New Upload & Edit Facility

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: New Upload & Edit Facility

Post by Ralf »

And I'll try to do some upload testing in the coming week. Couldn't devote much time to it recently but now it looks like I'll be having some more spare time.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Ralf[/mention]

As much testing as possible would be much appreciated. Let's iron out any bugs before we go live.

Just a reminder that changes requested during the testing phase won't be actioned. Please use email or the forum for now.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oh, Ok. Good to know then.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

druellan wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:30 pm Oh, Ok. Good to know then.
Don't worry though, nothing will be missed either way. I've been getting Pav's .txt files from it, and there's other stuff already there not announced on the forum that I'll follow up.

After we're done testing, I still think the juicier MIA stuff should be posted publicly so it can be enjoyed and discussed between updates.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 am
druellan wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:30 pm Oh, Ok. Good to know then.
Don't worry though, nothing will be missed either way. I've been getting Pav's .txt files from it, and there's other stuff already there not announced on the forum that I'll follow up.

After we're done testing, I still think the juicier MIA stuff should be posted publicly so it can be enjoyed and discussed between updates.
Thanks! I was going to do it anyway, since it is a good "real life" tests for the platform.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Interesting, seems that the URL needs the extra slash at the end (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/) otherwise it is invalid.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Also, I'm trying to upload a not-so-big file (7mb), and the upload fails with this error:

Seems that the editor resets, losing all editions.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

druellan wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am Also, I'm trying to upload a not-so-big file (7mb), and the upload fails with this error:

Seems that the editor resets, losing all editions.
Ah, sorry, that's probably over the upload filesize limit. [mention]PeterJ[/mention] what's it set to?

For the moment could we say don't upload Hi-Res inlays to via this form. They are handled differently (I don't fully understand it). For now could you make available elsewhere online and they'll be dealt with. Apologies for the vagueness; we need to get this side of things sorted.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Sorry, another suggestion. When you finish an edit, and you get this message:

A "New Edit" button there could be handy.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:21 am For the moment could we say don't upload Hi-Res inlays to via this form. They are handled differently (I don't fully understand it). For now could you make available elsewhere online and they'll be dealt with. Apologies for the vagueness; we need to get this side of things sorted.
Thanks! Yeah, I understand the idea is to have all that on Archive.org, but I think can be a good point to add an extra warning or just to display the max file size. This are PDFs, BTW, on a ZIP file, so, also in the future can be handy to have guidelines since the material can be very diverse.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]druellan[/mention]

I know it's not very prominent but above the upload button it does say 'File (max size: 2M)'

We should maybe put that in bold so it sticks out a bit more.

Peter
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm Hi @druellan
I know it's not very prominent but above the upload button it does say 'File (max size: 2M)'
We should maybe put that in bold so it sticks out a bit more.
Oh! Completely missed that!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the upload facility—generally I love it.

The best part is that I can easily keep track of, and get the files for new MIA, uMIA and new games.

It's terrible* for long lists of small corrections. I see a long list of separate entries that turn out to be a comment, and if there's more then it's easy to miss. For such things (like [mention]druellan[/mention]'s list of vector graphics**), it's best to do them as a concise list in a forum comment, an email, or PM.

Also, if you're uploading a game ( [mention]pavero[/mention] [mention]solaris104[/mention] [mention]Ralf[/mention] ), it'd be great if you could include screenshots. If it's not uMIA or a new entry, then you can also name them with the correct convention.

A last comment is that if you have a particularly interesting MIA/uMIA or new game, then it's often a good idea to mention it on the forum. That way people won't have to wait for the update, and we can enjoy it, or chat about the details.

*that's nothing to do with the form [mention]Mike Davies[/mention], it's great.
**already done, don't resubmit :-)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

All good points [mention]R-Tape[/mention].

When the final couple of issues are addressed I will add a link to the editing page from the forum top menu.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm It's terrible* for long lists of small corrections. I see a long list of separate entries that turn out to be a comment, and if there's more then it's easy to miss. For such things (like @druellan's list of vector graphics**), it's best to do them as a concise list in a forum comment, an email, or PM.
Also, many of my fixes required removing of data, instead of additions or modifications, something the new system can't handle at all.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]druellan[/mention]

Thanks for the feedback.

The main purpose here is for the addition of new titles or small amends to individual titles. It was never in the scope of the project for removal of information.

Please continue with the small bugs in the database thread for anything else. If you have a large number of small changes then email is probably best.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm Also, if you're uploading a game, it'd be great if you could include screenshots.
You can already do this. I uploaded two screenshots for Transfer.
R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm If it's not uMIA or a new entry, then you can also name them with the correct convention.
It would be fine, if the form itself could rename a target filename automatically - if ID_ENTRY is known.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Hi, [mention]PeterJ[/mention] , just uploaded a new inlay using the upload facility. I think I made it twice! :oops:

It's the first time I'm using it, I hope I made it well.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I will check [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention]

Thanks

Peter
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:25 pm Hi, @PeterJ , just uploaded a new inlay using the upload facility. I think I made it twice! :oops:

It's the first time I'm using it, I hope I made it well.
Looks good Juan, I can see Spy vs Spy III and Supergran. It won't be this update, but it'll happen :-)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

BTW, [mention]R-Tape[/mention] I added a ZXDev game, Droid Buster, released a while ago and still not on the ZXDB: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/en ... 2b91a94339
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi!
Just noticed the upload facility can't handle MLT files

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

There are other changes we want to make to the uploader, but Mike's not around at the moment.

So for now: zipzipzipetty zip everything :D
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

While creating the entry for Sophia II, I noticed that the upload/edit screen does not allow you to mark a game as a sequel/part of a series.

At least I was looking for it, but I could not find it anywhere :?

Will that be made available in the future?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Now, when I'm ready with my Larry remake I'll be back to uploading MIAs soon. So I'll give this upload form some more new testing :)