Woot! ZXMAS Tape Magazine 2018

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Woot! ZXMAS Tape Magazine 2018

Post by R-Tape »

It's here!

DOWNLOAD/INFORMATION:
Woot 2018 Tape Magazine info page
Woot Bundle (everything: both sides of magazine + all submissions.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Contents (check out the links via the Woot 2018 page):
-Woot Tape Mag Side-1
-Woot Tape Mag Side-2
-2x2 Font ASM Tutorial by Ast A Moore
-Agatha Christie's Parrot+ by Joefish
-AGD Compendium by R-Tape
-Bean Brothers by R-Tape
-Buzzsaw+ (Dim Sun edition) by Joefish
-Christmas Cracker Simulator by Text Voyage
-Go-Go Bunnygun demo by Joefish
-Santa's Strange Dream by Text Voyage
-Second Skin Demo by Pedro Pimenta
-Super Moritz by Seb Braunert et al
-Varina by Espectroteam
-Your Crackers M'Lord! by Bob Fossil

I think everybody is thanked somewhere in the text, apart from the bugfinder general (AKA MatGubbins), who did a lot of playtesting on Bean Brothers (so, thanks)

Some of these should have their own thread. Let's get playing them first. Enjoy!

(NB - a 'Woot 2018' group still needs to be created, so at the moment you will not see all these games listed on the Woot page. You have the above links for now)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Re: Woot! ZXMAS Tape Magazine 2018

Post by Andre Leao »

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Yay! I mean, woot! :D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

'tis great!!!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Just noticed:

Code: Select all

2x2 Font Tutorial(version622334)
And that’s just counting the ones I sent you. :lol:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi Dave,

thank you for it all, it must have taken a great effort to put everything together :) There were some genuinely hilarious moments :lol:

And thanks to everyone else who contributed to it ;)

However, there is something wrong with the AGD book - and I am not referring to the scores :P although I believe quite a few of them could have been higher (not only those of some of my games of course ;) ). If I choose the Slideshow option, then the Keyboard again, I am stuck with Slideshow when I start the book.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

*downloading like there's no tomorrow...*
dazman100
Drutt

Post by dazman100 »

Thanks

Looking forward to this. :D
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Great stuff!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with this project, real life sucks. So this time I'll be just a consumer but next time I'd really love to be a contributor.

As for now I've read the magazine and I really like the sense of humour. In the coming days I'll be playing the games, especially Bean Brothers, I guess :)
emook
Drutt

Post by emook »

Nice collection! Great Work!
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Thanks a lot for taking the effort to bring us some Spectrum magic in Xmas!

Lots of content, very funny electronic magazine and also interesting articles. I will play the games in the next days :)

Thanks!
DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Post by DenisGrachev »

This is great! Playing Bean Broz right now, nice on, and a russian version, kudos!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Thanks everyone for another great collection! ;) The magazine is really funny, I especially enjoyed the interview.

I did notice a serious error where someone misspelled "Zythum, by Mirrorsoft" at the beginning of side 2.
Andy Green
Dizzy

Post by Andy Green »

I checked this out last night; absolutely brilliant! Loved every part of it including the pictures, jokes, articles and wealth of games included. Bean Brothers game is excellent. Congratulations to all those involved in putting Woot! together. :D :D
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oh, the stats!

pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

I really like AGD Compendium and Bean Brothers of course. :-)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for the comments all. Glad you're enjoying it.

I'm on pantry 9 of Your Crackers, and have completed Santa's Dream (I prefer the second time around when it speeds up).
Alessandro wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:11 pm However, there is something wrong with the AGD book - and I am not referring to the scores :P although I believe quite a few of them could have been higher (not only those of some of my games of course ;) ). If I choose the Slideshow option, then the Keyboard again, I am stuck with Slideshow when I start the book.
Damn. Each feature still operates as selected, but the text stating what mode it is wrong.

Looking at the scores again, I agree that many could be higher. I struggled to devise a scoring system that came up with numbers that 'felt' right. Originally it resulted with loads of games around 75%, none in the 80's, and the 3 top games at 95%. I tweaked the system and it gave this, and the issue this time is that nothing is above 90%. I decided to keep it, and hopefully people can bear in mind that 85% is 99% in some other people's money, and 62% is a very respectable score. The numbers are very misleading though: I scored Cafe Turco at 41%, but I enjoyed playing it more than some, more polished, games that scored higher.

Anyway, I'm glad I haven't been lynched by you, Gabam or any other AGD author (yet!).
DenisGrachev wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 am Playing Bean Broz right now, nice on, and a russian version, kudos!
When the name sounds as cool as "Bratya Bobi", I couldn't possibly not do one :mrgreen:
zedex82
Drutt

Post by zedex82 »

Nice job. I look forward to checking this out later.
SUPERMORITZ

Post by SUPERMORITZ »

This is so amazing. Thanks a lot, Dave.
But i am afraid, a dog, which wants to stay incognito will break some bones :lol:
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Cracked a few brain cells on Your Crackers M'Lord and solved all 32 puzzles, those jokes are ha-ha funny!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 pm Cracked a few brain cells on Your Crackers M'Lord and solved all 32 puzzles, those jokes are ha-ha funny!
[Mention]bobfossil[/mention] , I owe you a fiver: I said Mat would take less than 24 hours to complete it, you said less than 48. Dang.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 pm Cracked a few brain cells on Your Crackers M'Lord and solved all 32 puzzles, those jokes are ha-ha funny!
I've been expecting you, Mr Gubbins. I'm glad you found the jokes amusing :).

I had to trawl through quite a few 'top worst Christmas cracker jokes' lists to find them. Oh my aching sides!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 pm @bobfossil , I owe you a fiver: I said Mat would take less than 24 hours to complete it, you said less than 48. Dang.
Once you get the hang of it, most of the levels aren't too bad. The last two pantries are utter gitbags though as the last two levels in the original game were taken from expert mode. The rest are taken from normal mode.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 pm
R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 pm @bobfossil , I owe you a fiver: I said Mat would take less than 24 hours to complete it, you said less than 48. Dang.
Once you get the hang of it, most of the levels aren't too bad. The last two pantries are utter gitbags though as the last two levels in the original game were taken from expert mode. The rest are taken from normal mode.

Yes, the last two were, as you said, utter gitbags, that required a lot of shuffling, reshuffling and a little swearing. Damn good game though! Going by the saved game file times, about an hour and 10 minutes for all the levels. Sorry Dave, you're gonna be broke by the end of the week... hang on it's Friday!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I've played through the final version of Bean Brothers to refresh my distant (and very hazy) memory of the long hot month of July for bug testing the later versions of the game. There are some bugs and strange features that were reported that remain within the final version game, this is due to AGD being an utter gitbag, memory hog and the compiler crashing when it is looked at in a certain way.
So, don't try and jump through walls on certain levels, be careful of locking the characters within doors and don't feed Dave after midnight or he'll ride his A-bike over your toes and it'll bloody hurt for weeks!

It's a great game and has a lot of excellent puzzles to solve, with some levels requiring some split second timing plus a few double switch jumping. Along with the excellent graphics and AY music we have a game that tests the noodle. And it's free!