Rave to the sound of... a ZX Spectrum loading

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Rave to the sound of... a ZX Spectrum loading

Post by PeteProdge »

The last five minutes of this rave mix has the unmistakable sound of lots of Speccy bytes being loaded in, with sampled drumbeats and other things all around the place. I'm 100% confident it's the Speccy, not a dial-up modem or a similar 8-bit computer cassette. Towards the end, they drop in some pilot tone/title sounds ("boooorrrrrr-kik!").

I'll give ten billion pounds and a gold-plated mansion to anyone who correctly identifies the game.
(Offer expires at 12:21 UK time on 23rd August 2022.)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
luny
Manic Miner

Re: Rave to the sound of... a ZX Spectrum loading

Post by luny »

Oh that is easy, it's the loading screen for... Oh damn ran out of time.
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Easy, it's the loading screen of Advanced Park Run Simulator by Code Basterds.
Green Bert
Drutt

Post by Green Bert »

I can't identify the game but I can identify the song - Manic Minor by Jega from 1999. With that title it's got to be a Spectrum as opposed to anything else.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Green Bert wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:53 pm I can't identify the game but I can identify the song - Manic Minor by Jega from 1999. With that title it's got to be a Spectrum as opposed to anything else.
Ah new to me - great shout. I think we can put it even further beyond reasonable doubt, not that there was any, that Jega is a Specchum if you look at his 1998 album, Spectrum. Also has links to Radiohead and The Aphex Twin* who also give nods to the speccy. (and his biography says his first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

*or did I imagine this one?
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

:shock:
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

The tracklisting of his album 1995 is full of Spectrum references:
1 FZ Requiem 1:38
2 Knight Lore 3:35
3 Lake Windermere 3:58
4 Vermilion 5:12
5 Saint Bees 3:12
6 Mancunian Way 3:51
7 Momentum (SH101DRSSMIX) 3:04
8 NIMA 2:58
9 British Rail 2:18
10 Lunar Jetman 4:34
11 ZX82 4:21
12 Shockwave Rider 4:43
13 Starglider 1:38
14 Sabre Wulf 4:37
15 UNIVAC 6:33
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:22 pm The last five minutes of this rave mix has the unmistakable sound of lots of Speccy bytes being loaded in, with sampled drumbeats and other things all around the place. I'm 100% confident it's the Speccy, not a dial-up modem or a similar 8-bit computer cassette. Towards the end, they drop in some pilot tone/title sounds ("boooorrrrrr-kik!").

I'll give ten billion pounds and a gold-plated mansion to anyone who correctly identifies the game.
(Offer expires at 12:21 UK time on 23rd August 2022.)
That's an excellent rave mix, I know the guy who made it* and he's incredibly talented and devilishly handsome.

I only found this thread because I had something to add to the "Spectrum loading noises sampled in music" discussion. Perhaps it was on the other forum and I'll have to start one myself.

*me
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Ravey Davey Gravy wrote:Well kickin'!
All I was doing was loading Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.
Ravey Davey Gravy wrote:Where's the tunes gone, man?
It finished loading.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

What about this from popular beat combo The Snap Dankles? Sounds like a mashed up Speccy loading screen to me (almost a minute in)

Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

clebin wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:47 am What about this from popular beat combo The Snap Dankles? Sounds like a mashed up Speccy loading screen to me (almost a minute in)
That's the Jet Pac loading screen attributes, that is!

GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:16 pmThe Aphex Twin* who also give nods to the speccy. (and his biography says his first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

*or did I imagine this one?
No, you didn't imagine it, it's "Peek 824545201"...

Here's a track from Stereo MCs with some more Speccy loading goodness (hidden track at 4:52)...

clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Lee P wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:40 pm That's the Jet Pac loading screen attributes, that is!
Fabulous! How did you find that out? Did you just recognise it or was it talked about elsewhere?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

GreenCard wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:24 pm No, you didn't imagine it, it's "Peek 824545201"...
As I recall, PEEK 824545201 was a command you could only do on the 825MB ZX Spectrums.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Danke by Idles

Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

clebin wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:56 pm Fabulous! How did you find that out? Did you just recognise it or was it talked about elsewhere?
I guessed it was an Ultimate game from the distinctive noise it made (Ultimate only used 22 of the 24 rows for a loading screen, so there was always a long "blaaaaarp" at the end), and after that it was a process of elimination.
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

Aphex Twin's Cornish Acid starts with some quiet loading noise and ends with a header (which I checked in an emulator and it identifies itself as STARSTRIKE)

It runs into Peek 824545201 on the album but the loading noise that opens that track isn't from any version of Starstrike 3D I've found.