Retro Rendezvous Event in Central Scotland : Thu 25th April 2024

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Tosk
Drutt

Retro Rendezvous Event in Central Scotland : Thu 25th April 2024

Post by Tosk »

I run a monthly retro computer event in Falkirk, central Scotland. It is fairly Acorn centric (BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, Atom, and Archimedes/RISC OS machines) but we welcome all retro machine owners and we regularly have Sinclair machines on show. It's a small community of like-minded individuals, meeting in a comfortable and modern setting – the Falkirk Business Hub, in central Falkirk, Scotland.

Each event brings around 10-17 owners of retro machines each month.

It costs £6 and requires registration at the Retrorendezvous website here:-

https://retrorendezvous.org/apr2024

Thursday 25th April 2024 - 7:00PM running until 10:00PM

🕹 Event Features:

This is an informal gathering for...

- Show and Tell: Bring your own hardware to display and discuss with others.
- Collaborative Working: Spend time on hardware, programming, or gaming projects.
- Knowledge Exchange: Share ideas, insights, and skills with other enthusiasts.
- Advice on Repair and Upgrade: Reviving poorly Acorn machines.
- Socialize and Enjoy : There's a kitchen for coffee, tea and biscuits. We're in the town centre for bars, pubs and restaurants for potential afterwards gatherings.

🔎 April 2024 Special Focus : Adventure Games

I'll be including a specially written version of "The Hobbit" - "Exploring Wilderland" written in BASIC on a BBC Micro that allows you to explore the original map of the game and it includes NPCs (remember Thorin and Gandalf?) with some additional programming to make them a little more...unpredictable. Just like in the original - wild things may happen! I'll include a kiosk powerpoint on how I approached this coding project.

I'll also have various adventure games running on a 128K Spectrum Toastrack.

Bring along your own favourite text adventure/graphic adventure game and experience text/graphic adventures the way they were meant to be played—on vintage hardware! We’ll have setups ready for you to step back in time and immerse yourself in nostalgia.

🕹 Event Limitation:

Unfortunately we can't allow use of soldering irons at this event due to fire alarm / fire safety constraints.
Please do not bring hardware that you think may have the potential to blow capacitors.

📅 Date & Time:
Thursday 25th April 2024 7:00PM running until 10:00PM

📍 Location: Falkirk Business Hub

45 Vicar St, Falkirk FK1 1LL

Access : use the side door on Vicar Street. This also has disabled access.

https://falkirkbusinesshub.co.uk/ – a contemporary venue centrally located, just a 2-minute walk from Grahamston Train Station and with seamless access to the M9 motorway between Stirling and Edinburgh. Numerous bars and restaurants are nearby for post-event socializing.

🚗🅿 There are two recommended car parks:-

i) Weir street car park which is next to the venue. Free parking in the evenings
ii) Melville street - one street away - also free in the evenings.
Spectrum 128K toastrack with divMMC Future and ZXUITAPE https://retrorendezvous.org/