Today I rediscovered Tasty Static...

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Cheez26
Microbot

Today I rediscovered Tasty Static...

Post by Cheez26 »

...and I got an another idea to jot down: what if Tasty Static with some additional elements of Burnin' Rubber, but it's on the Speccy.
...or maybe just a 3D Burnin' Rubber with maze-like walls. idk.

This time, I'm very unsure on how to approach this because we're dealing with either a top-down approach or a 3D graphic approach, so this one I might take a backseat on.

For those not in the know here's Tasty Static. :dance
Chelsea E., a Speccy fan from the U.S.
Also a musician and a beginning games developer.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Today I rediscovered Tasty Static...

Post by stupidget »

This looks like a similar style of game and is incredibly fast:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... urled_Tour
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

@stupidget Thanks for the recommendation; I'll check it out later.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Tricky thing with the likes of Skyroads is the raised sections. When the surface is flat, as in Trailblazer and Roger the Pangolin, it's easy to present it in a pseudo-3D appearance. If you start from an overhead 2D view, really you're just distorting the view; squeezing and stretching it so it looks like it goes into the distance, yet it's still just a 2D image. Just like the roadway in any 8-bit racing game. But as soon as you need things to appear at different levels, then you've got a problem, as then you have to consider the third dimension.

I'd love to be able to render something like that, as I've always wanted to do I,Robot in 3D on the Speccy. The best I managed was something like a flat chequerboard in three colours on the ST, but not solid 3D blocks.

You can make singular obstructions in the roadway with sprites, just like cars and trackside objects in a racing game. And even make the whole road appear to rise and fall like a hill, but to make individual chunks of the road run higher and lower is a much tougher processing task.

Anyway, have a look at Hewson's https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... Eliminator, although it's a bit shootier.
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

@Joefish Thanks for the information. I figured Skyroads or even Tasty Static might be tricky to demake; hence why I might not take part in anything in this project besides music...maybe.