Graph Paper

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Rorthron
Site Admin

Re: Graph Paper

Post by Rorthron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:53 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:21 pm
Rorthron wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:04 pm
:D

Done on paper, because I was too incompetent to do them in software!
I've never tried this way. Did you scan it in, resize and open in ZX-Paint to finish?
No. I built an Excel spreadsheet for the whole screen, manually input each pixel as a 1 or 0 and used formulae to convert these into a string of values for 0x4000 and beyond (I hope I got that right). I did something similar for the attributes.

I can't think why more people don't do it that way. :)
0 x

1024MAK
Dizzy

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:04 pm

In the past when I have used graph paper to design UDG and graphics, at first I always manually calculated the decimal value to enter into the Spectrum. Soon after, I started to use a scientific calculator that has binary, hexadecimal and of course decimal modes. Much easier ;)
Now I have an iPad app. and computer based calculators that can convert binary to hexadecimal or decimal.

The trouble with using spreadsheets, is that not all formats/versions support the binary and hexadecimal operators/functions :(
My experience is from a few years ago, so maybe things have moved forward.

Mark
0 x

RMartins
Berk

Post by RMartins » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 pm

This reminds me of a few graphics I found 4 months ago, with 30+ years, when I was doing games in Basic.
I have to scan those, one of these days.

They were all done in some "accountant" grid paper, my parent gave me from a firm that had been closed.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:04 pm
In the past when I have used graph paper to design UDG and graphics, at first I always manually calculated the decimal value to enter into the Spectrum. Soon after, I started to use a scientific calculator that has binary, hexadecimal and of course decimal modes. Much easier ;)
Now I have an iPad app. and computer based calculators that can convert binary to hexadecimal or decimal.

The trouble with using spreadsheets, is that not all formats/versions support the binary and hexadecimal operators/functions :(
My experience is from a few years ago, so maybe things have moved forward.

Mark
Google Sheets covers this very well now, and its the option I use when I'm not feeling retro!

HEX2DEC: Converts a signed hexadecimal number to decimal format.
HEX2BIN: Converts a signed hexadecimal number to signed binary format.
DEC2HEX: Converts a decimal number to signed hexadecimal format.
DEC2BIN: Converts a decimal number to signed binary format.
BIN2HEX: Converts a signed binary number to signed hexadecimal format.
BIN2DEC: Converts a signed binary number to decimal format.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 pm

RMartins wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 pm
This reminds me of a few graphics I found 4 months ago, with 30+ years, when I was doing games in Basic.
I have to scan those, one of these days.

They were all done in some "accountant" grid paper, my parent gave me from a firm that had been closed.
Please do!
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Rorthron wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:53 pm
No. I built an Excel spreadsheet for the whole screen, manually input each pixel as a 1 or 0 and used formulae to convert these into a string of values for 0x4000 and beyond (I hope I got that right).
Oof!
Rorthron wrote:
I did something similar for the attributes.
I'm struggling to visualise this (I get the pixels), I'll have to try it. How on earth did you decide how to place the attributes? DId ZX-Paint not come into this somewhere?!
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:34 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 pm
HEX2DEC: Converts a signed hexadecimal number to decimal format.
Despite numerous attempts at learning it by heart (crib sheets on the walls at work etc) I still need to rely on this one!
0 x

Joefish
Dizzy

Post by Joefish » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:32 am

The sprites and font in Buzzsaw+ were designed as binary data statements in the PASMO listing!
0 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 am

R-Tape wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 pm
Rorthron wrote:
I did something similar for the attributes.
I'm struggling to visualise this (I get the pixels), I'll have to try it. How on earth did you decide how to place the attributes? DId ZX-Paint not come into this somewhere?!
If my memory serves me well, I had a separate sheet with three drop-down menus per character: one for INK, one for PAPER and one for BRIGHT. Formulae converted the data into attribute values.

I tried ZX Paintbrush, but couldn't get the hang of it, so I decided to scale up my usual sprite design method to a full screen. It worked for me, but I'm probably a bit... unusual... in that regard.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Joefish wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:32 am
The sprites and font in Buzzsaw+ were designed as binary data statements in the PASMO listing!
It works! Though I assumed you used contemporary packages, I pictured you agonising over every pixel for months.
Rorthron wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 am
If my memory serves me well, I had a separate sheet with three drop-down menus per character: one for INK, one for PAPER and one for BRIGHT. Formulae converted the data into attribute values.

I tried ZX Paintbrush, but couldn't get the hang of it, so I decided to scale up my usual sprite design method to a full screen. It worked for me, but I'm probably a bit... unusual... in that regard.
Yep :-p , as you say - it works.

We should do a SCREEN$ comp sometime.
0 x