Game of the day...

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
blucey
Manic Miner

Re: Game of the day...

Post by blucey »

Having been reminded of it today when I thought it was the Guess the Screen$ game, I decided to fire up Chronos but this time not just listen to the music. I never much rated it as a kid but I thought I'd give it a go and, you know what?, it's still GASH!

Ugh! It's about the most dull shoot 'em up since Space Invaders. But I guess it's more of a Scramble sort of game, albeit it about a tenth as good. The boring visuals, the jerky scrolling, the tap-tap-tap-squish-tap-tap-squish-tap sound effects and the useless enemies are all bad but the worst thing is maybe the boss.

Honestly, is there a less interesting, less inspiring, less challenging boss than the floating diamond thing that harmless bounces near you for that whole battle? Absolute cack.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

blucey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:36 pm I decided to fire up Chronos […] Absolute cack.
LOL. It seems Mr Follin's musical talents were wasted on that game.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Heh you're playing it wrong @blucey - think of it as relaxing car journey, with explosions.

I definitely get why it's a marmite game though. Some will like the atmosphere and that it's not too difficult, but I can see why some would see it as a slog.

Contrary to most - I like the game but not the music! I'm not a fan of squelchy beeper.
jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

blucey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:36 pm Having been reminded of it today when I thought it was the Guess the Screen$ game, I decided to fire up Chronos but this time not just listen to the music. I never much rated it as a kid but I thought I'd give it a go and, you know what?, it's still GASH!

Ugh! It's about the most dull shoot 'em up since Space Invaders. But I guess it's more of a Scramble sort of game, albeit it about a tenth as good. The boring visuals, the jerky scrolling, the tap-tap-tap-squish-tap-tap-squish-tap sound effects and the useless enemies are all bad but the worst thing is maybe the boss.

Honestly, is there a less interesting, less inspiring, less challenging boss than the floating diamond thing that harmless bounces near you for that whole battle? Absolute cack.
Bit harsh, but it was two quid - worth it just for the tune and the high score table

There's a lump of concrete in my folks back garden that's holding up a washing line post - it's inscribed with "JING IT BABY"
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I always return to Maglaxians. It just cheers me up, and reminds me that I may never tire of platform games. You probably couldn't get more 'oldschool' and 'bedroom' if you tried. 23 lives, I reached level 10... of 128!

(Keys QW and Cshift if you fancy a go)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

@R-Tape, wow! a nice platformer i never knew about! despite… let's say, not the best graphics, it is suprisingly fun to play. thank you!
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:31 pm Image

I always return to Maglaxians. It just cheers me up, and reminds me that I may never tire of platform games. You probably couldn't get more 'oldschool' and 'bedroom' if you tried. 23 lives, I reached level 10... of 128!

(Keys QW and Cshift if you fancy a go)
This is BRILLIANT! Love the level design in this. :dance
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Glad you both like it! I think this user review by @Digital Prawn sums it up really well. Having level names, whether in Czech or English would add to the fun, though coming up with 128 of them could be a stretch...
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

I was thinking 23 lives was too generous, until I reached level 3 and that bloody trident thing at the bottom left. Argh!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

First time I'm hearing about Maglaxians too. What a name! I gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised! Very playable and I like the simplicity of the levels even though they still present a challenge. Thanks for the suggestion, @R-Tape.

A game that I've been going back to a lot lately is Wild West Hero. Also an early title which I discovered recently in Pete's voting poll on Paul Holmes games.
It's a Robotron 2084 clone with the usual hoards of enemies and frantic action. The attribute and sound effects that happen every time you lose a life do get a bit old after a while. My high score is somewhere around 65 000 and I keep going back to try beat it.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lee P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:09 pm I was thinking 23 lives was too generous, until I reached level 3 and that bloody trident thing at the bottom left. Argh!
I called it a wobbly candlestick, but my experience of it was much the same! In the end I had to do it from stationery, and mark where my feet needed to be and what stance.
Robbeasy
Dizzy

Post by Robbeasy »

I am confuzzled...

I agree Maglaxians play very well, but when I play it i have totally different graphics ? I have tried the one from the archive , and a couple of other copies in my trusty Fuse emulator - the main sprite especially is some wobbly legged alien creature for me... and no candlesticks in sight, just a round wobbly head??

Robbeasy
Dizzy

Post by Robbeasy »

and found out why - different graphics set if you load in 128k mode... never even knew this was possible.... ?
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:20 pm Rick Dangerous.

There are some visibility issues and poor colour choices—this is a game that would benefit from the @Ralf treatment.
Personally I've always really loved the colours in Rick Dangerous.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Robbeasy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:56 am and found out why - different graphics set if you load in 128k mode... never even knew this was possible.... ?
They're not different graphics, well they are, but not intentionally. The program uses memory location 23300, which needs to be zero so the program can find the graphics correctly. This location is zero on a 48K, but not a 128K, and the game was not made with a 128K in mind. So it tries to find the graphics, but it finds the wrong place.

POKE 23300,0 on loading fixes it. You can try poking it with different values to see all kinds of weird combinations!
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Lee Bee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:03 pm Personally I've always really loved the colours in Rick Dangerous.
oh, memories… when i first played R.D., i had b/w display. yay, no color problems at all! i still can't convince myself that this colorful Rick is the same i played. because i spent literally monthes playing, i learned everything, and i finished it! without any cheat pokes.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

At my first job I had a B&W monitor for a while. I got all the Saturn graphics displaying on the PS1.

Imagine my surprise when they got me a colour telly and the grass was pink and the sky was orange or something lol ;)

Had to endian correct all the graphics after that :)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

the best thing with Speccy b/w is that it is a nice shade of gray, ideal to implement fadeins and fadeouts: just inc/dec. which i did a lot in my programs with small z80 code snippets… and then i saw it on a color tv. had to remove all fades. ;-)
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Another game I worked on for the Wii (what a terrible debugger that had lol) was about 6 months in progress at least when one day the boss had a look and said "Why is that roof red instead of blue?". No one had compared it to the PS2 version before and it looked fine anyway.

Turns out it was the only model in the entire game which used vertex colour attributes to tint a mesh and we had forgotten to endian reverse that (from PS2 format), had remembered it for everything else.

EDIT: Either that or we had endian reversed it but Wii and PS2 may have used opposite RGB (BGR) order instead, can't remember...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Mushroom Soup. I heard the review on Crash radio this week and it reminded me how much I liked this little game. I noticed little extras like you actually bend down to pick up the mushrooms - not many games have that much attention to detail! It's only ten levels too, so I play it 'on bread and water' like we used to, rather than relying on snapshots.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:14 pm Mushroom Soup.
I'm reassured by it only having ten levels, perhaps I'm less rubbish than I thought. (Got as far as The Pits)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lee P wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:43 am I'm reassured by it only having ten levels, perhaps I'm less rubbish than I thought. (Got as far as The Pits)
First attempt, level one was a nightmare for me. I needed to get used to the strict collision and most importantly not be so bloody eager.

There's a trick with The Pits: it's easy with it, and very hard without it.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

I got past that bit (assuming you mean trapping the knights in the pits), but then stupidly died at the top.

As you say, the collision takes some getting used to. I'm pleased there's ten lives!
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Been playing Catwalk today, a game I've never played from a software house I'd never heard of (Power Software).

It's rather frustrating and has an incredibly annoying death sequence, but your character Snooky the cat does get nine lives and it is quite addictive.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lee P wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:55 pm Been playing Catwalk today
I'm pretty fond of this game. Just had a blast myself - and thoroughly failed to reach the catfood on screen 4. I don't think it's possible to represent a Jackdaw better in as many pixels.

Looking at the map, the penultimate screen features JSW, Horace and Kong. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised as they were massive hits from the off, but it seems a bit weird to be giving nods to its peers in 1984. I would have thought it more of a homebrew thing, way after the event.