New Upload & Edit Facility

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

New Upload & Edit Facility

Post by PeterJ »

As part of of the forums first birthday celebrations we are launching a new online system to allow the submission of requests for changes to ZXDB and adding of new titles.

We are extremely grateful to [mention]Mike Davies[/mention] who developed this for us during his limited spare time. Thanks also to [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] for providing ZXDB related support.

The system is currently on test, so we would like you to try it out and see how you get on. Changes requested during the testing phase won't be actioned. For now continue requesting changes by either dropping us an email or using the little bugs in the database thread.

The URL is as follows (You must be logged into the forum to access the page - The system records the name of the user who requested the change):

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/

Start by clicking the 'Start new edit' button. The rest should be self-explanatory.

One of my favorite features is the predictive search when you start typing in the name of a game to edit. Just to note that this is case sensitive.

Once you have requested a change and saved it you can login again and view the changes that you have requested.

Let us know how you get on.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: New Upload & Edit Facility

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Pretty cool! Will have to wrap my head around it. (For example, I’m not certain how to submit updates. Do I alway have to fill out every field or is the implication that the fields left blank are meant to remain unchanged?)

Time will only tell if this gets abused, but it’s certainly a great idea.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention],

Yes only record the fields you want changed. We are hoping that recording the user against each edit will help minimise the second point you raised.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Cool! That makes sense.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Great idea. Easy to use.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Nice. Some quick feedback:

1. I can't upload amendments to existing entries without attaching a file. The following error messages appear at the bottom of the form:

Notice: Undefined index: fileExt in /var/www/zxdb-edit/src/ZxdbEdit/EntryForm.php on line 301

Notice: Undefined index: fileExt in /var/www/zxdb-edit/src/ZxdbEdit/EntryForm.php on line 431

2. The menu button in the top right appears as just a grey rectangle.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you [mention]Rorthron[/mention]. I'm sure [mention]Mike Davies[/mention] will look at these issues when he can.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

I have tried to upload one missing Czech game - Transfer.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/en ... 72a3dde50d

I added four files - TAP+TZX+2xSCR, but only the last one was uploaded I guess. ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the feedback [mention]pavero[/mention] we will check this out.

During this testing phase can you continue to post on the forum about new MIA?

Many thanks

Peter
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Never mind, I have upload those missing files again. ;-)

BTW, this duplicit record from [mention]solaris104[/mention] can be deleted...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/en ... 7316394fb2
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Excellent! Thanks for the hard work, this database is getting better and better!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Ok, first question. If I want to remove a game from a group, for example, I want to remove https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2778 from "vector graphics" group, how I must proceed? Seems to me that a "no group" option should be present at the top? Or a checkbox?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Another thing. Seems that it is required to upload a file, even when you're only editing an entry.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 pm Ok, first question. If I want to remove a game from a group, for example, I want to remove https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2778 from "vector graphics" group, how I must proceed? Seems to me that a "no group" option should be present at the top? Or a checkbox?
Now you can only add or edit, not remove anything. :)
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

Hi Rorthron, thanks for the feedback.
Rorthron wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm 1. I can't upload amendments to existing entries without attaching a file. The following error messages appear at the bottom of the form:

Notice: Undefined index: fileExt in /var/www/zxdb-edit/src/ZxdbEdit/EntryForm.php on line 301

Notice: Undefined index: fileExt in /var/www/zxdb-edit/src/ZxdbEdit/EntryForm.php on line 431
Ah, amendments to an existing entry files, that's something I didn't anticipate. I've added a fix that allows that now, so it should work now.
Rorthron wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm 2. The menu button in the top right appears as just a grey rectangle.
To help me replicate, can you post a screenshot along with the browser/OS you are using? Probably something CSS related.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:01 pm Another thing. Seems that it is required to upload a file, even when you're only editing an entry.
That's what Rorthron reported earlier too, and should now be fixed.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

pavero wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:22 pm I have tried to upload one missing Czech game - Transfer.

I added four files - TAP+TZX+2xSCR, but only the last one was uploaded I guess. ;)
Thanks for the bug report. I'll look into it. Not sure what's causing that yet.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

pavero wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:48 pm
druellan wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 pm Ok, first question. If I want to remove a game from a group, for example, I want to remove https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2778 from "vector graphics" group, how I must proceed? Seems to me that a "no group" option should be present at the top? Or a checkbox?
Now you can only add or edit, not remove anything. :)
I'd suggest making a note of such corrections using the Comments box in the "General" section for now for anything that can't be handled by the current editing form.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Mike Davies wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:26 pm
Rorthron wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm 2. The menu button in the top right appears as just a grey rectangle.
To help me replicate, can you post a screenshot along with the browser/OS you are using? Probably something CSS related.
It's Chrome 70.0.3538.80 for Android 8.0.0. I'll try to post an image. I'll also try testing it on a PC.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

It's the same on Firefox 63.0 2 and Edge 42.0.0.2741 for Android 8.0.0
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Mike Davies wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:32 pm
pavero wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:22 pm I have tried to upload one missing Czech game - Transfer.

Thanks for the bug report. I'll look into it. Not sure what's causing that yet.
At first I selected all four files one by one. And after then I pressed Save button.

If I press Save button after every file separatelly all works fine.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Mike Davies wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:26 pm
I can't take a screen shot, but it's as I described: the usual menu button, minus the three horizontal white lines.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Evening [mention]Mike Davies[/mention]

I think [mention]Rorthron[/mention] is referring to this on the edit page:

Compared to this on the website home page:

It only happens on mobile view. Even though it is missing the horizontal lines I still find it functions fine and brings up the menu items when you click on it. At least in Google Chrome mobile.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 pm Evening @Mike Davies

I think @Rorthron is referring to this on the edit page:

Compared to this on the website home page:

It only happens on mobile view. Even though it is missing the horizontal lines I still find it functions fine and brings up the menu items when you click on it. At least in Google Chrome mobile.
Yes, that's it. It's pretty minor.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi! I'm going to try and start adding the Vector Graphics games changes (viewtopic.php?p=13332#p13332). There are a lot of games that are miscategorized as vector, so, in that case, since I can't remove title from a group, I'm going to leave a comment.