New Game - Lambs To The Slaughter

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
sludge
Dizzy

New Game - Lambs To The Slaughter

Post by sludge »

Sequel to Mutant Mushrooms, similar game play, clear each screen of sheep to progress.

Collect gems to increase firepower.

https://death-squad.itch.io/lambstotheslaughter

PROCESSED
DH 24/05/24
gabriele amore
Microbot

Re: New Game - Lambs To The Slaughter

Post by gabriele amore »

mmm I see a trend here... :D :D
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Please admins, delete this topic. Someone posted an arcade game release in a ZX spectrum forum!
That would be by responce...

The colors in the screenshot does not remind me of a spectrum game at all. You posted an arcade game!

Then I went to the itch.io page and I saw the thanks to Lee Bee and R-Tape. I thought Lee and R could bend the rules a bit...
Then I press download. I saw a .ZIP file... I wonder if it includes a win32 or win64 version of the game so I can try it with wine..
Then I downloaded the ZIP and saw it contained a TAP file... strange...
Then I run it with fuse. It run... with the same colors. But I still wasn't sure that this was a zx spectrum game. I thought it might be a SAM coupe /Next game and Fuse auto detected it and loaded it.
Then I open the TAP with the good old reliable DOS x128. It run...
Only then , I was convinced that it was a ZX game!!

Amazing! I think it is the first game (or maybe one of the very few) that I couldn't recognize that it was an actual ZX game!

Good job!

OMG! All death-squad games look like this!
sludge
Dizzy

Post by sludge »

firelord wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:57 am The colors in the screenshot does not remind me of a spectrum game at all. You posted an arcade game!

Then I went to the itch.io page and I saw the thanks to Lee Bee and R-Tape. I thought Lee and R could bend the rules a bit...
Then I press download. I saw a .ZIP file... I wonder if it includes a win32 or win64 version of the game so I can try it with wine..
Then I downloaded the ZIP and saw it contained a TAP file... strange...
Then I run it with fuse. It run... with the same colors. But I still wasn't sure that this was a zx spectrum game. I thought it might be a SAM coupe /Next game and Fuse auto detected it and loaded it.
Then I open the TAP with the good old reliable DOS x128. It run...
Only then , I was convinced that it was a ZX game!!
LOL!

I dont think there'd be many arcade machines using the Spectrum PRINT routine and UDG's for the main character.

The colours are ULA+, so there is a bit of cheating going on.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

sludge wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:46 pm The colours are ULA+, so there is a bit of cheating going on.
In x128 emulator which is DOS and VERY old the colors seem the same.
ULA+ was supported from the DOS emulator era?
sludge
Dizzy

Post by sludge »

firelord wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:23 pm In x128 emulator which is DOS and VERY old the colors seem the same.
ULA+ was supported from the DOS emulator era?
If you press '3' during the game it will toggle ULA+ on and off.

You should be able to see the difference as there are oranges, browns and greys in there.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

sludge wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:28 pm If you press '3' during the game it will toggle ULA+ on and off.

You should be able to see the difference as there are oranges, browns and greys in there.
Using fuse 1.5.7 in linux and I don't see any ULA settings and '3' doesn't change anything.
Maybe I'm running it in normal ULA. Still the whole game doesn't look spectrumish...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@firelord,

Fuse does not support ULA+. There is a list of emulators that support this if you follow the link in my footer.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

I love your sprites so much, great work! And loads of fun too; I'm slowly getting the knack of kiting the enemies around!
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

I wish all games in the '80s had been as colourful as this one, but what's with all the anti-vax stuff in it?

sludge
Dizzy

Post by sludge »

DVDfever wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:12 pm but what's with all the anti-vax stuff in it?
Its not anti-vax, its anti-mandate.
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

sludge wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:33 pm Its not anti-vax, its anti-mandate.
?
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Post by ParadigmShifter »

I think that means anti-mandatory vaccinations i.e. people should be able to turn them down? Vaccinations aren't mandatory in UK though dunno where they might be?

Sounds like they tend to hang out together though the antivax and the anti-mandate guys from what I read, so that's probably foolish of the anti-mandate guys if they do that?

I'm sure there were loads of people who didn't get vaccinated and then died though compared to number who had adverse affects to the vaccine (although it was of course rushed through the test phase of course so long term effects may be unknown I guess).

I was certainly glad I had been vaccinated when I got Covid it was pretty bad even with the vaccine, wouldn't wish it on anyone.
sludge
Dizzy

Post by sludge »

DVDfever wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:06 pm?
According to leaked WhatsApp messages, Matt Hancock, the former UK Health Secretary, wanted to “frighten the pants off everyone” to ensure compliance with the lockdown/vaccination programme.

He was going to 'deploy' a new variant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64848106

All pretty Orwellian.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Tricky one this fellas. While it's the topic of the game, I have no interest in moderating a thread on the wider topic of covid and vaccines. Can we try and stay vaguely game related to avoid the thread blowing up and getting locked.
sludge
Dizzy

Post by sludge »

R-Tape wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:59 am Tricky one this fellas. While it's the topic of the game, I have no interest in moderating a thread on the wider topic of covid and vaccines. Can we try and stay vaguely game related to avoid the thread blowing up and getting locked.
Covid isnt actually the topic of the game, its about people in positions of power abusing that power.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Maybe so, but I think @R-Tape's message is about trying not to talk about this stuff here because most (?) of us treat these forums as a form of getaway from such topics.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

That's a great blast.
Those red and blue ghost nasties can be a pain when they all gather together and block the last sheep.
Brillaint music and grapics. More please!
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

sludge wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:19 am Covid isnt actually the topic of the game, its about people in positions of power abusing that power.
That doesn't come across at all. Just feels the programmer having an issue with vaccines etc. I know the mods don't want a big discussion about that, but that's just my two cents, as it were. Or 0.015707566 GBP.

I already know what a bunch of donuts our 'leaders' are.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

Absolutely amazing-looking game, but... it's not difficult, is it? It took me about 40 seconds to work out where my character was and I still wasn't dead :lol:
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Out of context, the game's intro may well look like an "anti-vax" message. Though from my perspective (as a minor contributor), the theme is just fun, light-hearted satire endorsing critical thinking and diversity of opinion. I myself have no strong feelings on the vaccine (I took it), the only thing I found alarming is how mere discussion of the issue was suppressed by the media and big tech. This game is a little 'kickback' against that; not necessarily endorsing one view, only endorsing freedom of thought and personal liberty, in the face of oppression.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Satire is fine, but you have to tread carefully especially if it involved a lot of death I think.

My next columns game (still in progress but very slowly lol) is all based on psychic woo-woo stuff so a gentle ribbing of that is in order (biorhythms, horoscopes, scientists only make bombs, etc.) but I am totally avoiding any woo-woo religions (especially Scientology lol). Paganism is off the cards too many people take that seriously.

Best way to deal with a bad government is to vote them out and encourage others to do the same of course. Maybe not the best, but I think pitchforks and guillotines would probably not work :(

I even avoided politics in my joke band when I was 17 cos controversy and stuff (most songs were about thrash metal style stuff or about foodstuffs also in a punk/thrash style so very silly). Singer wrote a song about McDonald's and although I probably agreed I thought it was too controversial to be used.

I think politics should stay out of retro gaming unless that's your only point to the game I think.

I've not played the game from the OP post they do great graphics though and I would like to collab in the future at some point (unless I'm too old and dead by then lol). Need to perfect my engine of course and all this drinking and playing speccy games instead of coding does not help lol ;) I think a boulder dash game with those sort of graphics and a decent engine would be good anyway.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:17 am I think politics should stay out of retro gaming unless that's your only point to the game I think.
When people wants to talk about their own politics, they will grab any straw they find. It doesn't matter what you make of it.

Lots of old games were about politics, like Manic Miner, for example. We never had any problems with all of them.

Actually, I'd say that if you want to make a political message, then make a game out of it. At least you have spent considerable time on it.

Random armchair commenters trying to milk a political comment on anything you make? I'm sorry I don't have time for you, I'd rather play a game instead.

=========

Nice game, by the way!

Looks brilliant, and sometimes I wish I can draw graphics like that!
sludge
Dizzy

Post by sludge »

There is no politics being pushed by this game, there is no anti-vax agenda either.

The underlying theme is how the establishment bullies, coerces and guilt trips people and how people swallow it without question.
sludge
Dizzy

Post by sludge »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:06 am Out of context, the game's intro may well look like an "anti-vax" message. Though from my perspective (as a minor contributor), the theme is just fun, light-hearted satire endorsing critical thinking and diversity of opinion. I myself have no strong feelings on the vaccine (I took it), the only thing I found alarming is how mere discussion of the issue was suppressed by the media and big tech. This game is a little 'kickback' against that; not necessarily endorsing one view, only endorsing freedom of thought and personal liberty, in the face of oppression.
You've nailed it.