Poll:The Odin big four

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Your fave game?

Nodes of Yesod
50%
Robin of the Wood
38%
The Arc of Yesod
No votes
Heartland
13%

Total votes: 24

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Poll:The Odin big four

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Odin Computer Graphics (first Thor Computer Software) made great games (and some not so great!): Nodes of Yesod, Heartland, Sidewize, I.C.U.P.S., ... but I selected which I think they are the 4 big titles of this company to make a poll. Vote and tell your views.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Poll:The Odin big 4

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

My fave is Nodes of Yesod. It's one of those games that shocked me when I first played it. Being on the surface on the moon at the beginning of an adventure was really promising! :)

Heartland was another great adventure, so it was Robin of the Wood, but I've always found the forest too big and monotonous.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Re: Poll:The Odin big four

Post by MatGubbins »

Graphics are brilliant on all Odin games, but the games are, after the exciting first few days, mind numbing and boring to play, collect the items and get it stolen again by a nasty or need collecting the wrong item to save it. I played them all back in the day, completed Robin (no pokes), but they were just the same plodding from room to room in the hope of finding that last item or the bishop to bash. With a worthless ending to them all. Mapped and done.
I always thought that ICUPS and Hypaball were slightly better.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nodes, because of the memories rather than being enjoyable to play.

Experience BITD: Jesus! I'm on the moon! I can jump down craters! Look at the Earth in the sky! This is incredible! Wow I can release a mole!

Experience now: Jesus! I hope the site I got this from is safe, I bought a tape but it doesn't work. Nice graphics. This game is impossibile. I'm going to release a mole.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Crosswize - brutally hard but looks incredible.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

For me they all are games that you weren't supposed to ever complete. Walk, enjoy the experience, sometimes see something not seen before but to play it properly you would have to map them. And I was never patient enough to do it in my teens.

As for the poll I choose Robin of the Wood, it had a great climate, something was almost magical and mystical abound wandering in this eery forest maze.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

MatGubbins wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:08 pm Graphics are brilliant on all Odin games, but the games are, after the exciting first few days, mind numbing and boring to play, collect the items and get it stolen again by a nasty or need collecting the wrong item to save it.
Yeah, what is it with Odin and their annoying 'nick your stuff' gameplay mechanisms.. :roll: :lol:

Anyway, went for Nodes. Could have been a fairly generic platformer, but I liked the somersaulting and the introduction of the space mole. I bet a lot of people probably jumped straight down without realising they needed to catch the mole first...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

Wanted Heartland since the Sinclair User cover-game (issue 53 - August 1986). Finally bought a copy off eBay around 2002, and enjoyed it. This game is in my top 4 games list.
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

Had to give my vote to Robin of the Wood as it was the only one of the four that I actually played. Fortunately it was a game that I did love and played many, many times, though I didn’t manage to complete it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I always found the toughest part of Robin of the Wood was the map.

Having a wraparound map that you could be teleported around meant I was permanently lost.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com