New Zenobi Text Adventure

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

New Zenobi Text Adventure

Post by 8BitAG »

John Wilson's latest Adventuron text adventure game, 'Ramsbottom Smith and the Quest for the Yellow Spheroid', has been converted to the ZX Spectrum and can be downloaded from his website... the first new John Wilson-authored Zenobi Software Speccy release for almost thirty years.

See...

http://www.zenobi.co.uk/2018/09/first-i ... years.html

...for details and to download it.

It's an interesting twist on the one room adventure genre.

Hints: EXAMINE and SEARCH aren't the same things. You've only got one chance with something connected to the ottoman.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New Zenobi Text Adventure

Post by R-Tape »

Very cool. I don't think I've played a single room text adventure before. It reminds me a bit of the Demon's Tomb prologue on the Amiga, where you have to make sure you prepare everything you can to make the second part possible.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Had a go at this earlier and it's quite good, I was expecting a little more interactivity though. It's a bit like those Fighting Fantasy gamebooks where you can get all the way to the end, only then to discover that you've missed an essential item from back at the start. I spent ages looking for a particular object (not the one hinted at!) without realising that it had become inaccessible.
Spoiler
How are you supposed to avoid falling off the bridge after it breaks? I searched everywhere but couldn't find anything else that could help.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Well, John Wilson was well known for his one room adventures, having popularised the format with the Behind Closed Doors series. :)

The game is based on an idea John had thirty years ago, for a twist on the one room format, so the lack of interactivity after the initial section is completely by design. I kept telling him that the passport puzzle was too cruel... I got stuck on that bit myself when I first played the Adventuron version of the game.

If you're stuck at the bridge then you're missing a vital bit of Indiana Jones-style equipment.
Spoiler
ROOD ENIMAXE
I'm hoping that when I'm over seventy, as John is now, that I'll still be interested in creating new games. (And capable of doing it too!)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.