Old Tower

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Old Tower

Post by DenisGrachev »

Here we go, mates!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rHJEpqoH3A[/media]

Old Tower is a multicolor scroller for zx spectrum.
You play as a little explorer in a tower full of deadly traps and bats.
Your only weapons to help you win: quick-thinking and skill.

Game works on all classic models 48k\128k\+2\+3 and russian Pentagon clone.

P.S: For a best sound experience turn an AY chip to ABC stereo mode!

Grab your copy at http://www.retrosouls.net or use adirect link http://www.retrosouls.net/zx/ot.zip

A tank of thanks to all of you, mates and long live speccy :)

See ya!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Old Tower

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Absolutely brilliant!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Just having a go at it. Another great puzzle/platform from Denis, with the typical elements of his signature style - clean and effective screen design, small sprites, two-character action etc. And the multicolor scrolling is really impressive. Well done :D
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Excellent! Thanks for including a 48k version as well!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Great game!

It's not only multicolor for multicolor's sake but the game has actually good and original gameplay, not seen on Spectrum before. Some inspirations from classic Snake game are obvious but there's much, much more inside it.

The multicolor works really smoothly, at moments you actually forget that it's some very advanced code, it feels so natural ;)

What else to add? You make cool games Denis, please don't stop ;)
blueowl0708
Drutt

Post by blueowl0708 »

Holy crap!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

A great game indeed, smooth scrolling with colour, music and a lot of head scratching puzzles.
All solved and completed with a score of 3785. Can we please have more levels to crack?
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Amazing game with great graphics, sound and some of the smoothest scrolling I've seen.

The only trouble I've run into so far is that it isn't really clear you can only change characters if they're oriented in certain directions (not facing the other one). I experienced a reset after finishing one of the levels in the second section, with one life remaining, but I haven't tried to reproduce it. The right wall bug is still there as well but I wouldn't worry about that.

Otherwise, this is really good and I can't wait to finish it!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Just one word - fantastic!
Thank you Denis, you really did a great job. :)
DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Post by DenisGrachev »

A tank of thanks to all of you Mates! :)
Ersh wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:07 pm Excellent! Thanks for including a 48k version as well!
That was an one of the main aims to show that even rubby 48k is enough!
MatGubbins wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:56 pm A great game indeed, smooth scrolling with colour, music and a lot of head scratching puzzles.
All solved and completed with a score of 3785. Can we please have more levels to crack?
Sorry Mat, there is a something about 100 bytes left and i wanna to fit it to 48k.
djnzx48 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 am Amazing game with great graphics, sound and some of the smoothest scrolling I've seen.

The only trouble I've run into so far is that it isn't really clear you can only change characters if they're oriented in certain directions (not facing the other one). I experienced a reset after finishing one of the levels in the second section, with one life remaining, but I haven't tried to reproduce it. The right wall bug is still there as well but I wouldn't worry about that.

Otherwise, this is really good and I can't wait to finish it!
Oh, that bug. I'll try to fix it ASAP but right now i need a lot if sleep since i spend all my free time for last 4 weeks for this one!
Also if heroes stands one of other they can't switch you right, since there is potencialy situation when one of them will stand in air :)
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

djnzx48 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 am I experienced a reset after finishing one of the levels in the second section, with one life remaining, but I haven't tried to reproduce it.
I had the 128k version corrupt upon the start of level 11. The outer blue walls (not part of the game) were ok, but the game area was a random pile of flashing attributes. I was using EmuZWin, a quick tap of ALT+left cursor and step back 2 seconds before the corruption, and the game moved to level 11 perfectly.

-Edit- added picture because the crash happened again
- I can also email a z80 of the file -

How about Old Tower 2.... we've found another tower! Scores are based on how quick each level is completed, taking chances with the enemy and thinking fast.

A big thank you for the 48k version, music, sound and colour too.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

The crash I got might have been something different, but I wasn't counting levels. Here's an RZX of it occurring if it helps:
OldTowerCrash.rzx

EDIT: The crash occurs because of a LD (BC), A instruction at $FBD4 that takes out the interrupt handler when BC == $BFBF. I think the LD (BC), A is put there by some other code, but I have not found out what yet.
DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Post by DenisGrachev »

djnzx48 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:37 am The crash I got might have been something different, but I wasn't counting levels. Here's an RZX of it occurring if it helps:
OldTowerCrash.rzx

EDIT: The crash occurs because of a LD (BC), A instruction at $FBD4 that takes out the interrupt handler when BC == $BFBF. I think the LD (BC), A is put there by some other code, but I have not found out what yet.
Thanks for rzx,quick looks like i found a problem with a switch music for new world proc, quick poke ret to 62AD and it works ok. Upload new version by the same links, need to test
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Great work Denis! A nice puzzler in your distinctive style.
Spoiler
Infy lives:
48K version POKE 25054,0
128K version POKE 25060,0
Pentagon POKE 25250,0
A multicolour vertical shmup is inevitable surely.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

If you turn the TV/monitor sideways you could get a nice horizontal scroller.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Loaded Old Tower onto my +2 Grey last night via tape. 10 minutes later, loaded!
Pure fun, colourful and exciting on a LCD TV with RGB lead. 10 minutes later, completed with 1 life lost on pesky level 13.
Played again to admire the scrolling graphics and colours.

If this game was released back in 1988 would the magazine reviewers notice the scrolling colours and graphics or would they moan about the small graphics and small game play area?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MatGubbins wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:54 pm Loaded Old Tower onto my +2 Grey last night via tape. 10 minutes later, loaded!
That’s a shame. Not to worry, though, [mention]MatGubbins[/mention] (and the rest of us, who want to use the original hardware but do not own—or fancy—a DivIDE/DivMMC or similar interface). I equipped both versions with my turbo loader, so the 128K one loads in under three minutes, and the 48K one in less than a minute and a half.

Old Tower (Turbo Loader)

(Needs thorough testing, since I couldn’t be bothered to play the entire game through. :D )

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Thanks for the WAV files, I've had trouble with them though.

This is for the 128K version (I've not tried the 48K version)
I added an extra 3 seconds to the tone to the BASIC header program so that a real Spectrum can grasp the idea of something loading.

Then added an extra 1 second gap between the end of the BASIC data and the turbo loader tone so that it had enough time to get the machine code up and running.

Then added an extra 1 second gap after the screen picture data and the rest of the turbo data.

Before doing the modifications it was a hit and miss on getting the BASIC header into the Spectrum. When it did work I had to rewind the media player to the start of the turbo loader and play again.

They do work, just needed a bit of tweeking.

As to the game itself, the levels, music and code seem to work fine, completed and messed around with a few levels doing a speed run.
That is a fast turbo loader!!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MatGubbins wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 pm They do work, just needed a bit of tweeking.

As to the game itself, the levels, music and code seem to work fine, completed and messed around with a few levels doing a speed run.
That is a fast turbo loader!!
Thanks, Mat!

This is interesting, as they work perfectly on both my Toastrack and my +2A. How do you load WAV files into your machine? Also, have you tried converting the TZX files (the way you’d normally do it)? I use Tapir to play them back, but WAV files work fine as well. I tried it hundreds of times back when I was developing the loader with the computer and the phone as the source, varying the volume, etc.

P.S. The loader is self-recovering, by the way. If a particular block fails to load, you can just rewind to its beginning a reload. You can even rewind to the beginning of the tape, as it won’t load the wrong block.

P.P.S. Your picture suggests that you only added extra gaps between the loader and the loading screen, and the loader and the rest of the data. I assume you didn’t have to add gaps to the remaining blocks (there are quite a few).

P.P.P.S. A though occurs. You have a +2, right, not a +2A? In that case, how do you feed audio into it—via a cassette adaptor or an input jack mod? If it’s the latter, and the mod is a simple jumper to the ULA’s input, it might present two problems. One is that the +2 circuitry lacks a diode to ground that cuts off negative signals and a series capacitor to remove any DC offset before it. The ULA generally doesn’t take kindly to negative voltages on its EAR input; it may even get damaged. The other problem is that the signal may not always be strong enough (it’s effectively halved). Try editing my original WAV file and introducing a positive DC bias so that the signal doesn’t go below zero (well, occasional peaks are fine), and see if that makes a difference.

What I find strange is that your +2 didn’t like the slightly shorter pilot of the BASIC loader. There are a few commercial Spectrum games that use even shorter pilots, so that technically should not present a problem.

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I'm using a +2 Grey with a cassette adaptor connected to my laptop to the sound out port. This has been the usual way of loading all the homebrew games for the last few years and it's rare to have a loading problem.

The (powered from the wall) laptop is using XP and I have both the Master volume and WAV output controls to just under max to get games to load. I can mess around with the WAV output if things go a little strange. I use windows media player to play the WAV file. No screen savers, no messing around with the computer when a game is loading, just like old times to sit back and do some school homework)

I didn't add gaps between the extra blocks of code, but after a few more attempts at loading the game after the last posting it did fail when loading one of the later blocks of code - so it might need a slightly longer gap between each block than is already there, not as much as 1 second but something to give the Spectrum a breather between loading and thinking again.

The header tone was hit and miss, as soon as an extra few seconds were added (cut and past the correct 3 tones in) then the Spectrum would grab it 100%

I use SoundForge to edit the WAV files, this is my main weapon of choice for many many years for music and it's great for close-up editing.

Sorry to Denis for hijacking the turbo loading of the game in this thread, but it's also promoting the game for those that didn't see it the first time around. If you've already played the game, give it another go and enjoy the experience, the scrolling, colours and music... Yay!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Ah, I think I've found the solution.

I converted your turbo .TZX file with Tape2Wav 1.8 (I use this prgram for all .TAP to .WAV conversions and play the .WAV file in media player to the Spectrum) and found that it creates a .WAV file that is louder than Tapir.
I didn't need to add any extras to the header or gaps between the code blocks.

As per the screenshot

I also boosted your original Tapir .WAV file in Soundforge to match the Tape2Wav volume and that worked too.
It looks as if Tapir is outputting a .WAV file a lot quieter than it should be.

Hopefully solved.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Logic-wise, my loader doesn’t need as much time to sync up to the pilot tone. I just tested it with even shorter pilots and everything was hunky-dory.

Looks like the problem is in the analog circuitry. I’m not sure if the problem is inherent in the design on the +2’s tape head amplifier, the cassette adaptor you’re using, or your WinAMP/laptop. It seems there’s something akin to an auto-level adjustment circuitry that kicks in with a rather long relaxation period. It doesn’t like certain amplitude changes and tries to compensate. While it’s doing that, the ULA doesn’t get much in terms of an audio signal.

Could you test the TZX files themselves? How do you normally convert them to audio? Did you have problems with, say, Bleepload-protected games?

Addendum: I just cobbled together my own cassette adaptor (found and old tape head and soldered a lead with a 3.5 mm jack to it). I then held my adaptor head against the tape head in the Datacorder of my +2A and gave my loader a few tries, playing back the audio from my phone. I even played around with the volume setting just to see if that mattered. Everything loaded on the first try; no errors. :?

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:50 pm Ah, I think I've found the solution.
Cool! Disregard my previous post then. (I had it sitting a few hours before I edited and posted it, so I didn’t see yours.)

Tapir’s output is surprisingly close to what a real Spectrum would produce, but since it’s operating entirely in a digital domain, the amplitude is limited by your device’s output voltage/impedance, which, in modern equipment, is quite skimpy, compared to that of the ’80s.

Thanks again for your time and patience!

DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Post by DenisGrachev »

Nice loader! Did you compress data or just increase loading speed?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

DenisGrachev wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:40 am Nice loader! Did you compress data or just increase loading speed?
Thanks!

I only compressed the loading screen. The rest is uncompressed but the data rate is about 3x the standard ROM loader. It’s also more compact than the ROM loader, and can load only specific data blocks. Aside from ignoring the “wrong” high-speed data blocks, I also fine tuned it to ignore the standard pilot tone or long sequences of ones and zeros, so the they wouldn’t trigger it, either. A fairly robust beast all around. ;)

I could make it even faster, but that would require testing it with real tapes (ideally of the poorer quality) and low-end tape players, to simulate a typical loading setup of the 1980s. The Spectrum’s ULA and analog filtering circuitry can handle fairly high data rates. The real bottleneck is the tape medium itself: the amplitude will drop dramatically (depending on the tape’s type and quality) as the frequency goes up. Besides, many cheap-o tape players had a cutoff frequency of about 6 kHz or even lower, so at least theoretically, my loader operates at the upper limit of what would have been possible back in the day.

A typical Type I ferric oxide tape can go up to, oh, say, 8–12 kHz. My loader peaks at about 6.3 kHz—well within the tape’s frequency range. These latest tests by Matt on his +2 and by me on my +2A demonstrate that the built-in datacorders in these machines are easily capable of loading data at the rate offered by my turbo loader. Whether the rate can be safely increased is subject to long and rigorous tests, which I’m not inclined to perform at the moment.

Still, three minutes for a fairly fat 128K game isn’t that bad, if I do say so myself. :D