g0blinish
Manic Miner

Re: Spectrum memes

Post by g0blinish »

Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Hehe. Looks like the Next's honeymoon period is over :mrgreen:
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 am Hehe. Looks like the Next's honeymoon period is over :mrgreen:
There is a slow, growing, disquiet about this project which is not being helped by the ethos currently held by the people developing it that their end goal seems to be absolute perfection rather than actual useability. The latest delays are currently centred around the need to present the keys with a high gloss sheen ignoring the fact that 30 minutes after initial use they'll be covered in fingerprints and dust and look worse than if they were a standard matte.

It's also important to remember that the actual computer PCB side of things is done, tested, supplied and in use as the boards were shipped to people who backed the board-only option in December 2017. It has taken a year - and it is still ongoing - to produce a plastic case and keyboard to put the PCB in, and a final version of the manual is still not ready as they keep adding new "features" to the OS pretty much every month.

If the delays were due to serious reasons such as a factory burning down or legal shennanigans then that's one thing but the nature of the delays, announced regularly every month, has been petty to say the least. If you have the time then have a read of the last few updates over on the Kickstarter page but a quick roundup would be along the lines of: wrong shade of red for the plastic; wrong shade of red for the logo; wrong colour for the cardboard box the PSU comes in; wrong height of main logo; wrong type of case screws; wrong thickness of keys; wrong thickness of case; some parts of the case should be smooth not matte; some parts of the case should be matte not smooth. Again it is important to say that these amendments were not due to the manufacturing process, these were all part of the original design spec that was passed to the manufacturers to produce "as is". And some of the changes (delays) involved are hard to comprehend e.g. one small red plastic flash was a single Pantone Red shade incorrect so back it went.

Unfortunately there is still no ETA for the completed units, not even a rough guess, and reading the Kickstarter comments posted after each update is achingly familiar for those who followed the Vega+ saga. It's not that I think the finished units will never show up in some form or another, quite the contrary, but it's almost as if those involved just don't want to let go, that if it's not absolutely perfect then it will all have been in vain. This would be fine if they were spending their own money but it's not, it's a finite amount raised by people who are starting to wonder what all these changes and delays and remanufacturing and replacement costs are doing to the balance raised and would be more than happy to recieve a product deemed to be merely 'excellent' rather than 'sublimely utopian.'

So yes, for some the honeymoon period is definitely over.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Bizzley wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:40 pm So yes, for some the honeymoon period is definitely over.
I lost interest the moment they revealed that the case would be matte, and nothing like the original vision that was widely spread around the net. Now it's matte with some small amount of gloss between the keys.

I was out at that point.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

ZXDunny wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:47 pm I lost interest the moment they revealed that the case would be matte, and nothing like the original vision that was widely spread around the net. Now it's matte with some small amount of gloss between the keys.

I was out at that point.
Wow, talk about being superficial. In that case you weren't part of the core-audience anyway.
Personally I don't give a toss about the finish. For me it's the features that matter.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Sokurah wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:26 am
ZXDunny wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:47 pm I lost interest the moment they revealed that the case would be matte, and nothing like the original vision that was widely spread around the net. Now it's matte with some small amount of gloss between the keys.

I was out at that point.
Wow, talk about being superficial. In that case you weren't part of the core-audience anyway.
Personally I don't give a toss about the finish. For me it's the features that matter.
News just in - "People like things that I don't!"

Film at eleven.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

g0blinish wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:57 am Image
Not sure I get this one.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

it is Russian meme's template
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:44 pm Not sure I get this one.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1096
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:44 pm Not sure I get this one.
Old Tower is a multicolour game with scrolling. One might describe it as enhanced.
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

think of "multi"colour in a 8-bit micromachine and you'll see something more in the vein of two blokes going hairy-enhanced in turkey
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Old Tower = Great pair of sin cushions + Multicolour makes it even prettier :lol:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

And turn the volume up a little more..
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

MatGubbins wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 am And turn the volume up a little more..
... or the tone level...

... or clean the tape deck heads...

... some times a pray was the last hope! :mrgreen:
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Please stop disturbing the chuntey field with your silly suggestions. :D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.