Atic-Atac Isometric Version

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Atic-Atac Isometric Version

Post by stupidget »

Now this looks like it's going be something rather special:

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/09/a ... .html#more

And its going to be free :D

Not brand new Speccy software, but, somewhat Speccy related.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Atic-Atac Isometric Version

Post by druellan »

Yes! I'm following this project and the idea is a stroke of genius , but I really like the early mockups, more similar to Knight Lore.

https://twitter.com/EricRetro/status/10 ... 6659082242

The latest snap is visually nice, but...

https://twitter.com/EricRetro/status/10 ... 3997527040
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

They need to stop pugging the Ultimate and Atic Atac names before someone steps in to shut them down...
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Looks lovely.
I particularly like the frantic movement speed. Very Aticky-Atacky.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Joefish wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:16 pm They need to stop pugging the Ultimate and Atic Atac names before someone steps in to shut them down...
Yes, that would be a shame.
... especially since the same author was working on a Fairlight remake many years ago which was eventually shut down by The Edge. A damn shame as it looked and played really well, but unfortunately I was never finished. Hopefully he'll be able to finish this one though.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Ohh, it's the same dude? Awesome.
He's a glutton for the shutton...down. Or something.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Those sweet graphics have got to come from somewhere!
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Absolutely stunning re-imagining of a wonderful game!

Annoyingly though, its running at a resolution of 320 x 240 (I think!?) and looks as if its based upon 9x9 tile rooms? If it were 8x8 then conversion would be a lot simpler.

The graphics do convert well though, and some colour is even possible here and there. If it were to run as the original, with no moveable objects (not like Filmation etc), then a reasonable speed might be possible on the Speccy.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Unless of course we scroll the room by a few characters left or right as and when needed during play.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

This has got me thinking if there were many fast moving iso games on the Speccy.

Would there be any chance of getting anything like close to the speed of the gameplay in the vid? I'd be quite amazed if I saw it.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I think possibly not quite up to the speed of the remake, however, I think if the routines were all optimised well and the sprite routines unrolled, then a decent speed can be achieved. There are no nasties in the video yet, just the sparkly throwy thing that bounces around. No objects in the rooms can be physically moved, and theres no food items either, so all that would have to be considered.

Perhaps if we ask Craig nicely he'll redesign everything to suit 256 pixel width ;)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Well, you have Bobby Bearing (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=96&id=606), smaller graphics, but pretty fast, and wonderful physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWG6utK3KCI
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Bobby Bearing is my absolute favorite isometric game, EVER!

Unfortunately though it slows down rather a lot with more than just Bobby in the room :?
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Morkin wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:45 am This has got me thinking if there were many fast moving iso games on the Speccy.

Spindizzy was pretty fast if you errm..went fast.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Head over Heals was pretty fast compared to the likes of Knighlore and I don't remember there being quite as much sloooowww doooowwwwwn when there was a lot happening on the screen.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I'm ripping the graphics at the moment to try a few experimental mock-ups! Hehe :D
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

1K 3d Atic Atac ftw!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

1k! Thats far too big, aiming for 256 bytes actually! :D
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

arkannoyed wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm I'm ripping the graphics at the moment to try a few experimental mock-ups! Hehe :D
(waits expectantly to see the Atic Atac knight running around a chessboard) :D
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Morkin wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 pm
arkannoyed wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm I'm ripping the graphics at the moment to try a few experimental mock-ups! Hehe :D
(waits expectantly to see the Atic Atac knight running around a chessboard) :D
Well, actually....Sabreman did have an outing on the chessboard if I recall. :P
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Quazatron was pretty zippy - that was all designed so you could never pass behind scenery. In this case you would just have to order the sprites and overlay the two nearest doors. Just Nightshade without the scrolling. Though you'd want 8-way movement.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

arkannoyed wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:08 pm Perhaps if we ask Craig nicely he'll redesign everything to suit 256 pixel width ;)
Hah, the technical details are all out of my hands, really. I'm just designing and creating all the graphics while Richard refines his game engine. I have stated, though, that if anyone were to attempt a Spectrum conversion (well, a Spectrum Next version), that I'd make all the graphics available, though I suspect some would have to be amended slightly. We're currently trying to sort out some technical gameplay issues regarding the doors and room objects as well as where to place to door frame. Let's just say that the gameplay itself is (and will) continually be tweaked so that you still get that Atic Atac playability experience in an isometric viewpoint. The things is, we're not just throwing this together quickly and chucking it out there. I have long list of graphics to produce, half of them have animation of some sort.
Joefish wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:39 pm Though you'd want 8-way movement.
The footage revealed so far is using a test character (is it from Nightshade? I can't remember) as a stand in until I create all 4 playable characters. We might leave the demo character in there as wee unlockable. Each character, and enemy, will have 8 frames of animation and 8-way movement.

We've had some nice encouragement from a few ex-Rare staff, as well as from a couple of developers from the Spectrum days and the creator of the recent isometric game "Lumo" (prompting me to get meta and to include "Lumo" easter eggs into my list of graphics).

It's going to a lot of hard work for the 3 man team (yes, we even have a musician and he's produced a lot of cracking Spectrum and other game music over the years).
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

AWESOME!!!!!
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

The character you've used in the demo is the guard from Knight Lore, which only has 6 frames of animation (as does Sabreman, but with the optional head-looking-left-or-right frame). The guard sprite is actually quite an efficient sprite, and as with many of Ultimates characters, the top and bottom are separate. basically the guards top half is one frame and his legs 6 frames.

Eight way movement would make each character need 8x6 (48 frames) on the Speccy, and to be as fast as possible, no flipping can happen on the fly really, so it'll be quite a heavy load of maybe 15k per character if you include the masks too.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Thankfully, that’s something I don’t have to worry about and if it was going to be ported to a Spectrum, it’d be someone else’s problem ;) Also just leave out 2 frames of animation...2 of the characters you won’t really see their legs (and I haven’t decided about their arm animation) so 8 frames may not be needed for these on a Spectrum at least. I’ll still be creating 8 frames regardless.
I suppose you could just use 4 directions in a Speccy conversion, it still works as can be seen in the demo.