Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

¡Bienvenido, oblo! 😃
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

oblo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 pm Greetings from Spain!

Long-time ZX Spectrum user, I started borrowing/using 48ks from friends/school and learning from programming books that were on the public library, until I could afford a +2A. Since then, I like to "mess" with anything about our speccys (gaming, harware and software) but after all this time I still considered myself a "seasoned amateur", mainly because I barely can read assembler :roll:

I discovered yesterday this forum so I decide to register to share what I can and to ask what I (still) don't know. Anyway, here are a few links with some of the games I developed until now:

O-trix
O-cman
2x1 Depthcharge/Escape
O-Puzz Attack!

... and in a few days I hope to release a new one :)

Later!
Welcome here too, Oblo! Looking forward to seeing your new game! ;)

It is a pleasure to have more Spectrum classic members over here :)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

oblo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 pm Greetings from Spain!
Hey, [mention]oblo[/mention]! Fancy seeing you here. Welcome!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome @[mention]oblo[/mention]

Just to let you know that the first two games are available on the main Spectrum Computing website without the need to go elsewhere:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=15743

I'm sure [mention]R-Tape[/mention] will add the other two, if that is OK with you?
oblo
Drutt

Post by oblo »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:19 pm Welcome @@oblo

Just to let you know that the first two games are available on the main Spectrum Computing website without the need to go elsewhere:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=15743

I'm sure @R-Tape will add the other two, if that is OK with you?
Of course, no problem at all and thanks for the link.
Cheers.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Good afternoon.

I'm Nick McLelland, a fairly regular contributor/rambler on the World Of Spectrum forum, mainly reviewing games in the 1980's to 2010's threads and I thought it was about time I registered on this forum as well so I can waffle away here also. :)

My first experience with a Speccy was playing Manic Miner on my uncle's back in 1983 and was instantly hooked and I badgered my parents for one that Christmas. I have recently been trying to get to grips with such utilities such as PAW and AGD but this irritating thing called real life keeps getting in the way. ;)

So, hello again and I hope to have just as much fun reading and posting on this site as I do on WOS.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Hello!
Nick wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 pm I have recently been trying to get to grips with such utilities such as PAW and AGD but this irritating thing called real life keeps getting in the way. ;)
Have you made a Speccy game before? If not, make 2019 the year!
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Back around 1987 time myself and mate made a couple of games using Argus Press' Arcade Creator and sent them off to Alternative Software. My mate was convinced that we were on our way to being millionaires , the games got rejected. :oops: :D

If I remember right, one was a shoot-em-up called Solar Fire and other was a platform affair called Attack Of The Killer Space Hoppers and no I do not have any copies of them floating around.

I am hoping that finally I will get round to creating at least one game this coming year, but don't hold your breath everyone. ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Welcome, [mention]Nick[/mention] !
SUPERMORITZ

Post by SUPERMORITZ »

Hi, my name is Sebastian.

I am addicted to the speccy, but i still can't do any coding in machine code (which i want to learn since ages...)
Most of the time i am getting on the nerves of experienced users (sorry Dave!) to create some games with AGD or other tools.
I am kind of obsessed to build a 8 bit monument of my dog, who is seriously ill.
Slowly approaching my 50s i am still feeling like 13 years old, when it comes to 8-bit fever.
Collecting all kinds of speccy stuff, i have regularly arguments with my wife (she don't live in the 8-bit world and can not understand, why it is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious to touch a rubber key...she wants me to do a day job, to pay the bills and put all the "old rubbish" in the dustbin...when she was young she owned a C64, so i can't blame her to be so cruel ;) )

Long live the speccy!!!!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

SUPERMORITZ wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:28 pm when she was young she owned a C64
And you . . . married her? :o
You’ve brought it on yourself, man.

:lol:

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
SUPERMORITZ

Post by SUPERMORITZ »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 pm
SUPERMORITZ wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:28 pm when she was young she owned a C64
And you . . . married her? :o
You’ve brought it on yourself, man.

:lol:
She knows nada about 8-bit computers, but she has a good taste in men :lol:
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

Hi!

I'm new to this forum. My name is Alberto, I've been more-or-less following the internet Spectrum community for 20 years or so but I haven't participated that much in online forums.

In the 90s I used to have a page (in Spanish) with my favourite games, emulators and links to some of the websites that already existed back then (WoS, Planet Sinclair, El Mundo del Spectrum ...). I even wrote a simple tool for DOS and Linux called ZXSEE that allowed the user to display .SCR files and convert them to/from other formats.

I'm also a long time Linux user and occasional contributor to the Fuse emulator, my main responsibility is to make Fuse available in Debian (and indirectly Ubuntu and other related distributions) and more recently Flatpak.

And I think that's all, I don't know if I'll participate much here but I'm glad to see the Spectrum community still going strong.

See you around!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Welcome aboard, [mention]CaptainKrenon[/mention]!

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

¡Bienvenido, Alberto!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome to the forums [mention]CaptainKrenon[/mention]

Can I take the opportunity to ask you a couple of questions about the Ubuntu packaging of Fuse, and about Flatpak?

The version in Bionic (18.04 LTS) is 1.5.1, in 18.10 we have 1.5.6, and in the forthcoming 19.04 release we have the latest version 1.5.7. Is there a way (without using Flatpak or building from source) that you can still run 1.5.7 whilst still on the LTS version of Ubuntu? So can you run 19.04 packages on 18.04 LTS or are you likely to come up with dependency issues?

Finally, I like the idea of Flatpaks, AppImages, and Snaps to make it easy to be on the latest versions without going down the Arch route, but because of their structure they don't take on the theming of the host machine (For example I use the Arc GTK Theme). Do you know if there are any plans to make this possible?

Apologies for asking so many questions!
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Bienvenido!!

Now I am curious to see what your old webpage was?!! What was the name? :)

And by the way, where did you get your avatar from? :)

Un saludo!

CaptainKrenon wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:41 pm Hi!

I'm new to this forum. My name is Alberto, I've been more-or-less following the internet Spectrum community for 20 years or so but I haven't participated that much in online forums.

In the 90s I used to have a page (in Spanish) with my favourite games, emulators and links to some of the websites that already existed back then (WoS, Planet Sinclair, El Mundo del Spectrum ...). I even wrote a simple tool for DOS and Linux called ZXSEE that allowed the user to display .SCR files and convert them to/from other formats.

I'm also a long time Linux user and occasional contributor to the Fuse emulator, my main responsibility is to make Fuse available in Debian (and indirectly Ubuntu and other related distributions) and more recently Flatpak.

And I think that's all, I don't know if I'll participate much here but I'm glad to see the Spectrum community still going strong.

See you around!
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:10 pm Welcome to the forums @CaptainKrenon

Can I take the opportunity to ask you a couple of questions about the Ubuntu packaging of Fuse, and about Flatpak?
Hi Peter,

if you want to use packages from a more recent version of your distribution you typically need to rebuild them. This is not always easy or even possible but Fuse uses pretty standard libraries so the process is straightforward.

In brief:

1) Open /etc/apt/sources.list and add a deb-src line for the distribution you want to get your packages from. In your case, disco (19.04). I'm a Debian user so this might be inaccurate but it should be something like this:

Code: Select all

deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu disco universe
2) Download the libspectrum sources from 19.04:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep libspectrum
$ apt-get source libspectrum
3) Build and install libspectrum (you may need the 'fakeroot' package):

$ cd libspectrum-1.4.4
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
$ cd ..
$ sudo dpkg -i libspectrum8_1.4.4-1_amd64.deb libspectrum-dev_1.4.4-1_amd64.deb
4) Repeat step 3 for fuse-emulator and (if you want) for fuse-emulator-utils

That should be it!

About the Flatpak question, I believe this post answers it:

https://blog.tingping.se/2017/05/11/fla ... eming.html

I hope that helps!
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:10 pm Is there a way (without using Flatpak or building from source) that you can still run 1.5.7 whilst still on the LTS version of Ubuntu?
I forgot to add: I guess you can try to simply install the binary packages from a more recent distribution. Change temporarily the deb entry in your sources.list, then apt-get update followed by apt-get install fuse-emulator-gtk (or -sdl).

If APT only tells you that it needs to install newer versions of Fuse and libspectrum then it should be safe to proceed, otherwise I'd rather rebuild from source as I explained earlier. APT will give you the chance to cancel the upgrade if it needs to install extra packages.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you [mention]CaptainKrenon[/mention]
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

Ivanzx wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm Now I am curious to see what your old webpage was?!! What was the name? :)
It was simply "Mi páginal personal" or something like that, with the classic 90s/Geocities design :-) It must have been around 1997 or so. Initially it was only Spectrum content, then I added some Linux stuff.
Ivanzx wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 pm And by the way, where did you get your avatar from? :)
Rebelstar II, and Captain Krenon is one of the characters. It was one of my favourite games when I was
13 (well, it still is).
Mort
Microbot

Post by Mort »

Hi Guys,
Mort here, sorry missed out completely on this site. As per my signature ;-)

Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)

Still working on old mags , mainly sorting out C&Vg from the 80`s to be completed in 600dpi , Ace (lots of missing) , Sinclair User (missing the middle page of the turtles issues around 105 and also the poster from December 1985 .

Inlays , have done 4000 odd spectrum games now in 4k or 600dpi. If you look under zzapmort. If you find any that are missing and can donate or scan and send me the images, much appreciated.

Any help always appreciated.
Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]Mort[/mention]

Thank you for all the scanning you have been doing, especially the my recent 600dpi ones. I know [mention]pavero[/mention] has been adding these to our site.

You have a 'thankyou' mentioning the sites homepage!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Hello, I'm Andy Jenkinson (uglifruit).
Leicester, UK. Zx81, then speccy user. Did some assembly programming as a nerdy kid, but nothing exciting.

Fast forward many years, still do some assembly stuff, and have a couple of half finished games that I'm telling myself I need to finish. (As well as a few BASIC ones that I have finished).

In real life I teach music tech, and do lots of music things. ...Some of which has have speccy leanings. For example I wrote an album of library music, about 2/3rds of which used my 1bit 48k spectrum musical experiments within it. I've also written a musical ("high score musical") about 80s video game rivalry. Again lots of speccy sounds. 2018 I finally did a gig using just spectrums and custom software I'd written.

Anyway, I've just got a ZX Omni 128hq, to join my 48k models. So... hello all.
CLEAR 23855
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

uglifruit wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm ….......2018 I finally did a gig using just spectrums and custom software I'd written.

Anyway, I've just got a ZX Omni 128hq, to join my 48k models. So... hello all.
Howdy do, and have you got any vids of your gig?