New game: Binary Battle!

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Haplo
Drutt

New game: Binary Battle!

Post by Haplo »

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that the ZX Spectrum port of Binary Battle is ready: https://h4plo.itch.io/binary-battle

Binary Battle is a novel take on the dungeon crawler genre, in which go through the depths of five levels of your disk, kill viruses, upgrade your powers, collect coins and spend them on upgrades, find keys to the encrypted chests and find the exit to the next level.

It all happens inside your disk, using an imaginary antivirus program.

You have just woken up to find out your floppy disk is full of viruses! Unfortunately, it contains the only copy source code of the game you have been working on in the past months...

Recover the source code before the disk is damaged beyond repair! Luckily, you have an excellent antivirus program, Binary Battle, at your disposal. Use it to destroy all the viruses before it is too late.

Your disk has limited health, which decreases as the viruses attack. Also, each action generates heat, and if your drive overheats, your disk slowly takes damage.

The downloadable archive contains the user manual in English, Spanish and Portuguese. They are designed to resemble the 1980s software manuals.

I hope you will enjoy it!

PROCESSED
DH 26/4/24
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Re: New game: Binary Battle!

Post by Daveysloan »

Fantastic, this looks to be a bit different & very intriguing. Great stuff.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Just looked at the manual, this looks quite interesting.

Added to Morkin's weekend playlist. :D
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Superb idea and presentation. It's taking a few goes but I'm getting the hang of it.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Took me a while to work out what was going on. Eventually I sussed that it’s a balance between killing viruses, collecting coins, opening folders, encrypted files, ‘loot boxes’ , using items and then keeping an eye on CPU temp because each action increases the temp. Only got to level 2 so far.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Awesome game idea. I am truly nostalgic for this style of operating system, back when an OS had a small, solid code and never crashed. I'd happily switch back to something like this if I could.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Not bad for my first try. This is more of a management game than anything else. :)

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Completed! What a wonderful game, a mix of strategy and luck. Congrats, I´m sure it will go high on the next GOTY
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

strange, why there is no mouse control for ZX
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Quite an interesting and original game. Very nice use of dungeon crawler grind gameplay (in a good way) in a novel setting.

Got as far as level 3, where I could feel the difficulty tangibly spike with the presence of lots of 'strong' viruses. Despite saving a start-of-level snapshot and trying a few different routes/tactics, I had to admit defeat.

I assume the disk 'map' is a fixed design? Might make an interesting rogue-like if levels could be randomly generated and you could switch up and down between them.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Haplo
Drutt

Post by Haplo »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you have enjoyed the game.

I'm hoping to add mouse support in a future update.
Morkin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:04 pm Quite an interesting and original game. Very nice use of dungeon crawler grind gameplay (in a good way) in a novel setting.

Got as far as level 3, where I could feel the difficulty tangibly spike with the presence of lots of 'strong' viruses. Despite saving a start-of-level snapshot and trying a few different routes/tactics, I had to admit defeat.

I assume the disk 'map' is a fixed design? Might make an interesting rogue-like if levels could be randomly generated and you could switch up and down between them.
Almost everything in the game in randomised. The only fixed thing is the number of levels (5). Everything else (the depths, enemies, power ups, etc.) are all random. Every play-through is different.

It is not difficult to beat the game; it just needs patience and careful management, as Andre mentioned above. There are also a few useful tips at the beginning of the manual.
zxcygnus
Drutt

Post by zxcygnus »

goodboy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:48 pm strange, why there is no mouse control for ZX
Agree. This game needs mouse control. I guess, in game is enough time even for AMouse. But at least Kempston Mouse should be supported.
https://cygnus.speccy.cz/ - mostly harmless user of ZX Spectrum 128k +2, Betadisk with TRDOS 5.05cz or DivIDE with ESXDOS