The latest ZXDB update will be applied this evening at 1800 BST. The update takes around 30 minutes, and the site goes down whilst this happens.

Retro Rendezvous Event in Central Scotland : Thu 25th April 2024

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Tosk
Drutt

Retro Rendezvous Event in Central Scotland : Thu 25th April 2024

Post by Tosk »

I run a monthly retro computer event in Falkirk, central Scotland. It is fairly Acorn centric (BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, Atom, and Archimedes/RISC OS machines) but we welcome all retro machine owners and we regularly have Sinclair machines on show. It's a small community of like-minded individuals, meeting in a comfortable and modern setting – the Falkirk Business Hub, in central Falkirk, Scotland.

Each event brings around 10-17 owners of retro machines each month.

It costs £6 and requires registration at the Retrorendezvous website here:-

https://retrorendezvous.org/apr2024

Thursday 25th April 2024 - 7:00PM running until 10:00PM

🕹 Event Features:

This is an informal gathering for...

- Show and Tell: Bring your own hardware to display and discuss with others.
- Collaborative Working: Spend time on hardware, programming, or gaming projects.
- Knowledge Exchange: Share ideas, insights, and skills with other enthusiasts.
- Advice on Repair and Upgrade: Reviving poorly Acorn machines.
- Socialize and Enjoy : There's a kitchen for coffee, tea and biscuits. We're in the town centre for bars, pubs and restaurants for potential afterwards gatherings.

🔎 April 2024 Special Focus : Adventure Games

I'll be including a specially written version of "The Hobbit" - "Exploring Wilderland" written in BASIC on a BBC Micro that allows you to explore the original map of the game and it includes NPCs (remember Thorin and Gandalf?) with some additional programming to make them a little more...unpredictable. Just like in the original - wild things may happen! I'll include a kiosk powerpoint on how I approached this coding project.

I'll also have various adventure games running on a 128K Spectrum Toastrack.

Bring along your own favourite text adventure/graphic adventure game and experience text/graphic adventures the way they were meant to be played—on vintage hardware! We’ll have setups ready for you to step back in time and immerse yourself in nostalgia.

🕹 Event Limitation:

Unfortunately we can't allow use of soldering irons at this event due to fire alarm / fire safety constraints.
Please do not bring hardware that you think may have the potential to blow capacitors.

📅 Date & Time:
Thursday 25th April 2024 7:00PM running until 10:00PM

📍 Location: Falkirk Business Hub

45 Vicar St, Falkirk FK1 1LL

Access : use the side door on Vicar Street. This also has disabled access.

https://falkirkbusinesshub.co.uk/ – a contemporary venue centrally located, just a 2-minute walk from Grahamston Train Station and with seamless access to the M9 motorway between Stirling and Edinburgh. Numerous bars and restaurants are nearby for post-event socializing.

🚗🅿 There are two recommended car parks:-

i) Weir street car park which is next to the venue. Free parking in the evenings
ii) Melville street - one street away - also free in the evenings.
Spectrum 128K toastrack with divMMC Future and ZXUITAPE https://retrorendezvous.org/