What tune is this?

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

What tune is this?

Post by R-Tape »

I'm adding the Azipack compilation to the DB (which I think by Azi's own admission has not a little in common with Firebird's Don't Buy This!). One of the games has an opening beeper ditty that I recognise. So I can add it as a musical reference, can anyone tell me what it is?

Download here.

The game is called Don't Try This! - to load it type LOAD "DON'T TRY!" (all caps, apostrophe, space, exclamation)
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Re: What tune is this?

Post by ParadigmShifter »

It's Enola Gay by OMD, about the bomber which dropped the atomic bomb on Japan.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nice one. Teh interwebs makes some things very easy! Cheers.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Answered within 5 minutes! God bless the internet! I could have answered, too, had I been quicker.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

It's not a very good rendition of the tune (which is a really famous melody, you may have to give back your 80s badge for that) :) I "named that tune" after about 1 second of listening to it lol. (Ok, maybe not that fast. But after the first bar anyway)

Playing the bass with a plectrum though deary deary me ;) That's worse than wearing a tie!

Not sure many people knew it was about the aircraft when it was released.

EDIT: Lyrics are a bit mumbly, here they are

Enola Gay
You should have stayed at home yesterday
Ah-ha, words can't describe
The feeling and the way you lied
These games you play
They're going to end in more than tears some day
Ah-ha, Enola Gay
It shouldn't ever have to end this way
It's eight fifteen
And that's the time that it's always been
We got your message on the radio
Conditions normal and you're coming home
Enola Gay
Is mother proud of little boy today?
Ah-ha, this kiss you give
It's never ever going to fade away
Enola Gay
It shouldn't ever have to end this way
Ah-ha, Enola Gay
It shouldn't fade in our dreams away
It's eight fifteen
And that's the time that it's always been
We got your message on the radio
Conditions normal and you're coming home
Enola Gay
Is mother proud of little boy today
Ah-ha, this kiss you give
It's never ever going to fade away

Little boy was the name of the bomb I believe (and fat boy was the 2nd one?) EDIT: 2nd one was fat man not fat boy. Those were nicknames not actual names of course.

Presumably "it's 8:15 and that's the time that it's always been" refers to all the clocks stopping at that time for obvious reasons
Last edited by ParadigmShifter on Wed May 08, 2024 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I never realised until quite recently that Enola Gay was the name of one of the pilots mothers! I bet she was reet chuffed.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Talking of music just found out that Steve Albini has died :( (On WoS but I can't post there at the moment!!!)

He was the producer sacked by Nirvana because they said his mix (of In Utero I think) was "unlistenable" of course, and Big Black were great (I think he played Guitar: Grrr instead of Guitar: Tring!). One of the pioneers of Industrial music? EDIT: Nirvana were of course a bad Mudhoney ripoff with a bit of The Pixies thrown in ;)

I would post a link to one of his tunes (the Big Black cover of The Model by Kraftwerk is excellent) but the name of the album may be a bit much lol ;)

RIP Steve.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:37 pm EDIT: Nirvana were of course a bad Mudhoney ripoff with a bit of The Pixies thrown in ;)

RIP Steve.
I’m with you 100% there. Mudhoney (and many of the Sub-Pop bands) were much (MUCH) better than Nirvana. Yes, Bleach is a cracking album but nowhere near as good as any of Mudhoney’s albums of the same time. I always thought Mudhoney were to Nirvana what Cyndi Lauper is to Madonna. Much, much better but never given the recognition they deserved. Very much like two other much underrated bands Fudge Tunnel (Earache Records) and B4stards ( Glitterhouse Records ( German Sub-Pop off shoot)), both well worth a listen if you’re into early 90s sludge metal or late 80’s alternative/grunge.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Mudhoney and Cyndi Lauper should do a mash up.

Girls just wanna touch me I'm sick (Sonic Youth did a good cover of Touch Me I'm Sick too).

EDIT: Also Kurt was a dick obvs you don't blow your own head off when you have a kiddo... knobhead
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

SPECCY forum fellas!
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:05 pm Mudhoney and Cyndi Lauper should do a mash up.

Girls just wanna touch me I'm sick (Sonic Youth did a good cover of Touch Me I'm Sick too).
I make mashups and play them on the radio (see my sig), I'll add that to the list.
R-Tape wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:09 pm SPECCY forum fellas!
In a vague attempt to get back on topic, I always thought the theme tune to Equinox (the Mikro-Gen game, not the TV programme or the SC poster) sounded a bit like Enola Gay. Same sequence of chords, anyway.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

I guess I am getting WoS off topic forum withdrawal symptoms since I still can't change my email address or anything :(

Seems strange not to have an off topic forum, especially since WoS is probably dying on its arse if they keep things how they are at the moment. Can't be that hard to moderate surely (just immediately close politics or religion threads?).

But that is off topic as well I guess ;)

On topic: I want to use Take 5 by Dave Brubeck Quartet as music in my next game (when I get around to starting programming it again lol) but I hear they are VERY copyright strike heavy so maybe not lol ;) Not many games have music in 5/4 time (I don't think it's a goer in game unless I drop the frame rate to 25fps which I don't want to do either really)

EDIT: Although there was that Manic Miner spinoff which had both The Immigrant Song and Stairway to Heaven by Led Zep as tunes so I dunno, they are quite big on copyright strikes too

EDIT2: And when it comes to weird time signatures I was impressed by my former self when porting my song "Mutant Killer Beasties" which I wrote on an acoustic guitar before I got my first electric guitar at age 17 or so when I thought it would just be in 4/4 time but it turned out to be quite a bit more complicated than that lol ;) (Title tune for SJOE... think it has several bars of 2/4 time pre or post chorus). Must have been all that Rush I listened to at the time :)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:39 pm It's not a very good rendition of the tune
This any better? Just knocked this up!

ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

That's good but it needs the lyrical melody as well I think.

Apparently (from looking at the wiki page about the song) it was often used in the demoscene as a tune, it is catchy so I guess that's why.

And the guy who wrote it said it wasn't really making a point about nuclear bombs and stuffs he was just interested in military planes :shock:

EDIT: Although the lyrics suggests he was making a point about nuclear bombs and stuff so maybe he was lying cos 80s cold war and stuffs? Use of is mother proud of little boy and 8:15 very poignant, if that is right word. (Just checked, it is the right word lol). And it defo wasn't a gay anthem lol but many thought it was! I think you need the village people for that one ;) (who of course weren't all actually gay)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:40 pm That's good but it needs the lyrical melody as well I think.
No problem, I've extended and improved it!

ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

That's good too maybe lay off the wobbly pitch shifter thing a tad though ;)

Highway Star next then? :)

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:48 am wobbly pitch shifter thing
Which bit? Do you mean one of the parts has too much vibrato?
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Yeah I think you overdid the vibrato on the lyrical melody bit. Sounds like singer was out of tune IMO. (EDIT: If you want to use that at least fade it out quickly or something, sounds out of tune otherwise)

EDIT: He's wearing a tie and using a plectrum to play bass... he's not going to overegg the vocals is he ;)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

To my ears, the singer from OMD did have a lot of vibrato with a loose pitch. Maybe I overdid it though. I'll fix it though on my next revision!