Failed project - SOS - Call for help!!!!

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
SUPERMORITZ

Failed project - SOS - Call for help!!!!

Post by SUPERMORITZ »

Hi guys,

ages ago i started a SEUD Project "Mike The Guitar - The Shooter".
Story: "Mike is on his mission to bring Rock'n Roll to the universe, but the bad asses Beethoven, Chopin and Mozart are calling their imperial troupes of violins, harps, trumpets and grandpianos to defeat our magnificient hero...
Now it is up to you:
'Put another dime in the Jukebox, baby' and help Mike to conquer to musical universe!!!!!"

There are some known bugs of SEUD, but i finally could put a demo game together. BUT...sound is not working and to be honest a Rock'n Roll game needs a fantastic soundtrack. Thing is, SEUD seems to be out of interest in the community...
So my question, is any SEUD veteran online, who is capable to add music to the game ????(Of course the veteran can bring him in with any new idea, which helps to smooth the gameplay and improve the attack waves!!). I will send the demo, if anyone is daring enough :geek:

And not to forget: Andy Green made a wonderful loading screen. It is quite a shame, that it is unused and i am hardly brave enough to talk to Andy again ;)

Cheers,

Sebastian

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Failed project - SOS - Call for help!!!!

Post by Ralf »

I can't help with the music but would like just to say that it looks great.
I really wish taht someone helps you with the music as it seems to deserve it.
SUPERMORITZ

Post by SUPERMORITZ »

Ralf wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:43 am I can't help with the music but would like just to say that it looks great.
I really wish taht someone helps you with the music as it seems to deserve it.
Thanks for your supportive feedback :)
Fingers crossed. I put much time and effort into the game. It was hell for Uwe, who made most of the sprites, too ;) I was pleased with the result...(and i am in love with Andy's Loading Screen)...but then... :(

Cheers (and all the best for the new year :) :) :) :) :) :) ),

Sebastian
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It would be great to see this project finished, and a quality AY track really does enhance a game.

I'm getting pretty familiar with SEUD, as I'm making progress to patch it to give scrolling colours. Sound is trickier though, as SEUD uses the stack a lot, and has to run with interrupts disabled.

I can only think of a naff solution: leave the interrupts disabled, and CALL the AY music track twice during the game main loop. If they are placed correctly, the track will play at very roughly 50fps (ish, or so, give or take). Worth a try at least...

It might be an interesting artistic challenge for a musician to create a track that sounds good at slightly variable speed!

Have you got a track in mind Seb?
SUPERMORITZ

Post by SUPERMORITZ »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:13 pm It would be great to see this project finished, and a quality AY track really does enhance a game.

I'm getting pretty familiar with SEUD, as I'm making progress to patch it to give scrolling colours. Sound is trickier though, as SEUD uses the stack a lot, and has to run with interrupts disabled.

I can only think of a naff solution: leave the interrupts disabled, and CALL the AY music track twice during the game main loop. If they are placed correctly, the track will play at very roughly 50fps (ish, or so, give or take). Worth a try at least...

It might be an interesting artistic challenge for a musician to create a track that sounds good at slightly variable speed!

Have you got a track in mind Seb?
Hi Dave,
great that you keep faith in SEUD! There are several tunes i like, but i got a crush on this one
https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/n/nq1/nomansln/

Cheers
Sebastian
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

My experience is that you just need to call the music player during each frame. You don't have to place it in interrupt handling code, you don't have to do it at frame beginning, you can do it as well in the middle of the frame or close to its end.

You can even on some frames call the music player at the beginning and at some in the middle. Purists will tell you that's wrong but it sounds all right to me and my ear doesn't get the difference. I did it this way in my games like Janosik or Wunderwaffe. They are 25 fps and I do in code different stuff in equal frames and different in odd frames which involves calling music player at different moments as well.