Manic Miner: The Lost Levels

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Manic Miner: The Lost Levels

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

After watching Manic Miner Ports by RetroGamerDiaries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ACkDmXwKe0.

I wondered if it would be possible to convert these levels back into the original Spectrum format.

The levels are from the Oric-1, Dragon 32, Amstrad CPC, BBC Micro and the Gameboy Advance releases and tries to replicate them as close as the original 48K game mechanic allows.

More details are on the "Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community" - https://jswmm.co.uk/topic/773-file-mani ... st-levels/

It is also available for download - https://jswmm.co.uk/files/file/172-mani ... st-levels/

Enjoy playing the game, this is my first attempt so comments and feedback are welcome.

All the best,

B
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Manic Miner: The Lost Levels

Post by R-Tape »

Fantastic. I didn't know about the extra levels on other platforms. It feels like I'm playing MM all over again in a parallel universe - so thanks!
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Parallel universe is right, but I'm finding these really bloody difficult, can only get to the third screen!
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

R-Tape wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:15 pm Fantastic. I didn't know about the extra levels on other platforms. It feels like I'm playing MM all over again in a parallel universe - so thanks!
Hi R-Tape, Thanks for your message. Hope that you are enjoying the game, this is my first attempt and it seem be doing well.

All the best,

B
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

Lee P wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:37 pm Parallel universe is right, but I'm finding these really bloody difficult, can only get to the third screen!
Hi Lee, Thanks for your message, I hope that you are not getting to put off by level 3. The trick is to work your way up to the top right corner then down to below the key, jump up to collect the key an into the exit.

As these are based on existing versions you can watch a walkthrough (I did) to see how the level was completed.

Here is a link to the Oric version

And this link should take you to the "End of the World" level

Keep trying and hope that you enjoy all the levels.

All the best,

B
rich_r
Drutt

Post by rich_r »

Level 3 (The end of the world) is proving very difficult for me too. I can do the first two without losing a life now, but I think I definitely prefer the original Menagerie :) But it's nice to see the variety of alternative levels from the other platforms (no pun intended).
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

The-Red-Bayron wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 am Hi Lee, Thanks for your message, I hope that you are not getting to put off by level 3. The trick is to work your way up to the top right corner then down to below the key, jump up to collect the key an into the exit.
Cheers! I worked it out in the end, using snapshots I'm up to the Meteor Storm now, a few tricky levels in between though... but MM is supposed to be difficult!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

The-Red-Bayron wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 am Hi R-Tape, Thanks for your message. Hope that you are enjoying the game, this is my first attempt and it seem be doing well.
Indeed it is. I'm halfway and enjoying it. Sent you a PM btw.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

There are actually two different "Lost Levels" games at the link - you all seem to be playing the first version, which is the good but inferior one that's just a big grab bag of Oric and Game Boy Advance levels. The second version is actually a proper recreation of the Nintendo DS Lost Levels game with the correct levels in the right order, and is more challenging.

https://jswmm.co.uk/topic/772-manic-min ... st-levels/
rich_r
Drutt

Post by rich_r »

Nah - they're way harder than the first set :D Did manage to complete the first two and "End of the world" though.

Lots of fun :)
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I quite enjoyed playing them. :) So thank you (again)

Amstrad Final Barrier is quite hard for timing but I found the rest quite straightforward and its good to see a couple of BBC levels too on our Speccies. :)

EDIT... I'm referring to the file submission game/set not the ones attached the other topic itself.
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

StanVanman wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:32 pm There are actually two different "Lost Levels" games at the link - you all seem to be playing the first version, which is the good but inferior one that's just a big grab bag of Oric and Game Boy Advance levels. The second version is actually a proper recreation of the Nintendo DS Lost Levels game with the correct levels in the right order, and is more challenging.

https://jswmm.co.uk/topic/772-manic-min ... st-levels/
Hi Stan,

Thanks for your message. The first version of the Lost Levels was made before I knew about the DS version. As there were more than 20 Lost Levels from original releases (Oric-1, Dragon 32, Amstrad CPC, BBC Micro and the Gameboy Advance) couldn't include them all. When I found that the DS version included the 7 Oric levels and 1 new level I put together the Lost Levels DS version and included this explanation.

All the best,

B
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

They're both great :) but it's so cool to have the DS game ported back.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

(It might be an idea to rename the first version "The Missing Levels" or something to distinguish them and avoid confusion, because at the moment people don't seem to be noticing that the DS version exists, which is a real shame.)
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

StanVanman wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:43 am (It might be an idea to rename the first version "The Missing Levels" or something to distinguish them and avoid confusion, because at the moment people don't seem to be noticing that the DS version exists, which is a real shame.)
Hi Stan,

Sorry about the confusion with the naming I did'nt know about the DS version at the time.

I have updated the download to include the DS version and updated the readme and cassette label files as well.

https://jswmm.co.uk/files/file/172-mani ... st-levels/

Thanks for your comments.

All the best,

B
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

R-Tape wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:15 pm Fantastic. I didn't know about the extra levels on other platforms. It feels like I'm playing MM all over again in a parallel universe - so thanks!
R-Tape,

The quest goes on, there was a comment from Spider about the Sam Coupe version that had another 40 levels!! This is well underway.

All the best,

B
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

The-Red-Bayron wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:43 am I have updated the download to include the DS version and updated the readme and cassette label files as well.
Thank you. :)
The-Red-Bayron wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 pm The quest goes on, there was a comment from Spider about the Sam Coupe version that had another 40 levels!! This is well underway.
It was on my 'eventual' to-do list but its been on that for at least two if not three years, so its likely you'll have done this before I even manage to find time for it, realistically I'd not of expected myself to even look at it this year. :)
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

After dying loads on the third screen I've completed the first version (saving snapshots) and now onto the DS version, which seems even more difficult! But it's MM, it'd be no fun if it wasn't a challenge.
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

Lee P wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:42 pm After dying loads on the third screen I've completed the first version (saving snapshots) and now onto the DS version, which seems even more difficult! But it's MM, it'd be no fun if it wasn't a challenge.
Hi Lee,

Well done in completing the Lost Levels. I was exactly the same when I did it, couldn't do it in on go but got through it.

Have fun with the DS version, especially "In A Deep Dark Hole" where are a lot of the platforms are invisible!!

All the best,

B
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Finished the DS version now too (with snapshots again). Love the Deep Dark Hole, that took a few attempts!
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

Found the page for the DS game if anyone's interested.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120303141 ... egory=mmll
The-Red-Bayron
Drutt

Post by The-Red-Bayron »

Lee P wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:16 pm Finished the DS version now too (with snapshots again). Love the Deep Dark Hole, that took a few attempts!
Hi Lee,

Great to hear, they are supposed to be a bit of fun so I hoped that you enjoyed them both although there is an overlap with some of the levels.

The "The Deep Dark Hole" was one of the hardest to recreate as I had to watch the walk through video on a loop to try and figure out where the platforms were!!

Enough of me rambling on!!

Well done, all the best,

B