Now On Kickstarter: Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy Playing Cards

Stuff for sale or wanted, hopefully MEGA+@rare!!!, or commercial projects
EliteSystemsLtd
Drutt

Now On Kickstarter: Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy Playing Cards

Post by EliteSystemsLtd »

https://tinyurl.com/ya7anrmo

To celebrate the release of the Manic Miner® app (a limited-edition: available for 30 days or 10,000 downloads only) we’re announcing, exclusive to Kickstarter, the limited-edition collectors’ print Manic Miner® playing cards and the limited-edition collectors' print Jet Set Willy® playing cards.

Each production run of these playing cards will be tightly controlled.

Also, these playing cards will not be sold in shops; making them highly collectible.

Each deck’s face cards feature illustrations drawn from the original games’ box art.

Also, these playing cards are officially licenced; making them highly desirable.

Development of both decks is complete.

The goal of this appeal is to fund the production of 1,000 units of each deck.

Back the Kickstarter today … and look forward to playing with your Willy, even when taking a little time away from a screen.

Company Profile:

https://www.elite-systems.co.uk/elite/h ... rofile.php
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Re: Now On Kickstarter: Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy Playing Cards

Post by ZXDunny »

Any truth to this? :

You guys are getting quite the slating over on the Spectrum for Everyone FB Group at present (well, 5 days ago).
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

If this does go ahead then the usual outcome for a deck of collector's cards usually follows the same pattern:

1) Sealed cards arrive. Buyer thinks about breaking seal and opening box for a while since then they will no longer be worth as much as one that is still sealed.

2) Buyer eventually realizes that paying £10 just to stare at a a sealed cardboard box is a bit daft and opens box.

3) Buyer very gently runs through cards trying not to mark, bend or scratch them to see what's they've bought.

One of three things then happens:

a) Buyer decides to keep cards, put them in their collection and pities the fools who haven't got such a valuable collector's item.
b) Buyer decides to sell cards on eBay and sees that quite a few other people are doing so including those who bought several packs just to make a profit. These are sealed, theirs isn't.
c) Buyer decides to treat them as ordinary deck of cards, plays a few hands of Go Johnny Go Go Go Go with mates, realizes that cards are now greasy and used and wonders why on earth they spent £10 on them in the first place.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

There's NO EFFIN' WAY I'll ever hand my money over to Elite or Steve Wilcox. I've been saying this from even before the 'Recreated Spectrum' Kickstarter. Effing huster! SW, go F yourself!
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

"Following diligent investigation of the available information it has been concluded that the copyright in Manic Miner does not belong to Mr Smith."....."Link Legal has been instructed to seek from Mr Smith a public retraction of and apology for his recent public statement(s)."

I don't think I've ever seen a Kickstarter project shoot itself in the foot so quickly.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Bizzley wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26 pm I don't think I've ever seen a Kickstarter project shoot itself in the foot so quickly.
Yeah, Elite and Steve Wilcox are all about goodwill towards people ... only if those people are themselves. F00k everyone else.
This is the NOT the way to get Spectrum owners on your side ... and I think we can all safely agree that most of the 66 backers so far are pretty clueless and probably wouldn't have pledged if they knew the whole backstory of Elite. Well, here's hoping they won't get funded.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Is the actual copyright owner mentioned somewhere? Elite Systems claim they have the rights for the IP use, but I can't find who the actual owner is supposed to be.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Quoting from this link:
Originally Manic Miner was a game for the ZX Spectrum, developed by Mr Matthew Smith.

Following diligent investigation of the available information it has been concluded that the copyright in Manic Miner does not belong to Mr Smith.

In 2017, Elite Systems Group Ltd entered into a long term, exclusive licence agreement with the copyright owner upon which it has and continues to rely.

Elite’s lawyer, Ellen Walker FInstPa (Link Legal) has been in correspondence with Mr Smith for some weeks. Mr Smith has been invited to provide evidence to support his assertions as to copyright. By his own admission, Mr Smith does not have such evidence. Consequently Mr Smith’s assertions are denied. Link Legal has been instructed to seek from Mr Smith a public retraction of and apology for his recent public statement(s).
However:
  • The author (of a game) owns the IP by default. It means the author doesn't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is on whoever claims otherwise.
  • It was documented (and never disputed) at the time that Matthew Smith owned the IP for Manic Miner. And JSW was authored by him at Software Projects, a company also co-owned by him. See http://www.carlylesmith.karoo.net/spect ... ttpcw.html
  • Even when an IP belongs to a company, when this company is terminated, the IP reverts to the author by default.
Therefore it's Elite Systems that has the obligation to provide all the required evidence, to support its assertions about these copyright alegations.
DarkTrancer

Post by DarkTrancer »

I have had and used my speccy since the day i got it for christmas in 1982, through all the 16bit/32bit/64bit computers and consoles that followed.
When everyone else classed my beloved speccy as a "dead machine" or "ancient" i still compared every game i played to Elite for longevity and addictiveness.
Now days it is hip to be a retrogamer, and we see all these new company's selling pin/badges, framed 3d printed characters, t-shirts, cups and collector cards! I see these people as cash grabbers and bring nothing to the community.
There are many people that still give away their games and utilitys for free, and some who charge a tiny amount to give a cassette version of their latest offering, those are the true keepers of the speccy spirit. So, i am not against someone charging for software, t-shirts or whatever but lets not hide a cashgrab as anything other than that.

Happy New year to all those writing software or keeping up websites for the fans.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]DarkTrancer[/mention]

I agree with you completely. Part of the issue is that people of our sort of age band are supposed to have lots of disposable income, and these organisations are trying to tap into this. This is fine if they are good quality products, but others are questionable (or don't even exist).
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Readers will be disappointed\pleased to hear that this campaign failed to reach its goal last night, falling short of the required amount by £3635 (61%) and attracting a meagre 85 backers.

Undaunted, Elite Systems Ltd. say they are going to try again in a month or two with a reduced deck run that presumably means a much lower funding goal. Which means those of us who didn't want to touch this with a ten foot barge-pole the first time round can have the chance to do so all over again.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Bizzley wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 pm Which means those of us who didn't want to touch this with a ten foot barge-pole the first time round can have the chance to do so all over again.
Haha :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I just noticed that Roger Tissyman name is mispelled multiple times in the campaign page.