Playstation Classic announced

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Playstation Classic announced

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Inevitable. Sony has announced today the new Playstation Classic to be released in 3rd december. 20 games included, confirmed: Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3 and Wild Arms.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explo ... n-classic/

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2h8LDq_oI[/media]

To psx experts: as to those games confirmed, are they worth playing? Which other games might be included?
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Re: Playstation Classic announced

Post by MatGubbins »

If it includes Crash Team Racing (4 players), WipeOut (with link), WipeOut 3 Special Edition (with all the original music) then it might be worth a punt. Otherwise I'll be sticking with my PS2, original discs, ISOs and an emulator on the PC.
Fighting/beat 'em ups games don't float my boat.
Good luck to the system though.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Tekken 3 is ace but Ridge Racer Type 4? With no analogue sticks? Rage Racer would have been by far the better choice. Actually, the lack of analogue controls limits the games that will be any good. No Ape Escape, Gran Turismo would suck, and Rapid Racer, G-Police, Colony Wars would be pointless.

Wild Arms and FFVII? If EU and US get the same game list as Japan and it's going to be padded with tedious and irritating RANDOM BATTLE!!!!! JRPGs then it's really going to look a poor deal.

Crash Team Racing would be ace but would need 2 more controller ports.

Be good if they sold extra controllers as they originals are very good and would provide another source of hackable ones to turn into 9-pin joysticks.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Looks pretty neat, but if it's not easy access to a massive library of games then I'll pass. Having said that, if it only had Einhänder, R-Type Delta and Tekken 2 then I'd be using my left hand to wrestle my right off the 'buy now' button this December*.

I can't tell from the site: how are new games likely to be loaded into this?

*I need to save my money for a second A-Bike.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

If it's hackable like the NES and SNES mini's were then this will be a must have item.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The whole list of games confirmed:

https://youtu.be/88ACUOvfDEw
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Surprised Tomb Raider isn't on there, guess they couldn't get permission for it.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Japanese version has Parasite Eve included. I loved that game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/plays ... 0-6462861/

It's a shame that the system does not have internet access so you could buy games to add to it. Heres hoping that the first iterations will he hackable. :D
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Back to the emulator on the PC or bung my original discs in the PS2. There's nothing in that bundle of games to make me put my hand in my pocket and pull out my wallet and buy it.
Ben playing Wipeout 3SE on emulation for the first time in years, starting from the very beginning. Damn, some of those race tracks are a bitch to beat.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Wipeout and Rollcage were stunning games on the PS1. They really were games of their time, packed full of classic dance tunes and just 'balls to the wall' fun.

I'm hoping that GRIP will be a good current gen version of Rollcage

https://www.ign.com/videos/2018/10/09/g ... ht-trailer
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

As much as I enjoyed some of the more arcadey adventures (FFVII, MGS), I doubt I'd play them again. Would be tempted to play the more arcadey offerings, but I don't think I'd fork out for it.
beanz wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:53 pm Surprised Tomb Raider isn't on there, guess they couldn't get permission for it.
Yeah, an iconic PS1 game for me.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

The only PlayStation exclusive (i.e. not available on PC as well) game I cared about was Silent Hill. Which I played on PC by means of ePSXe :lol:
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

So from what I've seen it's going to be using an open source emulator in a custom box...You're basically paying $100 for the fancy box then.

Having said that the C64 mini is basically that and I love that little thing. It also might mean it will be fairly easy to hack/add the ability to load in other PS games.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

You are right [mention]beanz[/mention]

It's apparently going to used the ARM based PCSX ReARMed open source emulator.

You can run the same emulator with a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... ystation-1
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago from Walmart for $59.99. Wasn't going to after reading up (and seeing on youtube) the "complaints" about it but then it was hacked...if you can call it that. Got a 64gb usb drive and got an image with 104 playstation games on it, so it's a great bit of kit now. Sure already have a pi with this stuff on but you can never have enough tech crap laying around the house...right?