Cheats text and .pok files

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Cheats text and .pok files

Post by XoRRoX »

Hi all,

Is there already a place somewhere in the forum where one can open (potentially collaborative) threads about cheats, finally resulting in text and .pok files that can be added to the ZXDB?

.pok files are now even more interesting because Bob Fossil's Browse NMI browser also supports them.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Cheats text and .pok files

Post by Ralf »

If you want to discuss some pokes for the games just do it in the games forum.

Also if you want to submit some pokes, the traditional place for it is Tipshop: https://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
Recently it became a bit quiet there but it's not abandoned and you can make things hectic there again anytime ;)
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Yes, recently I've posted to the TipShop.

But I'm thinking more of a sub-forum where people can create a thread per game. People who discover pokes can exchange ideas about which ones they discovered or challenge each other, and people can post requests.

Results will be posted in both a text file and .pok file which can then be added by an admin to the ZXDB so they will be visible on the game's page under files. And separately to the TipShop.
Xela
Dizzy

Post by Xela »

You can grab all (ok, maybe no ALL) pokes from TipShop from here - https://github.com/ladyeklipse/all-tipshop-pokes
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Since we mention AGD, there are specific POKES for each AGD clone for lives/timer etc.
I did a script last year to scan all my new spectrum files (HEX scan) if they contain the letters AGD and auto-generate POK files for them.
So far only the ZXUno browser *from what you mention) and DOS SGD support automatic use of POK files . I mean programs that act like frontends and then open the file using the POK.
ANDREWRYALS
Microbot

Post by ANDREWRYALS »

Things went a bit quite on Tipshop.co.uk but I managed to produce quite a few new pokes for some of the newer games released this year. Not sure how many games I've done this year, but probably 30ish. It's just trying to find time, life has a sh*t way of taking over!