot than the awful Exorcist Believer.
jorgegv
Microbot

Post by jorgegv »

Just a small update:

The Plus3 DSK version has been just uploaded to Itch.io, you can create your physical disks or use your Goteks if you want :-) It loads in 15 secs!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Very stylish and oneiric (how do I know such words? ;) ) indeed. At moments feels like some old, black and white, expressionist movie.
jorgegv
Microbot

Post by jorgegv »

That's exactly what we intended to convey, so thanks :-)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Amazing stuff, GOTY candidate for me. A true Spectrum game (whatever that means ;)
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

jorgegv wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 am That's exactly what we intended to convey, so thanks :-)
Oh, this is your game? Sorry, totally missed it. Will download and play later. :)

(Very busy with real life lately.)
jorgegv
Microbot

Post by jorgegv »

Timmy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:44 am Oh, this is your game? Sorry, totally missed it. Will download and play later. :)

(Very busy with real life lately.)
Not only mine, but yes the code is all mine. It's been made with my RAGE1 engine, and I think the result is quite acceptable :-)

We also have artists, musicians and designers in the team.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

As a big fan of the film, I can't describe
Spoiler
what a relief is to see Cesare free of Caligari's influence (albeit in the good ending) I always felt overwhelmed with pity for the unwilling murderer who is, in one of the most widely acknowledged interpretation, the German -but not only- common people manipulated by a tyrant, an eerie prophecy about what was going to happen two decades later and an issue that is still relevant today. This game gives me that spark of hope that maybe one day we could rebel to our own "tyrants".
BTW: is the OST available somehow?