I ❤️ Kosmic Kanga. Who's with me? 🤣

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
AlWo73
Dizzy

I ❤️ Kosmic Kanga. Who's with me? 🤣

Post by AlWo73 »

Review re-mix on ZX SPECTRUM - IT LIVES!!! at:

https://zxspectrumitlives.wixsite.com/h ... smic-kanga

clebin
Manic Miner

Re: I ❤️ Kosmic Kanga. Who's with me? 🤣

Post by clebin »

Never rated it. :lol:
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I paid 50p for it at a zx microfair in about 1984, mostly because I liked the inlay. Can’t actually remember playing it though!!
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

not "who"

WHAT

:mrgreen:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

@clebin took one for the team and played it through to completion, so that the rest of us don't have to ever play it again :dance
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
AlWo73
Dizzy

Post by AlWo73 »

Morkin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:39 pm @clebin took one for the team and played it through to completion, so that the rest of us don't have to ever play it again :dance
You'll come round one day Mirkin 🤣
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

I like it. Haven’t played it in eons, mind, but remember it fondly. And I can still play the tune in my head.

But Project Future…? Now you’re talking! I’ve come back to that a few times.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

I've never played it until now. I'm very good at it, if the object of the game is to bounce around a bit and die.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Really nice article, @AlWo73.

@Lee P There's definitely a knack to Kosmic Kanga and loads of people seem to find it uncontrollable. For instance, in the Sinclair User review:
Controlling the kangaroo is rather haphazard and consequently zapping anything becomes a matter of luck as well as skill.
But don't believe a word of it!

The controls are very precise once you get used to them.

The secret is in using the down key to "cancel" your jump at the exactly the height you want. The down key is where ALL the control is, and you can use it to choose exactly where you want to land. If you're trying to control Kanga's jumps just using the "up" key - eg. tapping it more lightly for a shorter jump - you're definitely doing it wrong and you'll end up wildly out of control. Once you get it, 99% of the deaths in KK are self-inflicted.

(I originally wrote a much longer post about this but realised I was being a boring ****)
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Fun fact: I played a bootleg version named "Batrax" that featured a frog instead of a kangaroo.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Kosmic Kanga is a brilliant game, but you have to spend some time with it to learn its “quirky” gameplay. I suppose that came from not owning many games back in the day, so you spent a lot of time with each one to try and get the most out of it.

The key thing I remember is using the down button more than the up button, meaning you spend a lot of the time on the ground, then let go of the down button to go a little higher. Pressing down and fire means you hit the ground based enemies easier. Also use the platforms and the then keeping pressing down to stay on the platform.

It’s one of the few games I remember completing and really going for a high score.

Only negative would be the rendition of “Tie Me Kangaroo Down” and it’s link with the disgraced performer Rolf Harris…. Although I liked the beeper tune at the time!
AlWo73
Dizzy

Post by AlWo73 »

clebin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:56 pm Really nice article, @AlWo73.

@Lee P There's definitely a knack to Kosmic Kanga and loads of people seem to find it uncontrollable. For instance, in the Sinclair User review:

But don't believe a word of it!

The controls are very precise once you get used to them.

The secret is in using the down key to "cancel" your jump at the exactly the height you want. The down key is where ALL the control is, and you can use it to choose exactly where you want to land. If you're trying to control Kanga's jumps just using the "up" key - eg. tapping it more lightly for a shorter jump - you're definitely doing it wrong and you'll end up wildly out of control. Once you get it, 99% of the deaths in KK are self-inflicted.

(I originally wrote a much longer post about this but realised I was being a boring ****)
Thanks sir 😀

You're spot on about the 'pressing down' thing, I've only just realised I do that automatically when playing it, so didn't mention it in my review, but in fairness that technique is a literal game-changer. This could convert some naysayers 🤣
AlWo73
Dizzy

Post by AlWo73 »

Oloturia wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:42 am Fun fact: I played a bootleg version named "Batrax" that featured a frog instead of a kangaroo.
I think that might have come before KK and was the inspiration for it, sure I've read that somewhere..
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

AlWo73 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:42 am I think that might have come before KK and was the inspiration for it, sure I've read that somewhere..
How interesting! And a uMIA? Check your attic @Oloturia! Otherwise, let’s hope @Andre Leao and friends can uncover it for us someday…
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

It's erm, original! :mrgreen:
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

clebin wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:39 am How interesting! And a uMIA? Check your attic @Oloturia! Otherwise, let’s hope @Andre Leao and friends can uncover it for us someday…
I will check this game in a few days :)
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

clebin wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:39 am How interesting! And a uMIA? Check your attic @Oloturia! Otherwise, let’s hope @Andre Leao and friends can uncover it for us someday…
Well it's featured on the magazine Run #7.
https://www.edicola8bit.com/giochi.php? ... a=run&id=7

Neither Edicola8bit nor hal.varese (which has an expired certificate problem right now) have split the tape into the various programs, so you'll have to browse the tzx through until you find the "BATRAX" headers. The first one is the instructions (in Italian).
I always thought it was a crack with custom sprites. Run did the same with Screaming Demons, the demons were different for each level.

AlWo73
Dizzy

Post by AlWo73 »

Ah right, thanks. I must have been confused thinking that game came first! Apologies...
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Shame it's not something more exciting, but I'm glad the mystery is solved.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

They managed to change the final splash screen, too.
Frankie
Manic Miner

Post by Frankie »

Everyone loves Kosmic Kanga, such a brill game :)