Options for slowing down compiled basic

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Jodo
Drutt

Options for slowing down compiled basic

Post by Jodo »

Having completed writing about 80% of an arcade game I've compiled it in Hisoft Basic and now need to slow it down. I can do this with a Pause statement in the main loop and get it to the speed I require but is this good practice when Pause is interruptable?

Are there any other better options? My basic skills are, well, basic :D and the only other option I can think of is a For...Next loop.

Thanks!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Options for slowing down compiled basic

Post by Ralf »

Yes, use FOR x=1 TO 1000:NEXT x ;) Won't get interrupted by keypress, unlike PAUSE
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Have you considered a bit of in game BEEPer music? That can't be interrupted, and you could tailor it to the speed& mood you want.
Jodo
Drutt

Post by Jodo »

Ralf wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 am Yes, use FOR x=1 TO 1000:NEXT x ;) Won't get interrupted by keypress, unlike PAUSE
Thanks Ralf, I think I'll use this to get it where I want it for testing at least.
R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 am Have you considered a bit of in game BEEPer music? That can't be interrupted, and you could tailor it to the speed& mood you want.
Thanks R-Tape for the reminder. I'd forgotten reading people use the sound to slow code down. Would it just be a case of calling a subroutine holding the music every lap of the main loop, and maybe use a counter in a computed goto to play the next note in the sequence? Or is there much more to it?
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

If interrupts are still running, you could wait for the interrupt counter at 23672 to change, which it does every 1/50 seconds.
Jodo
Drutt

Post by Jodo »

Kweepa wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:43 pm If interrupts are still running, you could wait for the interrupt counter at 23672 to change, which it does every 1/50 seconds.
Thanks Kweepa, I'll look into it. Not sure I'll be capable of implementing that though!
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Jodo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 pm
Kweepa wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:43 pm If interrupts are still running, you could wait for the interrupt counter at 23672 to change, which it does every 1/50 seconds.
Thanks Kweepa, I'll look into it. Not sure I'll be capable of implementing that though!
If the interrupts are running, something like this should work (though I haven't written any BASIC for 30+ years, so pls forgive any syntax errors!):

10 LET LAST_FR = 0: REM clear last frame variable

main loop:
100 IF LAST_FR = PEEK 23672 THEN GO TO 100 : REM keep looping (ie. wait) if frame counter hasn't changed, ie. we're still on the same frame
110 LET LAST_FR = PEEK 23672 : REM store new frame for next time

This BASIC should delay the game by a max of one frame in the main loop.