Guess the screen$

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Re: Guess the screen$

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Just had a go, it's not a bad game.

There is some connection between this game and the previous one. Connection might not be obvious though.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

A Day in the Life?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Nope.

Few more hints

The connection with previous game does not apply to the spectrum game, only (optionally) when you play in real life.

EDIT: I don't think it is written in BASIC (could be compiled BASIC I guess) but it does use UDGs which is a bit unfortunate because JSSpeccy runs it in 128K mode from this website so I saw a few SPECTRUM UDG cockups.

If it is Basic you can't break into it and it seems *fairly* fast I suppose.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Big hint then ;)

Since it's such a big hint you should really also explain the connection between this game and the last one :p
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Hmm thought that would have given the game away. That appears to be the only number in the game which is spelled out, so it obviously has some significance as well.

Computer seems pretty good on the high level, gave me a good pasting. I'm not that good at the game though tbh.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Probably not, but… Millionaire?
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Nope.

Obviously it's a game you don't need a Spectrum to play (if you have someone else to play with), one of my favourite games of its type for 2 people (probably the most skillful game of its type if you only have 2 people). EDIT: You can also play with 3 players, it's a bit crap though then, and there are better 3 player games of its type available. You can also play with 4 players which is apparently also very skillful, but there is a much better/more skillful 4 player game of its type.

And now I find out skilful is correct British spelling, (although skillful is listed as a variant so I will stick with that I think) skilful just looks weird lol ;)

Could do with a skunk ON/OFF option though. Most people play with skunk mode ON, but it does not know about that.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

In real life version of one of the screengrabs

No it's not the biscuit game. (But it does feature nobs!)

I don't have one of those I just work it out with a pencil ;)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Hmmm, some kind of peg solitaire game? It's not "Solitaire" though.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

It does feature pegging yes. And not that kind of pegging, naughty.

EDIT: "One of my favourite 2 player games of its type" rules out solitaire (and the other kind of pegging) of course ;)
wikipedia wrote:Points are registered as having been scored by "pegging"
So 3x FIFTEEN would of course peg 6

EDIT2: Other significant numbers: 29 (holy grail, 5555+nob), 19 (euphemism for ZERO), 31, 61, 91, 121.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

Mastermind?
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Nope. You only have 4 things in most versions of mastermind, there'd be no room for your his nob, so you wouldn't be able to peg 29!

The IRL accessory looks a bit like mastermind though but mastermind has 4 holes in a group, not 10.

EDIT: Hmm ok there is a Mastermind board with this

but I have no idea what it is used for?
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Too much clues:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... d_Cribbage

Can someone take my turn?
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Muggins for 1, you didn't explain the connection to the previous game ;)

Obviously correct though.

I'm surprised most people don't seem very familiar with the game though... it is the best (most skilful) 2 player card game IMO. For 3 players you would want to play Hearts or something and for 4 players Bridge is the best but not many people know how to play that either. 4 players is enough for Poker too.

EDIT: It's a good version, knows all the rules but it should have had a skunk/double skunk/triple skunk option as well as an option to set the match score. I'm not sure how it picks who deals first each game either, probably alternates but I usually play mugs off where the loser of previous match deals or else do the cut for deal each game. Not sure what the "official" tournament rules are for that tbh. It does know that only a 5-flush is good for the box though which most people don't know I think.

That's what annoys me about many Spectrum traditional game conversions they either get the rules wrong (not in this case - loads of Backgammon games get the rules wrong though), omit widely played optional rules (skunk rule is used in official tournament play as well), or have rules that are optional that you can't turn off (Psion backgammon automatically doubles if the starting roll is a double! But then it does make you reroll since you can't start with a double in backgammon - it shouldn't double though that's an optional rule very few people play (and never in tournaments)). I think Psion backgammon was the only backgammon game to get all the rules correct though, all the other backgammon games I played were rubbish, Psion one is good (and plays an ok game, I can still batter it in a match game most of the time on highest level though, same with Psion Scrabble, although that sometimes sneaks a win against me. It does not know about QI or ZA or ZO though which kind of nerfs it, QI is most played scrabble word lol). I don't think I've ever seen Psion backgammon change its tiles either, so it often ends up with an unplayable Q or Z at the end. The 128K version by someone else plays a much better game - beats me on the highest level over 50% of the time I would say, but is much uglier than the Psion version so play the Psion version until it gets too easy on the highest level).
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Next one then:

Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Lee Enfield Space Ace?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Nope.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Hammerfist?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

blucey wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:57 pmHammerfist?
Sorry, nope.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Prohibition?
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Slap Fight?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Not Prohibition or Slap Fight.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Some more:

Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

I thought it was Schizofrenia, when I figured out how to spell it, but it looks like it's actually from Headstart. although they are almost the same game.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Pobulous wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:18 pm I thought it was Schizofrenia, when I figured out how to spell it, but it looks like it's actually from Headstart. although they are almost the same game.
It is Headstart! Well done.