Super Serif Bros

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
rogual
Drutt

Super Serif Bros

Post by rogual »

Hi, I'd like to share my first ZX Spectrum release: Super Serif Bros!

Features!
  • ASCII graphics
  • No colour or sound
How to play!
  • QAOP to move, R to restart
  • Collect all the £ to open the exit
  • You die if you fall off the level or touch something deadly
ASCII graphics weren't much of a thing on the Speccy, but I wanted to do something I knew I would finish, and not having any graphics at all helped a lot with that.

More info & download: http://foon.uk/ssb-spectrum/
Direct link to .tap file (14K): http://foon.uk/ssb-spectrum/ssb.tap
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Super Serif Bros

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hey, that’s pretty neat! Love the idea. Especially love the choice of Garamond.
14K, though—that’s pretty hefty. What did you use to code this?
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
rogual
Drutt

Post by rogual »

Thanks! I do like that font.

I wrote all the code in assembly and it's quite small — most of the file size is the levels. They weigh in at about 12K because they're just full 32x24 screens of ASCII characters stored uncompressed. I figured there wasn't much point being any cleverer than that as long as it all still fit on a 48k Spectrum. I'm sure even the stupidest RLE would do great things to that file size (but of course would also make the levels load more slowly).
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

rogual wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:16 pm I wrote all the code in assembly and it's quite small — most of the file size is the levels.
Oh, I see. Some simple RLE decoding can be very, very quick, actually. You could have just two algorithms—one for spaces and one for the “#” signs, and then manually chose which one to use (or whether to use both) for each level.

I use it for relatively large graphics, and it can be pretty snappy if optimized well.

Still, a great game! Had a few more goes at it, but I suck at QAOP games, unfortunately. I’m a 67890 (Sinclair joystick) guy.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Top stuff! We hardly see this kind of game anymore, so it feels especially fresh.

Congrats on your first Speccy release.

(Sending you a PM by the way)
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

14k? I'm not downloading that!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Love the idea. It opens a whole world of posibilities!
Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:43 pm Had a few more goes at it, but I suck at QAOP games, unfortunately. I’m a 67890 (Sinclair joystick) guy.
Wow! That's weird! :lol:
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Great game! Haven't played the original but it's certainly a new idea on the Spectrum. And for 2K of code there's a lot of different mechanics in there.

That final screen though... I had to load a single snapshot because I accidentally fell down after escaping! Arrghh!

If you got RLE working then I'm sure it could work well as a ZX81 game ;)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 am Love the idea. It opens a whole world of posibilities!
Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:43 pm Had a few more goes at it, but I suck at QAOP games, unfortunately. I’m a 67890 (Sinclair joystick) guy.
Wow! That's weird! :lol:
Heh. I know. Back in the day, I didn’t have a joystick interface. QAOP didn’t stick with me, but through trial and error I figured out that if I selected the Sinclair Joystick/Interface II option, the controls were mapped to the number keys. The Spectrum was my first computer, so I hadn’t developed any preferences for game control.

To this day, even in modern games on modern platforms, I’ve been redefining controls to 67890. My fingers naturally gravitate to that position. I could very well be the only person on the planet with that particular quirk. :D

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

A very entertaining game. Thanks for releasing it.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Instead of RLE, if I was using BASIC I'd store the levels as a series of lines or rectangles to be plotted.
That way you can still edit the data by hand but it usually works out much smaller than a screen's worth of bytes.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Very cool game!
I'm loving 'discovering' the rules!