Staring at screens...

General wibble, please play nice.
Vampyre
Berk

Re: Staring at screens...

Post by Vampyre » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm

I spend 9-5.30 developing at work but tend not to do much with a computer once I'm home.

However, about 18 months ago, and it was going on for even longer if I'm honest but I was basically ignoring it, I was feeling... spaced out for want of a better word after staring at the screen for a few hours. It kept going and I was putting it down to the environment I was working in (I really started noticing it when I was moved to face a partition wall) until I mentioned it to someone, who asked me if I'd had my eyes tested recently.

Now I've always had perfect eyesight so never considered my eyesight was the problem but I booked an appointment with the optician and... bingo! Basically one of my eyes is +0.5 and the other -0.5 so whilst I was staring at the screen they were going bezerk trying to focus properly so it was small wonder I was feeling dizzy. Now wear correcting glasses and it's fixed the problem :-)
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm normally at a screen between 09:00 and 17:00 (Apart from when I'm at meetings). I'm contractor so often you will be sat in the darkest corner of an office with the oldest PC and a small 15" display! However in the current place I have dual 24" screens which makes life much easier on the eyes. (Dual screens are a revelation by the way!)

I always try and get a lunch break and go for a walk. Also make sure if I need the toilet you go to the one right at the top of the building (or furthest away). It gives the eyes a break, and adds to those steps!

At home I generally do one to two hours after dinner, and as others have said read of just chill before going to bed. Finally get your eyes tested once a year.
0 x

Morkin
Berk

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 am

I'm in front of a screen for a lot of the day most days, and play games and use my laptop in the evening. But at work I do get up very often for a coffee, water or whatever. Definitely once an hour, maybe even more frequently.

When I was young I was told it would damage my eyesight, but I think it's still OK.

Someone else told me I should get my eyes tested regularly as I hadn't had mine tested. I asked why, as I could see well enough, don't get dizzy or headache-y when reading screens or long distance signs. They said that your eyes change as you get older, but I don't get why that's a reason if you haven't encountered any problems to prompt you to do it. I guess I'm worried that the optician might say "your eyesight is bad" and then try to sell me some expensive glasses or something.
R-Tape wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:14 pm
a bit like when you tell the doctor how much you drink, 6 hours a day might be closer. I have to say I'm not envious of you 9+ hour guys.
P*sshead..! :lol:
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 am

Actually that's a thought, I am overdue an eye test.
Morkin wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 am
P*sshead..! :lol:
Ah, oops :mrgreen:

It may be 6 hours drinking but I have a strict never before 10am rule.
1 x

Morkin
Berk

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:57 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 am
It may be 6 hours drinking but I have a strict no spirits before 10am rule.
FTFY. ;)
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:47 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 am
It may be 6 hours drinking but I have a strict no spirits, apart from Ouzo, before 10am rule.
IHAFTFY. ;)
0 x

RMartins
Berk

Post by RMartins » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:18 pm

I code by profession, everyday around 8 hours in the office, plus some at home.

The best advice I can give you is LOWER LUMINOSITY (50%) and increase CONTRAST to MAXIMUM (or very near).
There even applications that control your monitor color settings to help you out on this.

If you have problems sleeping, fluorescent lights are known to impair sleep, if you use the COLD WHITE ones (5000K, almost blueish).
Use the WARM WHITE ones (3000K) instead.
https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/does-co ... fect-sleep

A study about how color temperature affects sleep
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... wave_Sleep

Light temperature effects those which have cataract-related eye problems.
https://www.pyroenergen.com/articles09/ ... ghting.htm

Having eye problems and requiring glasses is also a reason for getting sore eyes, or sometimes even making your eyes "cry".

During last year, I started to notice having difficulty to focus in near sight.

I'll probably need to get some near sight glasses, but I have been postponing a visit to the ophthalmologist, although I don't really know why.
Probably because I'm not very comfortable with the idea of having to use glasses.
0 x