Pacman RX WIP

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Re: Pacman RX WIP

Post by StanVanman »

Lee Bee wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:46 pm I wonder if Ms. Pac-Man is on the list of future considerations?
He already said it was.
highrise wrote:initially I just wanted to implement Pacman Plus and added a few more features and I'm pretty much all-Pacced out now :) I do have Ms Pacman pencilled in to do next year maybe, as well as Crazy Otto.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Thanks, I searched the thread but didn't spot that.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

regarding timings at 60hz, the answer is... kind of. However, given that it was impossible to perfectly replicate the scale within the attributes, a perfect replica was never going to be possible. Instead I've gone for the look and feel of the arcade, with all the fun features included, i.e ghost logic, fast turning and so on. I'm much more of an emotional coder than a logical one :)
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

I found the bug in the ghost logic that was breaking the safe area. For those that are curious, the cyan ghost, Inky, has quite complex logic, which more or less works like this:

Start with Pacman's position
Step one tile in the direction pacman is facing
measure the distance between this tile and the red ghost, Blinky
use this distance to target a tile that is exactly opposite this tile in relation to the current tile (i.e same distance but with X and Y distances negated)
that's the target.

The error was caused by the first step. Instead of starting with Pacman's position, I was starting with his home square, which is in the far right corner, which as you can imagine, caused all manner of issues.

The Zip files on the itch.io page has now been updated so it should be ok now. You can still get caught in the safe zone early in the level but this also happens in the arcade.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

I tried to express in words what i think of games like this one
... but i thinks this short scene expresses my ideas much better

in other words: many people have praised your work, but i think the best thing about it is that your attention to details and your love for arcade accuracy, takes us all back to a better time in our lives when thing where more colorful, simple and fun

and i want to thank you for doing this!
:D
SpeccyKev
Dizzy

Post by SpeccyKev »

Looks and sounds pretty damn good to me!!! Nice job!