CPU not starting

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Re: CPU not starting

Post by dfzx »

Sorry to stick by rather uninformed oar in again, but...

Are you not measuring variable voltages (i.e. AC) with a digital multimeter and trying to interpret the results as DC?

If I have, say, a 3.5MHz clock signal, which swings from 0V to +5V on a duty cycle of 50%, what would I expect to see if if measured that as a DC value? I sort of assumed 2.5V, but I guess it depends on the meter?
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

In the last set of tests, the ULA is not fitted, hence there is no AC signal, the circuit is only operating in a static / DC state. This is primarily to confirm that in a static state it is working okay. It's much easier to pick up basic faults in a static state.

As to what a digital meter will show when testing a 3.5MHz signal, that is unfortunately an unknown, as the bandwidth and sampling system for the meter comes into the equation. Hence I try to avoid this kind of testing.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

1024MAK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:55 am In the last set of tests, the ULA is not fitted, hence there is no AC signal, the circuit is only operating in a static / DC state. This is primarily to confirm that in a static state it is working okay. It's much easier to pick up basic faults in a static state.
Oh yes, of course, that's why the ULA had to be removed.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Brendan1495
Drutt

Post by Brendan1495 »

Hi All,

I would like to thank you for all your help its all working now. I have got to admit I feel a bit a knob head admitting this but there nothing wrong with the clock circuit, I has spent a week trying to diagnose the problem and tonight after doing a few more tests it noticed the ULA didnt seem to be making a good connection, I removed the socket and discovered 2 bent pins so 2 pins were not making a connection, resoldered a new socket, put in the ULA and it booted up straight away.

Like I said thank you all for your help and assistance in trying to fix my stupid mistake.

Brendan
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Thank you for reporting back :D

Glad that you have found the problem and now have a working board :dance

And it’s good to confess mistakes. It allows other members to learn. You are not the first and will not be the last to suffer from bent pins...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
MustardTiger
Microbot

Post by MustardTiger »

Were the bent pins on the ULA or the socket? How were they not making a connection? the pins to the socket or the socket to the board?
Brendan1495
Drutt

Post by Brendan1495 »

MustardTiger wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:23 pm Were the bent pins on the ULA or the socket? How were they not making a connection? the pins to the socket or the socket to the board?
Bent on the Socket, socket to board
Brendan1495
Drutt

Post by Brendan1495 »

MustardTiger wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:23 pm Were the bent pins on the ULA or the socket? How were they not making a connection? the pins to the socket or the socket to the board?
Have you tried replacing the lower ram board with chips, I have to admit I couldn't get the board to work (Same one as yours) just an idea and probably wrong as I am a noob at repairing these things but getting better with the advice from the guys on the forum.

Brendan
MustardTiger
Microbot

Post by MustardTiger »

Brendan1495 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:43 pm Have you tried replacing the lower ram board with chips, I have to admit I couldn't get the board to work (Same one as yours) just an idea and probably wrong as I am a noob at repairing these things but getting better with the advice from the guys on the forum.

Brendan
I haven't but it's something I considered but I'd have to sink even more money into it. Currently I can't test any fixes as I don't have a ULA and I'm not prepared to buy another unless I find a definite fault with a component. I'm about to do the DC-DC mod fix and replace the power transistors to try get the +12v line working correctly. I hadn't focused on this before because the ram board doesn't use the 12v.
Seeing that your fix wasn't a problem with the clock filter made me realise that my fault is probably not the filter either. I'd been too focused on it before.