Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

The best Speccy game by Future Stars: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Future Stars: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Okay, so I've got to the end of YS #19, with Dinamic having a full-page ad on the back cover, the poll for the best Dinamic game is running now and to wring the last drops out of this, I'm looking at all and any sub-brands connected to Dinamic. And there's only one - Future Stars.

I don't know what the rationale/criteria is for what becomes a Dinamic game or a Future Stars game, but it's a short-lived brand, created in 1986 and petering out the following year, with just these three games:

Ali-Bebe
Krypton Raiders
Tommy

That's the shortlist I'm going with for the poll unless someone points out any errors in it.

And yep, this ends the trawl through a mid-1987 edition of YS. I've gone through the first edition of Crash to cover some labels from 1984, the final SU to get some of the labels still around in the twilight of the commercial era. Plus some personal selections of homebrew outfits.

What to do next? Well, I've never really looked at ZX Computing, a magazine I never bought BITD (it died just before I became a Speccy owner, but I have one physical edition thanks to a work colleague), so I'm considering the first edition of that, from summer 1982 (when the Sinclair scene was pretty much 90% ZX80/ZX81, so this'll be a hunt for the nascent Speccy publishers).
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
zup
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Future Stars: discussion

Post by zup »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:22 amI don't know what the rationale/criteria is for what becomes a Dinamic game or a Future Stars game,
Future Stars was a brand created to give an opportunity to new developers before they became professional game developers.. I guess they took games normal people sent and published them, much like magazines.

The quality of those games was BELOW (and often, way below) main professional games, on par with "good" magazine games and somewhat above "average" magazine games.