Unhallowed - a spooky text adventure for Halloween

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
stupidget
Manic Miner

Re: Unhallowed - a spooky text adventure for Halloween

Post by stupidget » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm trying to get this game to work on my +2 via my DivMMC, but, it keeps saying 'out of memory.' All other 128k games, such as Gandlaf Deluxe, work fine.

Anybody else managed to get this game game to work via a DivMMC?
0 x

Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:23 pm

I've seen another DivMMC user complaining of the same thing, but I'm not sure why this would be because I'm not familiar with the hardware. It sounds like it's loading in 48K mode for some reason (you can get the same effect in an emulator by selecting a 128K machine but going to 48K before loading) but I dunno what influences that.

What I do know is that the other chap managed to get it going by making a snapshot of the game in an emulator and loading that on the DivMMC instead of the TAP file. If all else fails that might work for you too.
0 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:28 pm

Presumably you have a regular +2 rather than a +2A or +2B?
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:50 pm

DivMMCs and DivIDEs boot 128K Spectrums in USR0 mode, and under that, the adventure will always return an Out of memory error, presumably due to PAW's way of storing data across memory banks. This also happens with other PAW-authored 128K-only titles (e.g. Monster, Grimalkin The Cat).

To load them in 128 BASIC you could employ Velesoft's 128 BASIC Z80 snapshots for DivIDE. I cannot test them right now (I am not home) so download them and see what happens.

Copy the three Z80 files on the interface's memory card. Enter the interface's menu. Select the game tape file by highlighting it and press T, then run one of the three Z80 files according to your machine. The game should load automatically.
1 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Well butter my baps, that worked perfectly. loaded it up, took a Snapshot and it loads as normal now. Cheers
1 x

Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Thank you, Alessandro - would you mind if I adapted your post into a section in the documentation? With credit given, of course. :)
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:07 pm

stupidget wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:24 pm
Well butter my baps, that worked perfectly. loaded it up, took a Snapshot and it loads as normal now. Cheers
Great! I am glad to know that :D
Blerkotron wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 pm
Thank you, Alessandro - would you mind if I adapted your post into a section in the documentation? With credit given, of course. :)
Sure I wouldn't! Go for it. ;)
0 x

WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Playing it.
0 x

Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 pm

I just posted a quick update (1.01) which fixes a few typos and adds some new messages based on difficulties I saw people having with a few of the puzzles. There is also an updated HTML version which uses some of the more advanced features of Adventuron!

More details here:
https://blerkotron.itch.io/unhallowed/d ... 1-released
1 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi @Blerkotron, here's an update to the fix. This should work under all circumstances (tested by myself with ESXDOS 0.8.6).

1. Download Velesoft's .Z80 snapshot pack from the above link and copy them to your CF/SD card.
2. Press the NMI button on your interface, then select the UNHALLOWED.TAP file and press I.
3. While still in the interface menu, select one of the three snapshot according to the Spectrum model you are using and press ENTER.
4. The game will load and run as normal.

Optionally, before copying Velesoft's snapshots to your card you can rename them to 128.Z80, PLUS2.Z80 and PLUS2A.Z80 to better distinguish them in the file menu, because ESXDOS has no long name file support at this time and will truncate their names.
1 x