Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by uglifruit »

stupidget wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 pm Howdy do, and have you got any vids of your gig?
The gig wasn't filmed (though the audio was recorded), but here's me practicing for the gig ...

At the venue :
https://youtu.be/cQcWz4JG-yk

And in my kitchen :
https://youtu.be/KfNXTjF3KP4

Which gives a good indication as to how it might have been.
CLEAR 23855
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Very nice indeed chief. Synthwave on a Speccy 👍👍👍👍
saboteur
Drutt

Post by saboteur »

Hi.

I am Rafa Vico, developer of some old spectrum games (Rafael Vico Costa in database) and begining to code new games again. I am from Spain, and a friend recommended me this site.

I wait to visit this world a lot from now. ;)
Rafa Vico, an old zx creator.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi.

I am Rafa Vico, developer of some old spectrum games (Rafael Vico Costa in database) and begining to code new games again. I am from Spain, and a friend recommended me this site.

Hi Rafael, welcome to the forums !
I had a look on your works in the database. Seems that your favourite genre were text games.

Are you going to create more text games or maybe something more action oriented ? ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Bienvenido, Rafa!

New games are very welcomed in this forum, so keep the work! :)
saboteur
Drutt

Post by saboteur »

Ralf wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:40 pm Hi Rafael, welcome to the forums !
I had a look on your works in the database. Seems that your favourite genre were text games.

Are you going to create more text games or maybe something more action oriented ? ;)
Action for now, I made two games for ZX-Dev, but text games with icon menu are interesting ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

saboteur wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm Hi.

Hola Rafa! You can check out, but... :mrgreen:

and begining to code new games again.
Are you still coding, or are you mainly AGD now? Either way, great news!
saboteur
Drutt

Post by saboteur »

I used AGD, and a little assembler, for 3 games past year (one of them is the continuation of that game xD ).

Anyway, I am testing z88dk to make more game this year, I need more flexibility.
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

Hello,

I think there is a patteren here :) Middle aged Speccy fan. In to the realstuff, no emulators and been collecting bits and pieces for about 10 years now. Ive got three 48k with various peripherals. They put a smile on my face when i use them and ive had genuine fun playing a couple of games, but mostly now just learning a bit of programming to put something together. I tend to only really get into it for a couple of months a year but really enjoy having the stuff. This site http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/ has - and I still find this mind blowing - enabled me to save and read from my home PC like 1985 meets 2019 no problem.

Oh and a big thank you to Gary Plowman I got your "ZX Spectrum Games Code Club" book, saw a ref to it here and bought it on amazon. Now stuff is beginning to take shape so thanks for the easy to read book.

Paul
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Welcome to the forums, [mention]Hedge1970[/mention]!

Real hardware is the way to go. Cheers!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PaultheRoman
Drutt

Post by PaultheRoman »

Hello!

I'm a new-ish Speccy user. I'm Hispanic and quite young, 22 today, and basically the reason why I'm here is because after investigating the Speccy for quite a bit of time, I've decided that it's basically one of the best retro consoles/computers you can get into, and would like to join a friendly community about it. An active community and homebrew community, bunch of cool games, demos, artwork, chiptune still getting created, I love it! I currently use emulators, but I'm trying to save to hopefully to get actual hardware. Looking at this:

https://retroradionics.co.uk/shop.html# ... y=29185006

-Pablo
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]PaultheRoman[/mention]

I've seen mixed reviews regarding both Retro Radionics and the Omni Desktop. Checkout reviews before purchasing.

Why not buy an original machine?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Hello! I've posted here a few times but I thought I might make a formal introduction. Like most people here I assume, I got a Speccy when I was a kid and it started my love of writing games which has never left me. I'm a professional dev (but not writing games) so I do it in my spare time, mainly remakes of Spectrum games with modern twists. I must admit, I much prefer the nostalgia of the Speccy to actually playing the games again, which I rarely do. I loving flicking through old mags, watching stuff like Kim Justice vids, and buying any retro books like the Ocean/US Gold/Hewson books. Anyone else like this?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Welcome aboard [mention]PaultheRoman[/mention]

Like [mention]PeterJ[/mention] says I would look at getting original hardware, get it modded to work with modern TV's and then buy a DivMMC so you can run games from an SD Card.
PaultheRoman
Drutt

Post by PaultheRoman »

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] [mention]stupidget[/mention]
The reason why I'm looking at the Omni Desktop is because I want a 128k ram Speccy that can play all the games, but I also love how the 48k Speccy looks. And the Omni Desktop seems to fit those two things on my wishlist. Do you guys have any other suggestions? :D
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]PaultheRoman[/mention] If you want the full 128K experience and the original Spectrum brand you want a Sinclair 128. This is the most sought after model though so prepare to pay a premium.

My advice is use an emulator for a few months, see if you still have loads of interest. If so, then invest in some hardware.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

PaultheRoman wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:13 pm @PeterJ @stupidget
The reason why I'm looking at the Omni Desktop is because I want a 128k ram Speccy that can play all the games, but I also love how the 48k Speccy looks. And the Omni Desktop seems to fit those two things on my wishlist. Do you guys have any other suggestions? :D
Have a look at this review on YouTube and make your own decision. If you buy one, let us know how you get on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2rZSt3DBY0
Climacus
Drutt

Post by Climacus »

Hello!!!

Sorry. I joined this group a while ago, but I had not introduced myself.

Im Climacus. Im from Spain and I love Spectrum!!!
I bought one in 1983 and I learned assembler in these days.
My dream always was to program for Spectrum and now (from 2012) Ive written some games such as:

Gimme Bright
Retroinvaders
Speccy Bross
RIP
Knigthmare ZX
Knightmare 2 ZX
Specsit
Retroforce
Tiki Taca

I like to investigate how the spectrum games have been made. Its very interesting how genious thought how to solve problems before you!!!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This is the official welcome to [mention]bigjon[/mention], and also—bloody well check your PMs lad!

I want to get my hands on your 30 minute machine code tutorial :)
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Been here since early December '17, so I feel like I know a lot of you (one sidedly) quite well by now. Love that people are keeping the scene alive like this. Until I started browsing here regularly, I had no idea just how big the international scene was, especially when the clones are taken into account. The love for the machine worldwide is properly heart warming.

My background is engineering (HW and SW), but a house husband nowadays for health reasons. Also worked in an indie computer shop in north London 87-97, great times. My first love was a Speccy, and looking forward to getting my ZX Next soon, but as you can imagine I'm a tech lover with an affinity for the 'good old days' whatever the hardware.

Right, back to my spot in the shadows..

Cheers,

Richard.
bigjon
Drutt

Post by bigjon »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 pm This is the official welcome to @bigjon, and also—bloody well check your PMs lad!

I want to get my hands on your 30 minute machine code tutorial :)
Howdy folks, I'm just an occasional dabbler in Speccy-related nostalgia at the moment. The 30-minute machine code tutorial I wrote 10 years ago is still available, kindly hosted by Arjun at https://chuntey.wordpress.com/2010/01/1 ... 0-minutes/
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome [mention]DouglasReynholm[/mention]. IT crowd homage? (Edit—of course it is, just realised you're called Richard)
DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:47 pm Right, back to my spot in the shadows..
Don't feel you have to!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Hi [mention]bigjon[/mention], I just want to say thanks for your great tutorial! It really helped me when I first started learning machine code. But one thing in it confused me for years - when you say that EI is used to enable the keyboard and DI to disable it. That had me believing that interrupts and the keyboard were somehow linked and you couldn't do an IN without first turning interrupts on! Actually interrupts have nothing to do with the keyboard and only affect the ROM keyboard routine. But it's a nice tutorial for beginners and I still thought it was helpful ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

djnzx48 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm Hi @bigjon, I just want to say thanks for your great tutorial! It really helped me when I first started learning machine code.
I'll second that. The code was way over my head, but it introduced me to using an assembler, and gave me the confidence to have a bash. It was a great 'way in' to Jonathan's book

Thanks Jon (and Jon!)
UltraNarwhal
Drutt

Post by UltraNarwhal »

Hello I'm UltraNarwhal, an indie dev for PC (Windows/Linux).
I'm also creating smaller games for older systems, now that there are easy to use tools available (AGD/NESmaker/RedPill).
My first release for PC is Project Hornwhale, out Q2 2019 (after several years working on it)
[media]https://youtu.be/dLt6kY--SEE[/media]

Currently released Speccy games being Blimpgeddon, OctuKitty and PTM.

I grew up with a 48K Speccy and after many attempts to upgrade to 128K models and getting failing systems, made the bigger upgrade to a Commodore 64 :shock: Had lots of fun on the C64 and bought many games in the few years I had it before moving on to 16bit Mega Drive and Amiga.

While looking for a game engine to make C64 games (not SEUCK) I discovered AGD.