Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

Escape from EXODRON

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Raoh_hokuto_shinken
Microbot

Escape from EXODRON

Post by Raoh_hokuto_shinken »

Released...

https://zarzak.itch.io/escape-from-exodron-zx-spectrum

PROCESSED
DH 13/05/24
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: Escape from EXODRON

Post by Lee Bee »

Looks good, though the cover and logo have sparked a little controversy with Juan J. Martínez.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Couldn't be some type of coincidence?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:04 pm Looks good, though the cover and logo have sparked a little controversy with Juan J. Martínez.
Yes I noticed the re-use, but it was so blatant that I assumed it was allowed! Know anything @redballoon?
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Apparently, it was done without permission. https://zarzak.itch.io/escape-from-exodron-zx-spectrum
Last edited by Lee Bee on Mon May 13, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ouch!

(should have mirrored it...)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Given the "open and free" nature of the Spectrum community and its games, this could have been an innocent mistake made in good faith, perhaps by someone quite young and naive. Though it is striking to see such heavy, uncredited borrowing from a modern game used by someone with a developer name.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:37 pm Given the "open and free" nature of the Spectrum community and its games, this could have been an innocent mistake made in good faith, perhaps by someone quite young and naive.
Yep perhaps he (incorrectly) thought it was 'fair game' the way a lot of the 90's stuff is viewed. Monty has quite a few games under his belt and I think it's a innocent mistake rather than foul play.

I've posted a suggestion - my Ai SCREEN$ from Woot last year has 3 screens that would suit the game perfectly. About 34 screens in, there are 3 screens based on spacemen. He's welcome to use them if I get a credit (they are Ai generated but I cleaned them up a bit).

EDIT - these are the screens if you're interested Monty!

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Nice images, Dave!

Reading the bio of the developer, Juan Carlos, I'm starting to suspect he is simply quite naive about these things. It seems like he made this game for his own personal amusement, for fun, and that's fine - personal projects we create for ourselves aren't bound by copyright. He just didn't seem to realise that this changes when you share a game publicly. It would be interesting to hear his thought process on this.
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

Quite fun, but a bit too heavy on the gravity, as I found towards the end of this :D

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

If needed, I would be happy to provide a new logo AND in-game AY music! :lol:
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:06 pm Reading the bio of the developer, Juan Carlos, I'm starting to suspect he is simply quite naive about these things.
Indeed, not mirroring the image was a naive mistake! :)
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Juan J. Martinez 'reidrac' says that Monty's remade loading screen from his The Return Of Traxtor videogame was used without his permission.

So it goes...
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

That one's sweet 8-)

redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

R-Tape wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:13 pm Yes I noticed the re-use, but it was so blatant that I assumed it was allowed! Know anything @redballoon?
I see...
I've just seen this and, well, this is not on at all, really. Obvs, it's Juan's game the loading screen is from, but to use it without reaching out to myself or Juan is just

Does he want us to make his game, too?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

redballoon wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:49 pm I see...

HAPPY NOW?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DVDfever wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:08 pm Quite fun, but a bit too heavy on the gravity, as I found towards the end of this :D
It's probably the heaviest takeoff inertia I've seen, but I'm starting to like it. There's a great whooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa feeling as you take off just in the nick of time when a baddy is approaching.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:53 am Image

HAPPY NOW?
Not good enough...

That's it!
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Hi followed the links that does not seem to be any way of downloading it. Have I missed something?
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

ianace wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:28 pm Hi followed the links that does not seem to be any way of downloading it. Have I missed something?
I suppose Monty is actually modifying game file and tape inlay, after what happened with game's loading screen.
roolandoo
Drutt

Post by roolandoo »

Well, we continue with other details "copied" from other games:
MojonTwins Impossamal death screen (same moving 3D effect and same number font and hub). :cry:

Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Minimum effort law applied. :(
Last edited by Neil Parsons on Tue May 14, 2024 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

roolandoo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:18 pm Well, we continue with other details "copied" from other games:
MojonTwins Impossamal death screen (same moving 3D effect and same number font and hub). :cry:
Could this be a built-in and freely usable part of the Mojon's MK1 library? The same way that a lot of churro games re-use the default graphics - so not 'copying' as such?
roolandoo
Drutt

Post by roolandoo »

@R-Tape Before writing this, I spoke with one of the MojonTwins members and I can assure you that they are not exactly happy
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

roolandoo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:15 pm @R-Tape Before writing this, I spoke with one of the MojonTwins members and I can assure you that they are not exactly happy
Ah. Oh yes I've just seen the comments.

It's a shame things are going a bit wrong here, because it's a decent game and a lot of effort has gone into the main parts of it.

Hopefully we'll see a version released that keeps everyone happy (Monty included), and we can call this an elaborate marketing exercise!